Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting an offer to relocate to Barcelona. Is 120,000 EUR per year (pre tax) enough for a family of 4? We are relocating from the US. What is that NET out of that salary?

Anyone know any of the semi private schools? I want my kids emerged in the local culture.

My potential employer is around Sagrada Familia. What neighborhoods are recommended for expats with kids around the area? Either driving or public transport? I don't want to commute for more than 20 minutes.

I've been to Barcelona, just have a hard time finding relative info online. Either I find information from high paid executives that suggest areas with rent that seems extravagant, or from part timers living in a closet with friends and those accommodations may not work for a family of four.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like more than enough unless you have a very luxurious lifestyle!
It's a salary most Spaniards can only dream of
Thanks for the reply

Define luxurious. We don't eat out every day? I buy regular clothes, but not ****ty brands. Do you know the net on that salary?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think that if a Company is offering a foreigner a job on that salary scale they will be handling the relocation.
Yes, relocation is included, I am trying to get relevant info on NET salary, areas to live in, schools from regular people, hence relying on forums.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of families are living here with 1000 euros for month, imagine what you can do with 10 times this quantity.
There are people living with 1000USD per month in the US too. I'm trying to get relevant information from regular people, hence relying on forums.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
There are people living with 1000USD per month in the US too. I'm trying to get relevant information from regular people, hence relying on forums.

Good luck with your move, I am sure you will manage O.K. sorry cannot help, I am 1500 miles to the south west of Barcelona, way out in the Atlantic

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Yes, relocation is included, I am trying to get relevant info on NET salary, areas to live in, schools from regular people, hence relying on forums.
If I were in your situation I would ask the company making the offer directly. After all, all they have to do to find the answer is to feed your data to the HR dept, and it seems reasonable that you should want to know your nett earnings as well as the gross. Far more reliable than asking on forums.
I have no idea because I'm self employed and I don't earn as much either, so I don't know what tax bracket you'd be in or anything about local tax issues

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can cope with the Spanish, you could use an online calculator like this one (for 2014, from next year the tax rates will be lower) to find out how much tax you'd pay. Then there will be social security contributions too.

Thanks for the link. It was usefully to ballpark. Now if only people could actually take the time to list some prices of regular staples :) We don't spend over $1000USD on food in the US currently..and we buy organic from Whorefoods (Wholefoods) We don't splurge or waste, generally speaking and compared to a regular American consumer. I hear some colleagues having even $2000 grocery spending. That just baffles me

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you can cope with the Spanish, you could use an online calculator like this one (for 2014, from next year the tax rates will be lower) to find out how much tax you'd pay. Then there will be social security contributions too.

Thanks for the link. It was usefully to ballpark. Now if only people could actually take the time to list some prices of regular staples :) We don't spend over $1000USD on food in the US currently..and we buy organic from Whorefoods (Wholefoods) We don't splurge or waste, generally speaking and compared to a regular American consumer. I hear some colleagues having even $2000 grocery spending. That just baffles me

Cost of Living Comparison Between Two Countries

Use that website to compare costs between countries and cities. It's pretty good.

I'm sorry I can't give you details on net income, but I know that in Malaga City, with a population of 600,000 people, only 3000 earn above 90K. I reckon with your income you'd be in the top 1% in Barcelona.

Hell, I could probably do OK with that wage if I watched what I spent (joking, obviously).

I can't compare it to the US, but versus the UK, Spain feels really cheap.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts

I'm just wondering what experience or knowledge you have of Spain, and what the company you're possibly going to work for includes in its relocation package. Have they given you any information at all because prices, cost of living, school fees, goods available... all of that I would expect the employer to give me a heads up on that.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts

Again, you could use an online comparison site for prices from Spanish supermarkets (they tend to have the same prices across Spain, whereas prices in independent shops and markets would be higher in some areas of the country than in others). Here's one:-

Compara precios de Supermercados

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Use that website to compare costs between countries and cities. It's pretty good.

I'm sorry I can't give you details on net income, but I know that in Malaga City, with a population of 600,000 people, only 3000 earn above 90K. I reckon with your income you'd be in the top 1% in Barcelona.

Hell, I could probably do OK with that wage if I watched what I spent (joking, obviously).

I can't compare it to the US, but versus the UK, Spain feels really cheap.
Thanks. I used numbeo before, but to me it seems they are still collecting data and it is not highly accurate. I ended up going to grocery store websites in Spain to compare prices to our current grocery prices.

Top 1%? I need to verify:) I thought the 1% is associated with people making millions per year. ...you mean to tell me in one of the largest metropolis cities in the world, only 1% earn over 100k EUR per year? Baffles me.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
All seems a big yawn to me

If the poster lives quite modestly as he claims- why would they even need to question if such a large sum of €120k is sufficient??

I never believe all I read....
Do you know what they'd have to pay to rent a property in a good area of a large US city, or how much they'd need to pay in health insurance premiums and co-payments for a family of 4, even if they had coverage in an employer's scheme? Maybe a salary of €120K would not seem so much, look at the insane amounts some people get paid in London (and the insane house prices to match).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, you could use an online comparison site for prices from Spanish supermarkets (they tend to have the same prices across Spain, whereas prices in independent shops and markets would be higher in some areas of the country than in others). Here's one:-

Thank you. I was going to separate stores websites (Cortes Ingles, Carrefour, etc).

In comparison to US, processed food in EU is relatively better made? Like EE (ingredients)..in US..processed food is full of crap, you'd be surprised.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts