Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we move to oz in july 2011 and our PR is valid upto jan2012, will we be given an rrv if we want to travel out of oz in july 2012??

any guidance in this issue is welcome..

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, you would still be eligible for a 3 month RRV. It's the 5 yr RRV for which you must be resident in AU for 2 yrs out of the last 5 of your PR.

If we move to oz in july 2011 and our PR is valid upto jan2012, will we be given an rrv if we want to travel out of oz in july 2012??

any guidance in this issue is welcome..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, you would still be eligible for a 3 month RRV. It's the 5 yr RRV for which you must be resident in AU for 2 yrs out of the last 5 of your PR.
I have a general question on RRV. Does a fresh PR needs to get RRV stamped when he is returning from first validation trip. My assumption is you can make multiple trips to Aus without RRV within first 5 yrs of PR grant. Is it true?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi MP:

The RRV is not an actual sticker or something to be stamped. You only get the one sticker which is for PR. You also get a RRV condition in that same PR for 5 yrs, so you make any number of exits and entries from AU in that time period. What the meaning of RRV is that when you enter AU you are a returning resident and continue your existing PR.

Your first validation trip validates both your PR and your first 5 yr RRV.

What happens once the inital 5 yrs is up.

1. If you are in AU you continue as a PR
2. If you are outside of AU you must have applied for and gotten a new RRV for your passport (this will be a new sticker).
a. If you spent less than 2 yrs in AU in the last 5 then you can apply for and get a 3 month RRV.
b. If you spend greater than 2 yrs in AU in the last 5 then you can apply for and get a new 5 yr RRV.

Hope that clears things up.

Of course many people just get AU Citizenship after 4 yrs net residence in AU (apply for Citizenship) and therefore never have to care about AU visas ever again (as you are no longer a migrant, but a national of AU).

I have a general question on RRV. Does a fresh PR needs to get RRV stamped when he is returning from first validation trip. My assumption is you can make multiple trips to Aus without RRV within first 5 yrs of PR grant. Is it true?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi MP:

The RRV is not an actual sticker or something to be stamped. You only get the one sticker which is for PR. You also get a RRV condition in that same PR for 5 yrs, so you make any number of exits and entries from AU in that time period. What the meaning of RRV is that when you enter AU you are a returning resident and continue your existing PR.

Your first validation trip validates both your PR and your first 5 yr RRV.

What happens once the inital 5 yrs is up.

1. If you are in AU you continue as a PR
2. If you are outside of AU you must have applied for and gotten a new RRV for your passport (this will be a new sticker).
a. If you spent less than 2 yrs in AU in the last 5 then you can apply for and get a 3 month RRV.
b. If you spend greater than 2 yrs in AU in the last 5 then you can apply for and get a new 5 yr RRV.

Hope that clears things up.

Of course many people just get AU Citizenship after 4 yrs net residence in AU (apply for Citizenship) and therefore never have to care about AU visas ever again (as you are no longer a migrant, but a national of AU).
Thanks for the detailed info amaslam. Want to clarify more on #1.
Suppose during my first 5 yrs of PR, say I stayed 2 yrs outside AU and next 3 yrs inside AU continuously. So when I entered the sixth year (say after 5 yrs and 2 months of my PR grant/validation) I plan to visit outside AU just for 1 month. Then do I need to renew my RRV so that I can enter again?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi MP:

Yes, that's right, Before your exit from AU in year 5 you need to get an RRV (you would be able to get a new 5 yr RRV based on your time spent in AU). Then it works just like before, enter and exit as you like but keep maintaining the "2 yrs in the last 5' so you can get your next 5 yr RRV.

Many go for AU citizenship instead because then you get an AU passport and nationality. However this is not possible for people whose previous country does not allow dual citizenship as they'd need to give up their previous citizenship.

This is the route I took instead of going for a 5 yr RRV. This means I may be in or out for Australia for any period of time and can always return to AU without restriction.
As my previous country does allow dual citizenship (it's nationality law allows it) I have more than one at this time.

Thanks for the detailed info amaslam. Want to clarify more on #1.
Suppose during my first 5 yrs of PR, say I stayed 2 yrs outside AU and next 3 yrs inside AU continuously. So when I entered the sixth year (say after 5 yrs and 2 months of my PR grant/validation) I plan to visit outside AU just for 1 month. Then do I need to renew my RRV so that I can enter again?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts