Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just moved here with the family and I am ridiculously happy! The country is beautiful, safe and clean. The people are very kind and very helpful. It is however extremely expensive, so if you can't find a job, you might struggle. I have heard stories about people not being able to get jobs, but I got 3 job offers in my first 2 months in Brisbane. How do you enjoy it? :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is gr8 to hear

So I just moved here with the family and I am ridiculously happy! The country is beautiful, safe and clean. The people are very kind and very helpful. It is however extremely expensive, so if you can't find a job, you might struggle. I have heard stories about people not being able to get jobs, but I got 3 job offers in my first 2 months in Brisbane. How do you enjoy it? :)

Hi Charlize,

It is really happy to hear from you such +ve sign. These words really gives me confidence for my move:clap2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
:clap2: That's really nice Charlize.
3 Jobs in 2 months quite explains the hapiness quotient:)
What profession are you in?
Hope you continuing being happy here - Amen :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is very assuring to read your experience. I am planning to move to Sydney in June and I have some doubts regarding the time it will take me to find a job.

Congrats on the welcome you got in australia.:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Charlize said:
May I ask, what is your profession?

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very pleasing to read and immensely motivating for future enthusiasts...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am curious, just how many job did you apply for to get the 3 job offer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am doing Administration at an international educational company but I will start studying part time in June. I think that I was lucky and that I had the right connections. Also, I believe that God had given me favour. I am very content with my job and the hours. =)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am doing Administration at an international educational company but I will start studying part time in June. I think that I was lucky and that I had the right connections. Also, I believe that God had given me favour. I am very content with my job and the hours. =)
Excellent. Congratulations. Right connections is the key. :)

Any tips?

·
Registered
323 Posts
always happy to read positive comments about the sunshine state, cannot understand about it being more expensive than UK though, I admit we have been here since 96, and are in our late 60,s but inour area we could get full time employment tomorrow if we wanted too!!we live just west of Toowoomba,the mines and gas fields are screaming out for skilled and unskilled workers, the mines here are opencast so no below ground work, and skilled workers , bricklayers,carpenters and plumbers can demand really silly wages, if you are prepared to adapt and work outside the coastal belt, you can make your own future!! we came out here without a pot to wee in 96 , and now happily retired debt free, our home is paid for and we have our health what more can anyone ask for

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice one; I am also moving to Brisbane soon. Any idea which suburb we should go for (couple, no kids)? Which suburb you are living in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nignoy, I am very glad to hear that. It's nice to know that you found financial security again. Something that can cause a lot of strain on all involved.

zyoxizol, I am just renting a little house with the family. We have moved quiet a bit. I really enjoyed living down in Scarborough, Redcliffe and Woody Point. Beautiful seaside views. And as far as I understand, they are pretty safe. North Lakes is pretty safe, but no ocean view. :(

But if you prefer City life, I'm not too sure. I've heard that Toowong is quite nice. If I start studying next year I will probably live and study in the Gold or Sunshine Coast and still work in Brisbane. Its extremely nice down the 2 coasts. I think for a young couple it's perfect.

When are you coming over? Are you coming over permanently? :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nignoy, I am very glad to hear that. It's nice to know that you found financial security again. Something that can cause a lot of strain on all involved.

zyoxizol, I am just renting a little house with the family. We have moved quiet a bit. I really enjoyed living down in Scarborough, Redcliffe and Woody Point. Beautiful seaside views. And as far as I understand, they are pretty safe. North Lakes is pretty safe, but no ocean view. :(

But if you prefer City life, I'm not too sure. I've heard that Toowong is quite nice. If I start studying next year I will probably live and study in the Gold or Sunshine Coast and still work in Brisbane. Its extremely nice down the 2 coasts. I think for a young couple it's perfect.

Hi Charliize, have you looked at Ningi or Bribie island, beautiful area , miles of sunkissed beaches a haven for children and the housing is very good value for money there, we moved from there 2 years ago because we love the mountain wildlife, but we still rent a little weekender down there, give it a try

·
Registered
45 Posts

Yes We are coming over permanently, if everything go to plan. I received a job offer and waiting for my contract to come through. It will be 457 visa for now. Not sure about what salary to ask, My type of experience and skills are around $90K to $180K on job sites in Brisbane. Not sure what is the right salary for the move. Do you think $140K is sufficient for a decent life for a couple to leave in Brisbane? What is the reason you have to move quite a bit? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nignoy, yes, I've forgotten about them, I have never been myself, but I heard that they are beautiful. I'd love to see it.

zyoxizol, I am not sure concerning salaries in Australia, in South Africa our minimum wage is about one pound per hour and thats what the average person gets. So anything over 20 aus dollars seems heaps for me... =P

Well, when I first came to Australia I stayed with family for a few months, then I went back to South Africa for Christmas and after that came back to Aus..again. Then I got my own little place.

I am sure you will love australia, it's beautiful. Where do you currently live in the UK?

I met a lovely British lady in Brisbane a few months ago and she has a little shop called, 'teddies and sweets', she sells all kinds of British and Irish foods ext. I helped around the shop a few times seeing as we became good friends and go there weekly to get Irn Bru & midget gems. =P

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nignoy, yes, I've forgotten about them, I have never been myself, but I heard that they are beautiful. I'd love to see it.

zyoxizol, I am not sure concerning salaries in Australia, in South Africa our minimum wage is about one pound per hour and thats what the average person gets. So anything over 20 aus dollars seems heaps for me... =P

Well, when I first came to Australia I stayed with family for a few months, then I went back to South Africa for Christmas and after that came back to Aus..again. Then I got my own little place.

I am sure you will love australia, it's beautiful. Where do you currently live in the UK?

I met a lovely British lady in Brisbane a few months ago and she has a little shop called, 'teddies and sweets', she sells all kinds of British and Irish foods ext. I helped around the shop a few times seeing as we became good friends and go there weekly to get Irn Bru & midget gems. =P
Was that the teddies and sweets shop in the arcade at Redcliffe??, we pop in there for our pork pie treat , makes the 600km round trip worth while

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh wow! Thats quite a looong trip! 600km! Yes, it's a lovely shop. And the people who work there are so lovely. Makes me want to go to UK even more. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts

I am in Sheffield for now. It is beautiful here as well (lot depends on weather though). Enjoy your midget gems and save some for me as well ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.