Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 3763 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the suggestion of one of our regulars, we're opening this thread for everyone who has questions regarding salaries/compensation in Dubai.

Did you get a job offer but you are not sure if it's good enough? Post the details here and let the forum members give their opinions and advice. Usually there will be someone who is/has been/knows of someone who has been in a similar position to yours and can comment if the offer you just received is poor, average, good or above the standard.

Of course only you know your personal circumstances/standard of living/expectations, etc. but some third party perspective always helps :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just have a general comment about shifting to a new place where a better package is being offered. You should spend more time asking about the place you are going to move to and talking to the people you are going to work with especially your manager rather than be worried if your package is good enough.

Moving to a new place is always a challenging thing. You should be in particular careful with organizations that are just kicking off having no strategy setup yet, no policies or procedures and more importantly no fixed organization strcuture. Such organizations can be very chaotic, changes take place very often with deadlinespushing you hard and may cause undesirable outcomes if you are not careful.

Also, where a very attractive package offer is being floated, I find it very strange why some people miss asking more detailed questions about their actual work and what they will be involved in. Guys, where you get paid more, u have more responsibilites and extra hours to work so do ask whatever you want before you sign the actual contract and leave your old employer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Job Offer Secured! Decision Time

Hi folks, recently i was in Dubai looking for jobs.....i have got an appointment letter from one of the companies.......they are not paying me any relocation allowance......is that something which is not mandatory? Also they are not providing me with fuel allowance.....i have tried negotiating but to no avail. Decision needs to be made soon. What do you think is an estimated monthly expense if i need to go out 8 times a month....play a bit of golf.....squash and also join a gym!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Newkid,

Is actually much easier to advise you if you post what you got offered and for what kind of job, then people will be able to tell you if is a decent offer or not.

Relocation and fuel allowances are not mandatory, nor common these days, perhaps relocation but only for people who actually get hired whilst being overseas which is not your case.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also going out 8 times a month is very relative. You could go out for dinner and spend less than 100 dhs or out for a brunch and spend 400 dhs our out for brunch and drinking and clubbing and spend 1000 dhs in one evening.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ya thats true......i will be making close to AED 12000 per month.....when i mentioned going out....i meant partying and not food. Its a sales job in a sports company.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well is on the low side but you'll manage especially if you're young and you're coming alone although don't expect a lavish lifestyle and partying 8x times per month might be out of the question!! But all depends to the places you frequent really. Not sure about the gym membership though, mine has a gym so I don't pay extra for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK Guys, sounds like this thread needs some kicking! here I go:

I'm moving to AD in few three weeks, and I have accepted the following offer:

Basic Salary: AED 13,000
Allowances: AED 16,750 (Total AED 29,750)
Housing allowance: up to AED 210,000
Medical insurance for self and family
30 working days annual leave

The post is with the government of AD, Grade 2 (if this means anything)
I've got 4 years of UK experience, PhD, MSc, and a BSc.
Married with no children.

How good/bad do you think this offer is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi - I have an offer but they are wanting to tax equalise me - so they deduct the tax which would otherwise be payable if I was back home. I know this is sometimes done for expat postings but does not sit well with me considering Dubai is tax free.

Do people know if tax equlisation is common for posting in Dubai?

Also no hardship allowance is being paid. Is this common for Dubai?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adequate Salary

Hi,

I have been recently offered a salary of 14k - 16k AED to relocate to Abu Dhabi from Mumbai. I am single, with a bachelor's degree with about a year of work experience.

Kindly let me know if the salary is good enough to consider the relocation.

Regards

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Guys, sounds like this thread needs some kicking! here I go:

I'm moving to AD in few three weeks, and I have accepted the following offer:

Basic Salary: AED 13,000
Allowances: AED 16,750 (Total AED 29,750)
Housing allowance: up to AED 210,000
Medical insurance for self and family
30 working days annual leave

The post is with the government of AD, Grade 2 (if this means anything)
I've got 4 years of UK experience, PhD, MSc, and a BSc.
Married with no children.

How good/bad do you think this offer is?

Thanks.
Not too familiar with the 'grades' for jobs in AD so can't comment if is a fair salary or not - but sounds like a good offer considering you're getting a full housing allowance. Looks good in general :)

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I have been recently offered a salary of 14k - 16k AED to relocate to Abu Dhabi from Mumbai. I am single, with a bachelor's degree with about a year of work experience.

Kindly let me know if the salary is good enough to consider the relocation.

