Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't recall where I saw the recommendation for Mr. Brook's website, but I have been perusing it for a little while now and it seems to be a wonderful resource. Can other people here confirm or deny the accuracy and helpfulness of his site? As a Michiganian who has not yet been to Mexico, it would be very helpful. I just want to be sure that I am not gleaning incorrect information.

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts
I can't recall where I saw the recommendation for Mr. Brook's website, but I have been perusing it for a little while now and it seems to be a wonderful resource. Can other people here confirm or deny the accuracy and helpfulness of his site? As a Michiganian who has not yet been to Mexico, it would be very helpful. I just want to be sure that I am not gleaning incorrect information.
Rolly died a year or so ago, so I don't know how current the information on his site is. It was wonderful when he was still among the living and keeping things up to date.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rolly died a year or so ago, so I don't know how current the information on his site is. It was wonderful when he was still among the living and keeping things up to date.
At one point I'm sure his site was the goto place - and we certainly researched it before moving here - but in hindsight I'll say that his site represents a pre-2013 reality.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have contacted someone who was 'associated' with Rolly's site to see if/when it might be decommissioned.... or at least updated if possible. I have not heard back. Rolly passed away early 2015 so the site has not been updated since then.

It is probably still a good site to peruse but I would not 'bet the farm' on some of the information.

... and yes, all of us who knew Rolly miss him terribly!

RickS

·
Registered
700 Posts
I thought at some point I read that someone had funded his site for some time into the future.

Bad information is worse than no information. I think his site is best used for'ideas' - but not for implementing a plan.

·
Registered
236 Posts
At one time it was 'the bible'. Much of it still is.... but how does the newbie understand which is which.

With respect to information and specifically that which comes from forums: One has to learn how to cull the wheat from the chaff and that takes a while, putting two and two together and recognizing that some contributors are not reliable. It's an art. For example I read a Post the other day on another Mexican Forum that the personnel at a certain Mexican Consulate in the US ONLY spoke Spanish. That is patently false but if someone doesn't refute/correct that 'Post' some poor soul(s) might completely change their plans based on the information. Who knows why the comment was made in the first place, but....

·
Registered
121 Posts
With respect to information and specifically that which comes from forums: One has to learn how to cull the wheat from the chaff and that takes a while, putting two and two together and recognizing that some contributors are not reliable.
Yup. With all the changes in immigration in the last few years, the only sources I relied on when apply for my RT this spring were official government of Mexico sites. I didn't care who the expat was or how long they had been in Mexico, with the changes being so major and constantly being tweaked, there is a ton of wrong and bad information out there. Someone who doesn't speak Spanish well enough to get through the Mexican legalese needs to work with a lawyer who is up on the new changes. Even if you speak with someone who just did it, their circumstances can be different, their consulate might not have the same rules, etc.

Another thing I've noticed with the "long-timers" is that many haven't evolved with Mexico. They are still stuck in what Mexico was like 10, 15, 20 years ago. I have one friend I love dearly who has been coming to Mexico for 20+ years who is absolutely ignorant about so many of the current realities, like what you can find in grocery stores. I once overheard her laughing at what she thought were poor innocent idiots looking for lactose-free milk, something that surely wasn't available in Mexico, when I knew that at least two small convenience-type stores nearby carried it. In fact, every food item she said is not available in Mexico is. You just sometimes have to hunt hard for it.

And as a final example, when I first came here, bought into the mentality that TelMex is slow to process orders and patiently waited 11 days for my internet installation to happen. On the 12th day, I asked my landlady if she could follow up and when she did, TelMex was appalled, said that my order had been lost in a system crash the day my order was placed, and that their policy now is to have service put in within a week. They had someone at my door within an hour of the call, which was made late in the afternoon, and the tech worked well past dark getting me online. The next year, installation was scheduled for the first business day after my arrival and while it happened late in the day, it happened.

The only thing that I've found to be absolutely true about Mexico now and then is that the mail service is appalling! :scared:

·
Registered
700 Posts
At one time it was 'the bible'. Much of it still is.... but how does the newbie understand which is which.

