Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have done Diploma in Mech Engg and having 7.5 years of IT exp, i am planning to apply for ACS through RPL. Can anybody please let me know if i can get positive assessment.

My Diploma in Engg is NON ICT and as per "Summary Of Criteria" Document of ACS it specify as NON ICT Diploma and Qualification not closely related to ANZSCO required work exp is 6 yrs. I am planning to apply under 261312-Developer Programmer.

Kindly let me know if i can go ahead and apply for ACS using RPL and hope for positive assessment?

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
There is a catch, your Diploma will be considered Closely or NOT Closely related AFTER it is determined that whether it has enough ICT content to be assessable at the first place... I don't think Mechanical Engineering Diploma has enough ICT content...

But as it is a tertiary qualification, you'll be required to demonstrate 6 years of work for application thought RPL. You should be able to get positive assessment based on that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dude, but my agent said i need to wait till i have 8 years of exp. so i am now in fix if should i go ahead or not. kindly assist.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Thanks Dude, but my agent said i need to wait till i have 8 years of exp. so i am now in fix if should i go ahead or not. kindly assist.
From the ACS detailed guideline:

7. RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL) - APPLICATION
If you do not have an ICT-related qualification, you may apply for a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
You will need to have at least 6 years of full time professional ICT work experience if you hold a non ICT qualification and at least 8 years if you do not hold any tertiary qualifications.
So the best is to email ACS whether Diploma in Mech. Engr. falls within acceptable tertiary level qualification or not. AFAIK, a diploma does considered a tertiary qualification.

You can even call them as well, because as you may know, time is in short supply for IT Applicants.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

I just found out in Wikipedia under AQF Diploma does get considered as Tertiary Qualification. So i think i can safety go ahead and put my papers using RPL application to ACS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey,

I just found out in Wikipedia under AQF Diploma does get considered as Tertiary Qualification. So i think i can safety go ahead and put my papers using RPL application to ACS.
My friend holds DOEACC B level course, he applied for ACS and the response was positive. They considered it with Master degrees available in Australia.

This information might just help you to compare your degree and the course above and you might be able to deduce what you need!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is RPL needed with 11years IT experience? while education was commerce side(non IT)

Hi. I am in IT infrastructure since 11 years now. About to file for ACS. Someone suggested I have to prepare an RPL report. How far is that true and is that the only way for me, as I have a commerce background (Non IT qualification). Ddo any one has a clue as I found on net some authorised RPL support link, that assist for RPL preparation. Please suggest guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar question,

I completed my Diploma (ICT) followed by a Higher Diploma (Information System Design) in 2006 from NIBM (National Institute of Business Management, Sri Lanka)

I have been working in IT from 2007 to to-date and have just 3 more months to complete 20 years.

Questions:
(1) Would it be possible to let me know if the Diploma+Higher Diploma will be assessed as having ICT major and will I be eligible for 10 points?

(2) If I submit Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). I understand ACS will deduct 6 years work experience to compensate for tertiary education. In addition will another 6 years be deducted as relevant work experience (i.e 6+6 = 12 yrs work experience gets deducted for gaining required qualification) leaving the balance (7+) years as work experience?

(3) Is there a project start date that must be satisfied when completing the RPL (i.e does the project start date have a relation to when ACS will start calculating experience)?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi. I am in IT infrastructure since 11 years now. About to file for ACS. Someone suggested I have to prepare an RPL report. How far is that true and is that the only way for me, as I have a commerce background (Non IT qualification). Ddo any one has a clue as I found on net some authorised RPL support link, that assist for RPL preparation. Please suggest guys.
Do you have CCIE / MCSE certifications?
If yes no need. else you will have to prepare RPL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Monaavy, I am so thankful for your reply. I have given 3 exams already and after another 2 will get mcse as completed. Is this relevant which year you have given the exam? I am working since 2005. Would it be ok to submit ACS with recently completed mcse? Please let me know. Thankful!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Monaavy, I am so thankful for your reply. I have given 3 exams already and after another 2 will get mcse as completed. Is this relevant which year you have given the exam? I am working since 2005. Would it be ok to submit ACS with recently completed mcse? Please let me know. Thankful!!

The ACS process seeks to find the earliest "skill level requirement met date".

If your qualifications are assessed as meeting AQF then depending on the ICT content you need to show 6-8 years relevant work. Depending on the closely related work before OR after the earliest skill met date will be taken.

Any work after skill met is considered skilled employment.

In my view it is better for you to pursue RPL, you will get better mileage on skilled employment.

(I have the same issue, I qualified later in life but submitting them wont help get points!!)

Good luck, remember to post your success story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ACS process seeks to find the earliest "skill level requirement met date".

If your qualifications are assessed as meeting AQF then depending on the ICT content you need to show 6-8 years relevant work. Depending on the closely related work before OR after the earliest skill met date will be taken.

Any work after skill met is considered skilled employment.

In my view it is better for you to pursue RPL, you will get better mileage on skilled employment.

(I have the same issue, I qualified later in life but submitting them wont help get points!!)

Good luck, remember to post your success story.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Ldevota. Another question here. People say they write rpl at length to 3000 words. How do they make it so big. We can only talk about the projects we worked for , what else. Any one can tell how to go about it. I ha e turned 39 already and next Feb would be 40. Quite fearful on this..just do not know how to go about it. Are these paid services for rpl genuine ? Any authentic link you could share to help get the rpl from external resources? Thnx

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't mean to disappoint or worry you, but I doubt that a RPL with only 3000 words of writing is sufficient.

Mine had a little less than 10000 words in total (including the ACS template that is being provided) and I believe that this was one of the shorter RPLs. Remember, you need to pick two topics and talk about your general skills (and how you gained them) and then describe two projects you have been working on in detail. Creating a RPL is a lengthy process, and for me it definitely was the most time-consuming (and, at times, annoying) step in the entire application process - but it is totally manageable, if you have a genuine working history in the ICT area and your nominated occupation. It took me around three months to complete mine.

The ACS also provides a bullet-point list of topics the expect you to deal with in the theory part of the RPL - so as long as you stick to that and explain how you gained your expertise in that particular field of knowledge you should be fine. Also, make sure that you have read the Common Body of Knowledge (CBOK) that is being provided by the ACS. You might want to refer to the CBOK when describing projects, and your particular part in detail. I wasted a significant amount of time by starting working on my RPL without paying attention to the aforementioned bullet-point list and the CBOK, so you might want to check that out before actually start working on you RPL. ;)

It might sound tempting, but I would strictly advise against paying somebody else to write your RPL! You do not know what you'll get and how many times parts of the ghost-written RPL have been recycled in RPLs for other customers. Also I am sure that the ACS is aware of such offers and cross-checks RPLs for any signs of plagiarism which they would not only invalidate your application but also be reported to the DIBP.

Also don't worry about turning 40 next February - if you start working on the ACS application and the RPL before the summer holidays, you should be totally fine. How many points would you be able to claim as of today?

Reactions: ldevotta

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Ldevota. Another question here. People say they write rpl at length to 3000 words. How do they make it so big. We can only talk about the projects we worked for , what else. Any one can tell how to go about it. I ha e turned 39 already and next Feb would be 40. Quite fearful on this..just do not know how to go about it. Are these paid services for rpl genuine ? Any authentic link you could share to help get the rpl from external resources? Thnx
hmmm..3000 words may not be enough. I would say close to 10,000 is a good, having said that I've heard some guys get through with just 5000. Whats IMPORTANT is ACS want to know what you LEARNT and how you APPLIED and NOT what you were doing! Spend time organising your content.

Dump the examples, take:smash: a look ONLY for guidance. Your genuine work will be much better in many ways.

Don't worry about your age I'm 44+ and just starting off, just do not procrastinate. You can do it, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear 77. You almost boosted me up!. Thanks a lot for your generosity and time for explaining bits and pieces. I am just thinking, as said, through some, MCSE also gets considered. What are the consequences if I first try submitting the ACS without RPL. And if they ask rpl later if needed ; could they disqualify or will ask ACS fees again...I mean how does that happen. Any clue on that...??

·
Registered
114 Posts
No worries, mate. ;)

There aren't any consequences when submitting your documents for an assessment without RPL. If the ACS finds that you aren't eligible for such an assessment, they will offer you to convert your application to a RPL-based assessment. And you'll need to pay the differential amount.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You rock my friend!s Thanks a ton, I will follow your advice. And surely will keep you posted to you and everyone else on the thread. Thanks all who gave the direction for now. Will share victory hopeful with the mercy of the one, I worship.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
And thank you ldevotta. I surely would able to share my success story. Thanks for the wishes. Overwhelmed! All the time and attention. Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi There,
I note the comment on ACS determining the earliest skills met date. I am currently doing my RPL references and was wondering how far should I go back. A few companies that I have worked for have closed down so since 2004 I have just over 11 years of references with vary degrees on relation to my ANZSCO - Analyst Developer. how far should I go back with the references - do they accept them when they are older than 10 years?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.