Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bit of a strange one this but are there any hills in Dubai!?
Every picture I've seen looks decidedly flat.

I am a runner and I NEED hills in my life.

Just a couple will do :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Dubai is flat, flat, flat. About the biggest hill is going over one of the highway overpasses. It is rough if one likes hills in their life. The closes hills are in the areas Mr Rossi mentions and they are all a bit of a haul, certainly not something you do after work, weekends only. I am from CO, so I understand, it has been a difficult transition for me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you're input guys :) I'm coming over next week with my girlfriend to check Dubai out.
How do you find life there? I'm really excited right now :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RN!!
true say!!
I've already thought of the sand dunes.
All over it bro :)
Do you live in dubai?

·
Registered
193 Posts
RN!!
true say!!
I've already thought of the sand dunes.
All over it bro :)
Do you live in dubai?
Am not a dude, am a dudette :cool:

You'll have access to a variety of natural landscapes in UAE and Oman for different sorts of activities, no rolling hills (far down south in Oman, perhaps) but there are mountains (highest goes up close to 3000m above sea level), sand dunes, wadis, beaches, the deep sea.

If you'd like to check out the sand dunes, I feel the convenient ones in Dubai are either along Emirates road 66 or Emirates road 44. Have you done any background reading as well?

Adventure HQ
OutdoorUAE | outdooruae.com - Online portal for all outdoor activities in UAE
Dubai | Live Work Explore

p.s. - You'll slowly get used to the Arabic names people use such as Jebel (mountain) and wadi (riverbed). I'm sure others will tell you more.

So Al Ain = an emirate / state / province while Jebel Hafeet or Hafit (not sure what the right pronounciation is in Arabic!) is a mountain (this mountain range is pretty short compared to some others, kind of reminds me of Ayres Rock actually when approaching it in a car from a distance)

·
Registered
380 Posts
The closest I have gotten to hill is take the stairs all the time in my apartment block.

I miss the hill I bag Munros when I'm home but none here

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every picture I've seen looks decidedly flat.
Well yes it is. HOWEVER if you really want a workout try running up a sand dune.

Also every Wednesday at the autodrome they allow runners and bikes and ban cars, it's mildly undulating.

As others have said you can also go in the Hatta mountains.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
And you will be amazed at how many different ways you can spell the same thing and none of them are totally wrong haha

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We will have to wait and see if someone on here knows the answer to that. Good example of different spellings - Al Quoz, Qouz, Quoze, Umm Sequeim, Seqeim, Fujairah, Fujeirah - the list is endless. And these can be found on sign posts, official/municipality buildings, etc. I guess it's down to the person translating it and how they spell the translation

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CRIKEY! this sounds a little confusing?
Same place different spelling. Each spelling correct anyway? Hells bells :)

What is autodrome? I'm intrigued :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
CRIKEY! this sounds a little confusing?
Same place different spelling. Each spelling correct anyway? Hells bells :)
If they sounds very alike, there's a high chance it's the same place bring referred to.

What is autodrome? I'm intrigued :)
Read up, read up. You'll find it somewhere in those websites and you'll be able plan what you'd like to see when you're over. Good luck & have fun.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Can you get up Jebel Ali? That's closest but it's got a big radar-y dish thing at the top so access may be restricted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys
Thanks for all you're input.
So I did my 5 day tour and got the job! It's in JLT :)

Now need accommodation

Firstly temp for one month.

Any advice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.