Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I would like to know how useful language is russian in France, for someone who is intending to work on the tourism/business or food sector?

Thanks =D

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
If you can find a "Russian connection" in the form of a tour operator or business owned by Russians in France, I'd imagine it could be quite useful. But I haven't seen many job postings that ask for the Russian language. In most cases, you'd still need reasonably good French.
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
While I was living in the Savoie, I noticed a significant increase in the numbers of Russian snow sports tourists, particularly at the high end of the market. By way of example, there's a purpose-built luxury village at Les Arcs, where the 5* accommodation often had as many Russians as other nationalities. Miniature dogs wandering around, clad in real fur coats and booties, matching their owners' ski wear... that sort of thing. So anyone with experience in the tourism business and who has fluent French, English and Russian would stand a good chance of finding employment with the likes of Radisson, I would have thought.

On the other hand, I've been away from Les Arcs for three years, since just before the financial crisis took hold, so I don't know how this affected Russian tourism in France (although the luxury end of the market probably didn't suffer too much).

G

·
so I don't know how this affected Russian tourism in France (although the luxury end of the market probably didn't suffer too much).
I deal with Russians who come in to do the ski thing. Their ski kit is usually top-quality gear, new or newish, and they're not going on to the cheap accomodation either. So, those who come are obviously the better end - but again, numbers are way down this year according to my colleagues.

May I suggest that your first stop is a web trawl of ski tour operators and see if they do summer tours as well.

But, as Bev says, you WILL need to speak good french.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.