Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently inquired with DIAC regarding the grant of RRV on the expiry of my PR which is in middle of next yr. I plan to permanently settle down in Aus in Jan 2014 about six months prior to actual expiry.

The reply which I received from the DIAC officer whom I spoke to was that "as long as you are in Australia and do not need to travel outside, you do not need a RRV". He was not clear if I could officially work on an expired PR (without being in anyway discriminated) and would be able to get social facilities such as those related to health and education for my family.

Would be great if someone who knows about the rules or has been through a similar situation shares their understanding/experience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Once you are in Australia, you do not need to worry about the expiary date of your PR. Only if you want to go out of Australia you need to apply for RRV (In case your PR has expired).

RRV has its own criteria which you can check from DIAC website.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

However, I am trying to find out how does an expired PR impacts job, health and other social facilities.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I have recently inquired with DIAC regarding the grant of RRV on the expiry of my PR which is in middle of next yr. I plan to permanently settle down in Aus in Jan 2014 about six months prior to actual expiry.

The reply which I received from the DIAC officer whom I spoke to was that "as long as you are in Australia and do not need to travel outside, you do not need a RRV". He was not clear if I could officially work on an expired PR (without being in anyway discriminated) and would be able to get social facilities such as those related to health and education for my family.

Would be great if someone who knows about the rules or has been through a similar situation shares their understanding/experience.
Ur PR never expires. The travel facility on your PR expires. So as long as you are in Au, you are s permanent resident. But you go out of Au,then to re enter AU ,you need RRV. If you dont go out, you are permanent resident forever. You hve all the rights of a PR holder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts