Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a question I think has a very clear answer, but I'm hoping someone can help me out...

An American friend of mine runs a small tour business in France, and she's asked me to help conduct a few tours for her, while I'm on vacation in France for a couple months this summer. She says her business is U.S.-based and that I'd be paid in U.S. dollars, but I think when a company's operations are really in France, there are much deeper formalities involved in determining whether it's legally operating in France as a U.S. entity. And I think an American receiving any compensation from any business of any kind in France is considered working in France and in violation of a tourist visa. Am I correct?

I told her that, for the above reasons, I don't think it's something I can do. But I wanted to float it by the experts here and see if I'm just interpreting things too conservatively. Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,351 Posts
On a 90 day Schengen (tourist) visa you aren't supposed to work. Period.

Practically speaking, it's unlikely you'd be "caught" and, because you aren't legally resident in France, you wouldn't be able to claim the FEIE or anything like that. (Practically speaking, you'd still be obligated to report the income on your US tax returns - and there's stuff like US social security and all to consider.)

Basically, it's all on your shoulders if you want to attempt it, and how you report it if you do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a 90 day Schengen (tourist) visa you aren't supposed to work. Period.

Practically speaking, it's unlikely you'd be "caught" and, because you aren't legally resident in France, you wouldn't be able to claim the FEIE or anything like that. (Practically speaking, you'd still be obligated to report the income on your US tax returns - and there's stuff like US social security and all to consider.)

Basically, it's all on your shoulders if you want to attempt it, and how you report it if you do.
Cheers,
Bev

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.