With respect to information and specifically that which comes from forums: One has to learn how to cull the wheat from the chaff and that takes a while, putting two and two together and recognizing that some contributors are not reliable. It's an art. For example I read a Post the other day on another Mexican Forum that the personnel at a certain Mexican Consulate in the US ONLY spoke Spanish. That is patently false but if someone doesn't refute/correct that 'Post' some poor soul(s) might completely change their plans based on the information. Who knows why the comment was made in the first place, but....
One of the curses I have been born with is a steel trap memory. I believe someone with your exact same moniker - on this or perhaps another site - at one point claimed that anyone coming into Mexico on a menaje was required to remove those items - at the end of their present visa ? Regardless if that visa was permanent or temporary ?

I'm sure you can catch me up on a mistake or two along the way as well. I do my best to state what I believe as facts - and when I'm not sure - I try to make that clear as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One of the curses I have been born with is a steel trap memory. I believe someone with your exact same moniker - on this or perhaps another site - at one point claimed that anyone coming into Mexico on a menaje was required to remove those items - at the end of their present visa ? Regardless if that visa was permanent or temporary ?
You may remember my name from having part of a discussion on that topic, but I know for a fact I never said that. What I said within that discussion was that in my case I did not bring my household good into Mexico on a menaje de casa and was told by the customs person there is no expectation of removal because I duly imported everything and paid the requisite tax.

Also, I am seriously disturbed by the amount of attention you are lending to my posts. Surely, you have something better to do.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You may remember my name from having part of a discussion on that topic, but I know for a fact I never said that. What I said within that discussion was that in my case I did not bring my household good into Mexico on a menaje de casa and was told by the customs person there is no expectation of removal because I duly imported everything and paid the requisite tax.

Also, I am seriously disturbed by the amount of attention you are lending to my posts. Surely, you have something better to do.
I've got no idea what you are talking about. My comment was based on a post 2+ years ago. Sorry.

Travelingrae bears no resemblance to RickS.

I thick you are under suffering from the Trump syndrome. (Too focused on yourself).

Good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yup. With all the changes in immigration in the last few years, the only sources I relied on when apply for my RT this spring were official government of Mexico sites. I didn't care who the expat was or how long they had been in Mexico, with the changes being so major and constantly being tweaked, there is a ton of wrong and bad information out there. Someone who doesn't speak Spanish well enough to get through the Mexican legalese needs to work with a lawyer who is up on the new changes. Even if you speak with someone who just did it, their circumstances can be different, their consulate might not have the same rules, etc.

The only thing that I've found to be absolutely true about Mexico now and then is that the mail service is appalling! :scared:
Two questions:

1) Re: coming in initially on a 180 day tourist status, with a regular car, it does not look like that has changed a whole lot for at least a couple of years. (note, what happens, or needs to happen, at the end of the 180 days, if you get an RT, specifically re: the car, does seem to be murky)

2) Re: mail service, how about courier service? Is that also appalling? If I will need to have items periodically forwarded to me, what are some good ways to make this happen?

·
Registered
236 Posts
One of the curses I have been born with is a steel trap memory. I believe someone with your exact same moniker - on this or perhaps another site - at one point claimed that anyone coming into Mexico on a menaje was required to remove those items - at the end of their present visa ?
Nope, not me. :D I know nothing about the menaje and stay away from those conversations.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you come in on a 180 day tourist entry permit with a vehicle you need to get a temporary import permit (TIP) for the car, unless you stay close to the border. The TIP is attached to the tourist permit, and when you leave Mexico both are cancelled. You must therefore leave Mexico by driving that vehicle back over the border - flying back for a visit is a no-no.

The RT application process starts in your home country at a Mexican consulate. There is no way to convert to an RT from a 180-day permit once in Mexico as far as I know. There are ways to convert to an RP, if you have a change in status like marrying a Mexican, but you asked specifically about an RT.

