Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a US citizen newly resident in France, who will have to pay US taxes first and then French taxes on the remainder, how would I calculate my revenu fiscal de référence? Would it be:

1. My net taxable income after deductions
OR
2. The portion of my net taxable income subject to French taxation (i.e., after the IRS have taken their bite)?

I gravely fear it's #1!

(And yes, I'm off to talk to the Impots here in the next couple of days, and have a Paris-based tax firm doing both my US and French tax returns next year, but I'm hoping someone can put me out of my suspense!)

·
Registered
671 Posts
For a US citizen newly resident in France, who will have to pay US taxes first and then French taxes on the remainder, how would I calculate my revenu fiscal de référence? Would it be:

1. My net taxable income after deductions
OR
2. The portion of my net taxable income subject to French taxation (i.e., after the IRS have taken their bite)?

I gravely fear it's #1!

(And yes, I'm off to talk to the Impots here in the next couple of days, and have a Paris-based tax firm doing both my US and French tax returns next year, but I'm hoping someone can put me out of my suspense!)
Hi,
See the relevant treaty here;
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/france.pdf

in particular; articles 6, 18, 19, and 24

This appears to be the same as the UK/France treaty, so you declare US source rents and government pensions gross of US tax , but the figures are only used to calculate the french average tax rate and the income is not itself taxed (relief given by a credit equal to french tax due. Other income taxed in the US -dividends etc are declared for taxation in France and a credit of 17.7% is given. , with credit given for US tax taken at source. Bank interest is taxable in France , and should be declared gross
For full details download the relevant forms 2042 and 2047(including the "Notice") from Impots.gouv.fr " particuliers /recherche de formulaires"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cmu...

Thanks, Parsnips. I think I have that fairly straight as far as the French impots are concerned, but how does that work for calculating cotisations for the CMU de base? I gather those are calculated as (revenu fiscal de référence - 9050) x 8%. So if my US taxable income was, for example, $59050 for last year, would I be paying CPAM $4000/year for my healthcare?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.