Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a housewife, recently shifted to Dubai.
I love rice as every other second person in this world, People say aged rice is good to opt for because it's good in taste and for health as well, I want to know how to identify between aged rice and new rice.

Help me if you know the answer.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,903 Posts
I love rice as every other second person in this world, People say aged rice is good to opt for because it's good in taste and for health as well, I want to know how to identify between aged rice and new rice.

Have you tried reading the label?

Also aged rice tends to be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

I know precisely what you mean. Indeed aged rice can be very tasty.

Basmati and related rices are often marked "aged" as this indicates certain desirable characteristics. Aged Basmati has a lower water content and a specific fragrance. You can check on the label or feel the scent of the bags. I love basmati rice so I go for the the scent if I cannot figure the info on the label.

You will find everywhere lulu supermarket, carrefour and mostly on those Indian/ Pakistani food stores.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I once heard that rice which is not aged is extremely white as compared to the aged rice ,which is dullish & less bright

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried reading the label?

Also aged rice tends to be more expensive.

Just saw the label after your reply. There isn't anything mentioned there like what type of rice is this. I can pay an extra bit for health but how to identify that the rice i am buying is aged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know precisely what you mean. Indeed aged rice can be very tasty.

Basmati and related rices are often marked "aged" as this indicates certain desirable characteristics. Aged Basmati has a lower water content and a specific fragrance. You can check on the label or feel the scent of the bags. I love basmati rice so I go for the the scent if I cannot figure the info on the label.

You will find everywhere lulu supermarket, carrefour and mostly on those Indian/ Pakistani food stores.

Thats cool!
I have heard the same that aged basmati rice has some great aroma and when you cook it, it tends to be more longer and thinner in size.
Have you tried any of these brands? Which one is best?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Currently am buying Rice from one Super market in Al Ain . The brand is BASMATI pride of Pakistan. Try that one. Hope that help.

ALLAH hafiz

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for info mate! It will surely gonna help me!
You are in Dubai? From where do you get grocery?
Yes ,I am in Dubai ... When I used to live in Al Ras ,I used to buy 'Dhamaka Rice' ,which fits all the requirements you're looking for .... as there is a HUGE wholesale market for rice & lentils there but that was many many years ago !

·
Registered
394 Posts
OMG!
I just love biryani, But isn't biryani cook more good with "Saila" chawal.

I hope i spelled it right.
I think it depends on your preferences, biryani is normally cooked with basmati rice (long grained rice), but Afghani pulao/biryani is sometimes cooked with saila rice. The Al Adil grocery stores in Barsha and Karama have a good selection of rice.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Have you tried any of these brands? Which one is best?
hmmm... I am not locked to a specific brand. I am quite adventurous in trying different brands. If I am having basmati I will check the scent for sure.

Premium basmati tend to be more expensive and feature a better packaging . For me, it really does not matter. I had tried couple where the packaging was not that appealing but the taste was pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes ,I am in Dubai ... When I used to live in Al Ras ,I used to buy 'Dhamaka Rice' ,which fits all the requirements you're looking for .... as there is a HUGE wholesale market for rice & lentils there but that was many many years ago !
Thanks Thanks!
I have got so many brands to consider now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmmm... I am not locked to a specific brand. I am quite adventurous in trying different brands. If I am having basmati I will check the scent for sure.

Premium basmati tend to be more expensive and feature a better packaging . For me, it really does not matter. I had tried couple where the packaging was not that appealing but the taste was pretty good.
Sounds good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts