Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

S1 Forms no longer available after 31st March 2014

7K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  spacebunny 
#1 ·
Having read this in another forum, and being in the middle of sorting our Dates I thought I would telephone the overseas health bods in the UK

They have confirmed to me that when we move in Feb we will be both covered by the S1 reciprocal agreement until January 2016 .

We have to apply 4/5 weeks prior to moving no sooner, and must have a Spanish Address to put on the form - A permanent address can be added later.

AFTER March 31st the UK government will no longer be issuing these certificates and private health cover will have to be sought until retirement, when the agreement will once again cover.

The chap said our timing was perfect as a few months later and no cover, Addresses etc can still be changed on existing certificates, even when UK no longer issuing

#2 ·
check this out..

Just heard that S1 cover is to be withdrawn in April next year and have received the following link which seems to substantiate that.

Page 48.

Anyone got any more information?
This is the correct one https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...use-of-the-nhs

The consultation responses are still being reviewed, but i wouldn't hold your breath that the proposal will change. Just to be clear, it only affects S1 forms that are issued when people leave the UK, based on the National Insurance contributions. It normally entitles you to health cover in the EU country you move to, for upto 2 years. It does NOT affect S1 forms issued to pensioners or other claimants.

#10 ·
The DoH chap said it is being withdrawn for all EU countries, as Peskey says on the web site it says it is a "proposal" and they are " reviewing the public's
response" in reality they are stopping it..so much for asking the question and reviewing the response. I am just glad we have timed this ok, otherwise it would have been PH from the begnining

#11 ·
If anyone wants to read the consultation documents, they're available on this web page Citizen Space - Sustaining services, ensuring fairness: A consultation on migrant access and their financial contribution to NHS provision in England (I've checked the link - it should work)

The consultation is closed - it ran from 3rd July 2013 to 28th August 2013.

One noteworthy paragraph on page 46 of the consultation document reads:
"Summary
Under EU rules Member States reimburse each other directly for the costs of healthcare provided to their respective citizens under particular circumstances. The UK pays out considerably more than it receives because many more of our citizens visit other EEA countries and many more UK state pensioners reside in other EEA countries than happens in reverse. But we can do more to reduce our net payments.
We therefore propose to:
Improve the recording of NHS treatment provided to EEA citizens via their European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) or pensioner registration (S1) forms, as part of the NHS system improvement;
Cease reimbursement of co-payments, and the funding of initial healthcare costs for early retirees. These payments to our citizens exceed our obligations under EU law;
Reduce our payments to other Member States for the healthcare costs of our state pensioners to reflect their having retained entitlement to NHS treatment on returning home."

#12 ·
I love the way they keep using the word fairness when what they are actually doing is cutting expenditure. Typical Coalition newspeak.

I can see that there is pressure to cut back on free services for foreign nationals visitng the UK, but how is it fair to people like Cambio and me who paid their NI contributions for many years and just want to retire a few years early?

#15 ·
" we can all go back to the UK for our healthcare after that date too"

That is in addition t entitlement to Spanish healthcare , apparently.

" Expatriate UK citizens who move to reside abroad currently lose their entitlement to free NHS treatment. They regain this if they return to live in the UK permanently but usually not when returning to visit. In line with the principle that everybody makes a fair contribution, we propose to confirm the entitlement of any person who has previously paid at least seven years of National Insurance contributions. "

No: 12 here;

http://consultations.dh.gov.uk/over...s ensuring fairness consultation document.pdf

So you'll be entitled when visiting t free healthcare as long as you have the requisite 7 years . NI contributions.

#16 ·
" we can all go back to the UK for our healthcare after that date too"

That is in addition t entitlement to Spanish healthcare , apparently.

" Expatriate UK citizens who move to reside abroad currently lose their entitlement to free NHS treatment. They regain this if they return to live in the UK permanently but usually not when returning to visit. In line with the principle that everybody makes a fair contribution, we propose to confirm the entitlement of any person who has previously paid at least seven years of National Insurance contributions. "

No: 12 here;

http://consultations.dh.gov.uk/over...s ensuring fairness consultation document.pdf

So you'll be entitled when visiting t free healthcare as long as you have the requisite 7 years . NI contributions.
that's me OK then :D

just need to save for the flights

I suppose now at least people will be able to go back for their hip ops with a clear conscience...............................

Reactions: Alcalaina
#21 ·
hi, very interesting !!!

I have read, read and read these posts and am a little unclear ( nothing new then). My wife and I are coming to Spain in Feb 2014, we are 55 & 57 years young, can we apply for S1 forms or do you have to be retirement age. Sorry if this has been answered/covered previously
many thanks

Spacebunny ( Gary)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.