Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in South Africa and am 47, and I want to get work and move to the Northern Island.
I do not have a degree, I do have a diploma and plus 10yrs experience.
I have planned to visit NZ in Oct and Nov to look for work.
From your experience, is it better and faster to get an agent to help you with employment and visas
Or can I do it myself?
My profession is not on the short skills list
I know the agent costs more, but I am considering that I will find employment faster.
Thank you for your advice, Janine

·
Super Moderator
4,906 Posts
An agent won't make the process any faster or easier. You still have to do a lot of the work yourself. They do help at times when your situation may not be straightforward otherwise there's no reason why you can't do it yourself.
Whether they will work for you to find a job is difficult to say. All depends if the have clients that are looking for people with your skills.

One concern I would have is you say your occupation or skill is not on the skill shortage list here. That makes your process a whole lot more difficult as an employer would have to justify to immigration the reasons why they would hire you over anybody else already in NZ and able to work.
Not an impossible task but it's not gonna be easy.

Immigration agents/consultants earn a huge amount of money by the charges they make to people like you. Just tread carefully. Once you have a written job offer the application is fairly straightforward and you can always ask on the forum if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your advice. I have received interest from Accredited Employers, but they want to meet me in NZ.
The Job Search Visa is only applicable to age 35, so do I then visit on a normal visitors visa?
Do you have any knowledge of the Progress to work Visa?
Thanks again, and have a great week, My son just received is Work Visa for Christchurch, so lots of excitement here :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts