Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last minute invitation to join a group for Saffron brunch at the Atlantis this weekend. Last weekend before Ramadan FYI.

Never been to Saffron but have heard stories. People seem to either love it or hate it with a passion. Is it worth it? What should one really expect? Food decent enough and worth the 500 AED? I stay away from fruity cocktails and jaggers and mostly stick to beer/wines.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
18-30 in what feels like a airport terminal or factory canteen. The food's decent but nothing outstanding, loads of choice. All drinks are branded and help yourself stations are everywhere.

You're not allowed to go anywhere else in the hotel after, they either bus you around the nightclub that opens for a few hours or herd you off the premises in taxis.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
One of the worst I've been to. It gets really rowdy and noisy and if you end up tabled near the DJ - forget being able to have any kind of conversation with the person sat next to you - I have no idea why venues feel the need to blast music out, when people just want to talk. The last one before Ramadan I would expect to be particularly messy.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In short, very very very drunk people and average food but plenty of alcohol.

Hmm. The question then becomes is 500 AED + taxi fare worth the spectacle?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
In short, very very very drunk people and average food but plenty of alcohol.

Hmm. The question then becomes is 500 AED + taxi fare worth the spectacle?
Well what's worse, is if you're a non-drinker, they'll still charge you 500dhs!!! The food ain't THAT good.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've never actually seen it, but I imagine Saffron is like an episode of The Only Way is Essex. Plenty of drunk young ones whose alcohol tolerance is a lot lower than they think.

As per every other brunch in Dubai, plenty of food choice of a good quality. Saffron is only 'better' than the rest if you like weird drinks from coconuts, pineapples, melons or as a slushi type vodka concoction. If sticking to the beer I'd go somewhere quieter.

Its not all bad, can be an entertaining afternoon if you want it to be.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
As mentioned earlier it doesn't really have a "Wow I'm at a 500dhs Brunch feel" it's a bit more like a school dinner hall with better food, plenty of drinks though.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
I believe it is obligatory to arrive at this brunch in a white 1984 Ford XR3i, wearing white socks, a perm, gold medallion showing through unbuttoned shirt (hairy chest optional) and answer to the name "Kev".
Otherwise you can't get in.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It's ok I guess, it's one of those ones that I think everyone goes to the moment they land or those visiting family. It defo has 18-30 vibe in a Liquid Nightclub.

Could be worse, could be going to Girders :lol:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Said no thanks.

As much as the promise of an entertaining spectacle was, that it's not known for food is what killed it for me. If it was top notch food as at Yalumba I'd probably have gone. But 500 aed just to watch people be silly, sorry, thanks, no.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi,
I believe it is obligatory to arrive at this brunch in a white 1984 Ford XR3i, wearing white socks, a perm, gold medallion showing through unbuttoned shirt (hairy chest optional) and answer to the name "Kev".
Otherwise you can't get in.
Cheers
Steve
I'd pay AED 500 to arrive in an XR3i.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
At one end of the scale, definitely not Girders. Never experienced so many fights in one place in one night, not even in the UK!! Post brunch of course! At the other end of the scale, definitely not Geales at Royal Meridien. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For serious money, Traiteur is very nice. Most expensive brunch in Dubai at 700+ AED/head if you get the premium champagne package and around 650 without the champagne. Food is top notch. Relaxed, quiet and grown up setting.

Gaucho does an a la carte brunch. Excellent food as you would expect. Grown up atmosphere.

Toko in Downton does a very good Japanese brunch. 450 AED.

I still have a soft spot for Yalumba. It was the original party brunch in Dubai and I haven't been there in about 18 months but word is that the worst behaved of the children have now moved on to Bubblicious and Saffron, leaving Yalumba for a slightly more restrained crowd but with still a great vibe, as the brunch continues into happy hour till 7:30ish. The food was always terrific.

For cheap and cheerful, McGettigans in JLT is perfectly fine. 200 AED for the buffet and all you can drink, plus another 150 AED for the happy hour afterwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts