Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been offered a job in Melbourne, i have about 8 years of work exp...the company is currently getting the wheels rolling for VISA under SUBCLASS 457.

Could you letme know any limitations to this type of Visa? Any min no of yrs etc...

Also regarding the Salary, what do you reckon should be a figure which i should be looking at, as i imagine the employer needs to pay me as per the Australian Pay recommended by the state.

Does the employer provide any accomodation over and above the salary?

If anything else i need to keep in mind before accepting the offer....any advise would be welcome.

Thanks and CHeers.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Check Hays salary guide for salary scale and how much is your worth here.

Limitations: if made redundant, you have to search for an employer who is willing to sponsor you within 28 days, It is a 4 year visa that can be extended further or you can be sponsored on a PR visa, dont know the exact procedure, look up in the forum

Initial Accommodation: You have to negotiate, most employers give a week to 10 days accommodation and car or allowance to cover the cost of the same plus relocation allowance (including sending your stuff over and flight tickets

You have to keep in mind medical insurance cost since you wont be covered by medicare and other cost involved while being on temporary long stay visa (employer sponsored)

Reactions: syasa

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dubai_NewKid said:
Hi i have been offered a job in Melbourne, i have about 8 years of work exp...the company is currently getting the wheels rolling for VISA under SUBCLASS 457.

Could you letme know any limitations to this type of Visa? Any min no of yrs etc...

Also regarding the Salary, what do you reckon should be a figure which i should be looking at, as i imagine the employer needs to pay me as per the Australian Pay recommended by the state.

If anything else i need to keep in mind before accepting the offer....any advise would be welcome.

Thanks and CHeers.
On salary:

There is MSL set by DIAC for 457. I

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dubai_NewKid said:

Thanks and CHeers.
DIAC has set the minimum salary limit (MSL) $ 49k excluding super for 457. Employer shd pay u more than this based on ur experience and skills.

You can also enjoy LAFHA until June this year which may get u something extra on top of ur take home.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys for the quick replies, I am a marketing and Sales professional, working in a sports company.....
What is LAFHA? and why only until June?

Also what is the standard time that i am looking at for all the formalities to be completed etc from Visa point of view......since we have only started out with the process.

Since the Visa is Business Sponsored, is there any restriction on the travel or stay within Australia?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dubai_NewKid said:
Thanks Guys for the quick replies, I am a marketing and Sales professional, working in a sports company.....
What is LAFHA? and why only until June?

Also what is the standard time that i am looking at for all the formalities to be completed etc from Visa point of view......since we have only started out with the process.

Since the Visa is Business Sponsored, is there any restriction on the travel or stay within Australia?
LAFHA = excluding your rental and food expenses from tax. But there is a limit u can google it.

Since it is sponsored u can't work with more than one employer at the same time and if u loose ur job u need to get ur another job with 457 sponsorship within 28 days failing u need to go out of country.

Loosing job and getting another sponsor within 28 will be too risky as other employer may not want to take the pain and to be bind with migration laws. And they may exploit ur situation and offer less sal as well.

If u will be employed in a permanent position there. Won't be a big diff in sal between 457 / pr / citizen. However if ur contracting u will be paid lesser than pr/ citizens. This is based on my analysis mate.

U can stay here as long as the sponsorship is valid. Not ur visa validity time :-(

Best of luck mate!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK guys so heres the deal....

I have an offer for 75k pa....need to know is this good enough?

Also what would be the tax outgo on the total package?

Since Medicare is not included, how much for that as well......

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
630 Posts
OK guys so heres the deal....

I have an offer for 75k pa....need to know is this good enough?

Also what would be the tax outgo on the total package?

Since Medicare is not included, how much for that as well......

Thanks Guys!
Its an ok package if you are single (australia cost of living is insanely illogical), but if you have a family you may get by but basic life, since u don't get a lot of resident benefits, plus australia removed recently some benefits for 457 people. But if ur looking to get out from Dubai, this could be a good chance for you.

Tax u can calculate via this link: Tax Tools - Simple Tax Calculator

Taxes r brutal in australia.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So there is a a scale for x amount you will get charged on y dollars. After that it's $.37 cents to a dollar. I think you are below 80k, so it's going to be around 25%. However, take into account 9% mandatory superannuation they will take out of your $75k figure.

Your salary depends on where you stay too. If you are in Sydney or Melbourne a shared accommodation will be a must as u would avg $1800 a month on rental. Then factor in utilities, Internet, tv, foxtel, etc you are looking at expenses around $2700. Then your groceries etc, so I think you can do the math from here. And don't forget car/transportation etc.

Health insurance is $76 a month from aushealth.com.au, and it takes care of the visa formalities part , but that is $850 a yr out of your pocket for the entire time you are in Australia (eg 4 yrs).

If you are trying to get into the country, this is the best way to do it via employee sponsorship. But be ready to sacrifice some things that u may already be used to for mere fact of cost of living.

I hope I have not made you sad or thinking that it's not a bad move. Do your research, make sure you are getting fairly paid, and then make the decision. Your lifestyle here will outweigh a lot of things, and even though things are high here in terms of cost, I have no regrets.

Message me if you have any questions, I think I was in a similar position as yourself sometime back.

Ash1901

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I am currenlty negotiating an offer in Sydney. Me, wife and two kids of age 7 and 3.
I am an IT professional with 12 years experience in the banking domain, the package seems to be around 130 + super. Is it a decent money in the industry ? I tried to work with this, and looks just fine, as I compare my current living in Singapore.

Please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess it is sufficient

Hello,

I am currenlty negotiating an offer in Sydney. Me, wife and two kids of age 7 and 3.
I am an IT professional with 12 years experience in the banking domain, the package seems to be around 130 + super. Is it a decent money in the industry ? I tried to work with this, and looks just fine, as I compare my current living in Singapore.

Please help.

Thanks
Hi Siju.

As per my knowledge from this forum and internet research it is sufficient, u can move with out of much doubt. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Siju.

As per my knowledge from this forum and internet research it is sufficient, u can move with out of much doubt. :)
Thanks Raj.

I am now well placed in Singapore, and my saving potential is better than this offer now in Songapore. I am looking for the different living conditions in Australia. My understanding is with this money I can have a very normal life there with limited spending.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks Raj.

I am now well placed in Singapore, and my saving potential is better than this offer now in Songapore. I am looking for the different living conditions in Australia. My understanding is with this money I can have a very normal life there with limited spending.
You won't be a king :roll eyes: but its pretty decent salary , you & ur family can live good life with decent house + car, schooling, + some luxuries etc. But don't expect to shop at tiffany's & Co every weekend for the wife :D If ur already v settled & well paid with good future prospects in Singapore maybe think twice, otherwise you should go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You won't be a king :roll eyes: but its pretty decent salary , you & ur family can live good life with decent house + car, schooling, + some luxuries etc. But don't expect to shop at tiffany's & Co every weekend for the wife :D If ur already v settled & well paid with good future prospects in Singapore maybe think twice, otherwise you should go for it.
Cool :)

I am good here with my career and life, but want to experience the life in Australia. I was expecting a better package for my profile. Looks good enough for the decent living. I will leave my Singapore home for renting and in case if I need to come back.

Thanks JBY.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey thanks for all the help!
I am negotiating with the company, they are offering me health insurance as well as personal tax advisor on company,s exp.
Also a car will be provided to me icl fuel.....sine my work would be in moorabin, which would be a good place to live? Also can I negotiate more with the company..as they are giving me annual travel tickets from australia, relocation expenses, accommodation for a month when I get to Melbourne......
The job is really exciting and something of particular interest to me. Don't wanna squeeze them, just because you can never get enough!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Ash,
Man can you tell me if i can have a good engh lifestyle, decent savings, with the whole package on offer......i am thinking of negoiating with them for a bonus as well as the super annutation should be + my basic not deducting from my basic.
Ur thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Ash,
Man can you tell me if i can have a good engh lifestyle, decent savings, with the whole package on offer......i am thinking of negoiating with them for a bonus as well as the super annutation should be + my basic not deducting from my basic.
Ur thoughts?
Well I think that they definitely sweetened the deal with the perks they included. The car expense is big, and fuel is expensive their and they will pick that up for you, so that's nice.

If you get shared accommodation, then you are in a good spot, I am not sure what your personal situation is like. if you have to get your own place, then the 75K- 9% is really not much. I think more then a bonus is your salary (but that depends if you are planning on staying in Aus for a while). If you get say a 10K bonus, that's one time, if you can incorporate that into salary, you are getting that every year.

Also, if you are getting a slight hint that they will give you what you want, then ask for it. The worst is that they can say no. They have invested so much time into you that they would just say no if they didn't want to hear anymore from you.

Let me know how it turns out. All the best!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Ash,
Ur thoughts?
Have you actually asked if the 75k includes super. Super is paid by the employer not the employee.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.