Regards
This is very vague - you're not saying what the job is, so money could be fair, could not be fair. Considering you only have 1 year of work experience I'd say is not too bad. However housing in AD is much more expensive than in Dubai. You need to work on your personal budget, find out how much housing will cost you, and decide if you want to go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@ dizzyizzy
i am currently working with a Big 4 consulting firm dealing with risk consulting, the job offered is the same though not with a big 4 consulting firm.

i am currently not looking to save much as i will be going for a masters degree and marriage etc is a long time away considering i am just 22. i think this opportunity would give a decent amount of international exposure.

further the amount mentioned is the base salary not too sure about the allowances offered.. will have to clear that out.
however i have cleared it out that the base salary is tax free and medical insurance is over and above the basic pay.
any suggestions on what sort of extra allowances could be offered..

according to you what would be a good basic salary to start out with it, if i were to live alone in a decent furnished studio apartment?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ dizzyizzy
i am currently working with a Big 4 consulting firm dealing with risk consulting, the job offered is the same though not with a big 4 consulting firm.

i am currently not looking to save much as i will be going for a masters degree and marriage etc is a long time away considering i am just 22. i think this opportunity would give a decent amount of international exposure.

further the amount mentioned is the base salary not too sure about the allowances offered.. will have to clear that out.
however i have cleared it out that the base salary is tax free and medical insurance is over and above the basic pay.
any suggestions on what sort of extra allowances could be offered..

according to you what would be a good basic salary to start out with it, if i were to live alone in a decent furnished studio apartment?
I have absolutely no clue how much consultants earn :) but if you read the sticky 'read before you post' you'll get an idea of how much living costs here. Check Dubizzle for rents, all depends on the area. Besides housing allowance and medical insurance ask for a yearly return ticket to your country, some companies will also give a transportation allowance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:confused:[

To be honest I don't know much abudhabi grades.

I feel it's insufficient a little ( there is a a gap of 5k to 10k at least ) but you can look for another bonuses, If they have any fixed bonus or any allowance not mentioned in the contract (it happens)

the gap depends on your experience in the UK ( 4 years are not counted to be very experienced in some fields ) So I'd like to know which field (job) you are talking about?

These few things you should be sure from them.
- your housing allowance is it in cash?
- some companies have 2 hrs lunch break and that makes you drive back to home during the rush time Surely you reach late.
- what is covered in your health insurance?

Regards,
A.rahim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Teaching in Mirdiff Salary opp

OK I am 24 ...teacher...no strings from New York area...and feeling adventurous

I have been offered:

11,500 AED mo
1 Bed apt, semi furnished
utility allowance
medical/dental
1 flight round trip home a year

I plan to embrace the local norms and eat local food. I will need to party with drinks lets say 4 times a month. Hoping to buy a Ducati :)

Can I live without worries and maybe save some Dirhams along the way?

I make a pretty good salary here and don't have to leave....

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I am 24 ...teacher...no strings from New York area...and feeling adventurous

I have been offered:

11,500 AED mo
1 Bed apt, semi furnished
utility allowance
medical/dental
1 flight round trip home a year

I plan to embrace the local norms and eat local food. I will need to party with drinks lets say 4 times a month. Hoping to buy a Ducati :)

Can I live without worries and maybe save some Dirhams along the way?

I make a pretty good salary here and don't have to leave....
You're joking on the Ducati, right ? :)

yeah you should do well on that package, not lavish but ok considering your housing and medical are paid for.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Looks like Dizzy is going to be on this thread full time now! :D

@ Expat_new: 12-14k base salary is ok for someone with not much professional experience. You will need to get housing allowance (check dubizzle first to see what a standard apartment to rent is in AUD), transportation allowance, 30 calendar days annual leave, annual return air ticket to your home city, private medical insurance (and I mean the likes of Alico, etc. not "private government insurance"). This is what MUST be included IN WRITING in your offer. Do NOT accept anything verbally, make sure they put everything down on paper as people here are known to back track on their words.

@NYDesignandtech: Tell us more about the Ducati :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
am not sure how to start..
I think i got screwed, i came here dreaming about a career and a good future although i have a college degree, but after spending 2 months here looking for a job i got stuck in this ****ty job which giving me nothing and it is not what i wanted to have in here but everyone advised to take it and then i'll look for another thing, but now i do not know how to get a job in a free-zone but i don't have time.
i think the whole Dubai thing is a big myth and it is about luck , its not about your experience and your field. it is about luck.
what i needed was to get a job in the media field and to be creative and work on marketing and so on. and what i got is a customer service in a ****ty office where i spend the day hours listening and solving problems.

i think you should stuck with the field you like and do not look at the salary cause at the end your happiness and satisfaction more important than money.

1 - 20 of 3763 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.