Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in the UK in 1995 and I am 20 years old. My mother was a british citizen at the time of my birth because she was born in the UK too and my father Indian and he naturalised in 2001/2 im not quite sure of the date. I want to apply for ROA from within the UK and just not understanding which documents I will need to submit as I am dual national since birth. I know I will need to submit my indian passport and my original full birth certificate alongside my mothers original birth certificate but is there anything else that I should submit?

PLEASEEEEE help me out as I am in urgent need of the ROA as I have to travel abroad at the end of July xxxxxx

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
It would be faster/easier for you to apply for a UK passport - it's your birthright.

You are UK born to a UK born citizen, so there's no need for applying for an ROA as you're just as British as Queen Elizabeth.

Good luck to you and happy travels!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
And Home Office no longer grants ROA endorsement to those who are British citizens, except in very special circumstance like those who are unable to get British passport under the dual nationality law of their country, or they may cancel their citizenship.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Joppa am applying for ROA because of my indian nationality because they only want one passport to be kept xxxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be faster/easier for you to apply for a UK passport - it's your birthright.

You are UK born to a UK born citizen, so there's no need for applying for an ROA as you're just as British as Queen Elizabeth.

Good luck to you and happy travels!
Hahahaha that is true but the only reason im applying for ROA is because of my indian passport that I have just got the indian immigration only want you to be holder of indian nationality xxxxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And Home Office no longer grants ROA endorsement to those who are British citizens, except in very special circumstance like those who are unable to get British passport under the dual nationality law of their country, or they may cancel their citizenship.
since when has this change come into place? could you provide me with a link please. Also I would be applying for ROA because of my indian passport who only want holders to hold one nationality xxxxx

·
Registered
98 Posts
I applied for and got ROA in 2012 for my daughter in China. China is the same as India when it comes to citizens holding more than one nationalities. I only submitted her consulate birth certificate , her father's birth cert and her father's passport (British citizen)copy along with her Chinese passport. Maybe you can only apply from India.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I applied for and got ROA in 2012 for my daughter in China. China is the same as India when it comes to citizens holding more than one nationalities. I only submitted her consulate birth certificate , her father's birth cert and her father's passport (British citizen)copy along with her Chinese passport. Maybe you can only apply from India.
oh thank you so much for your reply as it is really helpful and I have checked on the Home office website but it says that applications are possible from within the UK but nothing about changes to ROA as what Joppa has mentioned so a little confused really :/ do u know of any changes? xxxxxx

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What I said was that if you already have a British passport, you can't have certificate of entitlement to ROA inserted in your foreign passport. You didn't make it clear.
You just apply in the usual way. Consult https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-certificate-showing-right-of-abode

What normally happens is since almost all holders of ROA are British citizens, they just get British passport. In the past, there were many who were Commonwealth citizens with ROA (because of their parentage) but not British citizens, and they had no option but to get ROA endorsement in their Commonwealth passport.

In your case, with only ROA endorsement, you can't exercise any right within EEA (including visa-free travel), so a lot of people just take out British passport and get the new Overseas Citizen of India card. Isn't it an option for you? Disadvantage over Indian citizenship has considerably diminished over the years, unless you want to own agricultural land or stand for certain public office etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I said was that if you already have a British passport, you can't have certificate of entitlement to ROA inserted in your foreign passport. You didn't make it clear.
You just apply in the usual way.
ahhhhhh I see :D sorry for not being clear enough and I have cancelled my british passport :) so do u know what other documents I would need to provide when applying for ROA? xxxxx

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
List of documents in the Guidance, in the link quoted above.
Overseas Citizen of India card not an option for you? A lot of my Indian acquaintances have that, or the older Indian Origin card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
List of documents in the Guidance, in the link quoted above.
Overseas Citizen of India card not an option for you? A lot of my Indian acquaintances have that, or the older Indian Origin card.
overseas citizen card is not an option as I will be applying for a job in the army over there so I have to have the passport.

I have checked the list of documents and it states:
(i)Applicant’s full birth certificate or adoption certificate;
(ii) (ii) Parents’ marriage certificate (if claiming through father and applicant born before 1 July 2006); and
(iii) (iii)Parent’s full birth certificate, adoption, registration or naturalisation

but im not sure about the bullet point 2 and 3! as im claiming through my mother so would bullet point two be discarded? and about bullet point three is my mothers birth certificate enough or would I need my fathers too? xxxxxxxxx

many thanks in advance Joppa xxx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.