2) I subscribed to a commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA) in texas named TexasHomeBase.com for $200/yr and set my US postal mail forwarding address to them. They collect my mail, scan it for me, and when I go back to the US for a visit I have them FedEx my accumulated originals to me wherever I'm staying. They say they have sent mail to Mexico many times for others and recommend FedEx, but it's very expensive, about $75 for a cardboard document envelope.

My Mom is 97 and I visit her back in the US every couple of months so I just wait until I'm back NoB to collect originals. So far nothing has required me to have the original right away, and I've been able to deal with everything using their scans.

I recommend keeping all your financial accounts set to mailed paper statements and have have them mailed to a service like this, then you can periodically collect them and you'll have the documentation you need to get the RT approved or extended or converted to RP. (I screwed up by initially turning off the paper financial statements and I regret it, we'll see if that messes me up - keeping paper turned on would have been easier and I had all the "infrastructure" set up to deal with it anyway.

3) I highly recommend getting your US banking set up before you move. That is, whatever US-based accounts you are going to want, open them while you have a legitimate US residential address, because that is required. (I counted on using my texashomebase address and it didn't work. This is something else I did wrong that caused me extra hassles to get right.) I think Rollybrooke doesn't talk about this all that I recall, because most of the laws and enforcement are more recent.

My advice is geared a bit toward a more digital nomad lifestyle, with a built-in assumption that you might move around and try living different places after you become an ex-pat, even different countries. If you are going to come here for a week, plunk down your nest egg on a property and plan to die there sooner or later, you can do what others have done and use that address for stuff. But that path really isn't a good idea for most people; you may make a very big expensive mistake in selecting your home.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two questions:

1) Re: coming in initially on a 180 day tourist status, with a regular car, it does not look like that has changed a whole lot for at least a couple of years. (note, what happens, or needs to happen, at the end of the 180 days, if you get an RT, specifically re: the car, does seem to be murky)
As explained above, if your intentions are to become Temporal, you would not come in as a Tourist but apply for the RT in a Mexican Consulate in the US. There are financial requirements to be met. Upon leaving the Consulate with paperwork, you will have 6 months (I believe) to enter Mexico. When you do you will get a car permit (TIP) and will, within 30 days, report to INM in your intended domicile.

Once there with your paperwork, you will be started on the RT path. You should tell them that you have a TIP that needs to be included. The process can take 5-6 weeks during which time you can not leave Mexico without permission (letter). Once you get your RT it must be renewed annually as will the car, for up to 4 years. Once at that 4-year point you must remove the vehicle from Mexico as a Permanente cannot have a foreign titled vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts
As explained above, if your intentions are to become Temporal, you would not come in as a Tourist but apply for the RT in a Mexican Consulate in the US. There are financial requirements to be met. Upon leaving the Consulate with paperwork, you will have 6 months (I believe) to enter Mexico. When you do you will get a car permit (TIP) and will, within 30 days, report to INM in your intended domicile.

Once there with your paperwork, you will be started on the RT path. You should tell them that you have a TIP that needs to be included. The process can take 5-6 weeks during which time you can not leave Mexico without permission (letter). Once you get your RT it must be renewed annually as will the car, for up to 4 years. Once at that 4-year point you must remove the vehicle from Mexico as a Permanente cannot have a foreign titled vehicle.
To continue, five years after getting permanent, or two if you are married to a Mexican, you can become a Mexican citizen. Then, you are again allowed to have a foreign plated vehicle, although I don't know why you would want to.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

After processing the Mexican Consulates RT visa to get a RT card/visa in Mexico for 1 year they can renew for 1, 2, or 3 years, not anually and the TIP stays good for as long as your legal stay in Mexico on a Residente Temporal. So if they renew after one year and apply for 3 more years the TIP is good for 4 years total. They only have to notify ADUANA 2 times. Once when they go from the 30 "canje" FMM card to a 1 year RT card/visa and then once more when they go from a 1 year RT to a 3 year RT card.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts