Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm very new to the forum, but I've been glancing here once in a while when looking for certain information about work in France.

Currently I am employed for less than a month in an office job in Paris, I'm still in my trial period (ends in a little more than a month). I am 23 years old, got a masters degree and am on a phd program. I am working here since my old job in Poland did not really offer me any other option than to move to be able to afford to continue my education.

I have been asked to prepare my "salary demand" for tomorrow. Currently I am paid 23500 a year gross. I got no idea how much exactly I'll be left with after all the social highway robbery and taxes, but I expect around 1100 euro a month?

I don't really know how much to ask for after I end the trial. The job is a typical 35h a week in an office with some bonuses like food slips for every day of the month (7e), I only work weekdays, 50% return on all transportation costs (public transport only). I'm working as a translator for polish and english (I don't know almost a word in French). The company uses english on a daily basis so it's not really any kind of disadvantage for me not to speak french (plus, they are paying for french classes starting next week for all employees that want it, me included).

I've already found an unfurnished flat for me for 455 e per month (16m2 in versiles, 45 minutes from my office), so now back to the topic:

The 23500 euro per year gross... How much should I ask for? What is the french average? With my degree and level of education can I ask for more just like that?

I know it may seem a bit messed up but I really needed to move somewhere to earn ANYTHING that would allow me to continue my education, but I'm quite afraid I'm being ripped off a bit. I work in Paris and prices are a bit steep around here.

Please help! I got very little time to prepare a statement ;)

All help is appreciated!
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi karsun,

this site may give you some idea of the salaries in various countries: WageIndicator.org - Salary Checks - Minimum Wage Checks - Salary Calculators - VIP Salaries - Time Calculator

I have no idea how accurate that is, but I used it last year to find out if I should take a job I was offered in Barcelona. Each country's site looks the same but they are only offered in their local language (at least I couldn't find any language options). So if you don't know any French, try it out for a country for which you know the language (e.g. Poland or UK), then you can try if you can figure out how to find the profession you want from the French site. That's what I did last year because I don't know much Spanish.

In the end, I didn't take the job because they offered too little. I could've been able to pay the rent but that's about it. Too bad, I was really looking forward to moving to Spain. But now I'm going to France instead, so things turned out pretty well after all. But my salary will still be paid from my employer in Finland, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the French salaries. Hopefully someone else will share their wisdom with you before you have to make the decision.

Good luck to you.

·
Administrator
50,028 Posts
You may want to find out if there is a "convention collective" for your employer and job. These are region- or nation-wide bargaining agreements, some of which spell out the pay grades for certain types of positions. The conventions are available online - but only in French, from what I've seen.

You'll need three times the rent to qualify for an apartment, but the 23,400 they're offering is adequate for that, no problem. Figure about 25% withheld from your salary each month for cotisations (social insurances). You only pay income taxes in the next year anyhow, so for the moment just make sure you have something left over for that.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.