Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone

I think I have been given some very rotten advice by my RRSP rep. I am going to declare myself nontax resident in Canada because I am now living in Spain and he told me to cash in my RRSP and pay the taxes.

What do people usually do? Keep it and turn it to a RRIf later and get payments when you retire or cash out before you declare yourself non resident? I know I would have to pay 25% withholding tax if I cashed it out. What happens if I keep it? Do they deduct a withholding tax on the dividend/interest. Currently my dividends/interest are reinvested in the RRSP.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
HI Everyone

I think I have been given some very rotten advice by my RRSP rep. I am going to declare myself nontax resident in Canada because I am now living in Spain and he told me to cash in my RRSP and pay the taxes.

What do people usually do? Keep it and turn it to a RRIf later and get payments when you retire or cash out before you declare yourself non resident? I know I would have to pay 25% withholding tax if I cashed it out. What happens if I keep it? Do they deduct a withholding tax on the dividend/interest. Currently my dividends/interest are reinvested in the RRSP.
We left ours untouched when we became non-resident. We figured we'd deal with it later, plus there was a good chance we'd return to Canada. I don't think anything was ever deducted from them during the years we were away.

I would get some additional advice here. I certainly don't think there's a rush to do it before you declare yourself non-resident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI Everyone

You can leave the RRSP as it is and your reinvested dividends and interest will continue to accumulate tax free in Canada.

However:
1. You will need to investigate the tax treaty with Spain to find out whether Spain is going to tax the dividends/interest accumulating in the year earned... in other words, does Spain recognize RRSPs?
2. If you are still a non-resident of Canada when you retire and start withdrawing that money, there is a default withholding of 25% tax anyway (unless the tax treaty with Spain says otherwise). So pay 25% now or 25% later on the whole accumulated amount.

I think whether it's a good idea to cash out the RRSP depends on the tax treatment in Spain, really. But I'm not an expert!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts