Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question that has been confusing me recently. I think I have the right idea, but just want to double-check:

My wife is currently in the UK on her UK spouse visa. She has had it for a year. In order to be eligible for citizenship she must:-

1) 2.5 years of UK spouse visa
2) Renew the spouse visa for another 2.5 years
3) After these 2 visas (totalling 5 years) she is now eligible for British citizenship? or does she need the ILR first?

I know that you need to follow other things like not be outside the country so many days a year etc. But simply putting it - do I have the right idea?

Cheers

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, after 5 years in UK, she must apply for ILR first (having passed the Life in the UK test and English test at B1, unless she has a degree taught in English; she is a Mexican, isn't she?). Then she can apply for naturalisation. For that, she mustn't have been out of the country more than 270 days in the last 3 years, and no more than 90 in the last 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Not quite. You can't apply for citizenship until you have ILR. After 5 years on spouse/FLR (M) and passing the Life in the UK test and an English test if applicable you apply for ILR. Once you have ILR you can apply for citizenship.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes she is Mexican.

Thanks for clarifying that folks - really helpful as usual.

I think the government need to step up their act with regards to communication to immigrants of all types. The fact that you receive no information when recieveing your visa is a bit of an annoyance - especially after paying a lot of money for it. It doesn't take much - just email updates / a leaflet of some kind. Although, I'm guessing that they do not want to state anything on a piece of paper since they seem to change the rules so often. Ill be right round to my MP's office once they get back from this holiday they seem to be having ...:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

I thought I would post on this thread as my question is in the same area as David's: 5 year Route to ILR.

I have currently renewed my initial spouse visa (FLR (M)) and halfway though to ILR. In 2.5 years I will meet the residential qualifying period, take the Life in the UK test and will be applying for ILR.

For this year's spouse visa renewal we had to collect 6 items of correspondence, in both of our names, spread evenly throughout the initial 2,5 years; payslips we printed off before the application as they are electronic. Tenancy agreement was with us since we started renting.

I we are following the 5 year spouse route (after July 2012 rules) the Home Office has not published the application form, nor the rules for those eligible for ILR in 2017. Any ideas for the plan of action?

-What we documents should we be collecting?
-Can I take the Life in the UK test now or nor worth it as things might change?
-Shall I note down any absences from the UK? Would they ask the total number of days or precise dates?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Home Office will publish new SET(M) form for 2017 to take account of the post-2012 rules.
You need much the same evidence as you have submitted for renewal, such as about cohabitation, financial requirement and accommodation.
You can take the test now, as it won't expire.
You will have to account for every absence from UK. You will need precise dates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Home Office will publish new SET(M) form for 2017 to take account of the post-2012 rules.
You need much the same evidence as you have submitted for renewal, such as about cohabitation, financial requirement and accommodation.
You can take the test now, as it won't expire.
You will have to account for every absence from UK. You will need precise dates.
Thank you so much Joppa!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.