Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found out, a few hours ago, a friends 18 year old son jumped to his death from a bridge this morning, not far from here.

I`ve spent the last few hours attempting to reconcile why someone so young could see nothing in life worth living for. He was an extremely intelligent guy and well loved in our circle. A thoroughly lovely kid, handsome, articulate, funny and just an all round great lad. He was only a little older than my eldest son, which is weighing heavily upon me.

I don`t know why I`m writing this or what I`m trying to achieve, but I feel immense sadness at a life so dramatically ended, pretty much before it had really begun.

So, please take a few seconds out of your day, and what a lovely day it is too, and spare a wee thought for him.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What a sad story. Poor kid, if only he would have told someone how desperate he felt maybe such a terrible tragedy might have been avoided.
Kind words spoken by you there Yossa, I'm sure his family and friends would appreciate what you said and how you feel.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's terrible when people do this, especially when there's no explanation why, and as you say they are often seemingly happy, loving people with everything to live for. It can leave family and friends angry and confused for a long time - and yes, you start saying 'if only they had told someone'.

They didn't talk about it because they didn't want to, for the same reason that they hid their unhappiness and distress. It's no-one's fault for not noticing, and the reasons for it may never be completely clear.

I'm so sorry for your and everyone else's loss.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Really sorry to hear that Yossa, and sincere condolences to his loved ones and all those who knew the young lad. it is very hard to take in news like that for those who knew him, you always wonder why?
It helps to talk to people, and for those who know the family to offer help whether practical, or just a good listening ear if needed, they must be devastated.
Remember the young lad for all his great attributes handsome, clever, funny, articulate, loving and a great person, no body knows what went on in his mind to cause him to do this, so don't try to beat yourself up trying to think of reasons.
When especially somebody dies, suddenly, violently, or by accident it is a great shock for everyone concerned, and it does 'play on your mind' just thinking about the person who died and their close family, for a while, causing lack of sleep etc due to the sadness.
We lost a great friend in February, she fell down a ravine, a life taken too soon, believe me, when I heard I had trouble sleeping, just thinking about what a lovely person we had lost and about her lovely family who were devastated. We remember our friend for the lovely genuine and caring person she always was, and will never forget her, she is still alive in our hearts, as is her family.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
What a very sad story. I can't begin to imagine what his family must be going through. Puts our pathetic whingeings in perspective doesn't it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts