Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I'm excited to come across this forum as I am starting to reach the end of what I can research.

Here is some background:
I was born in Britain and have dual citizenship. I have been living in the USA for most of my life, but now I would like to return to the UK with my partner. I have been in a serious relationship with my partner for over two years, we also have been cohabiting for over two years.
She is a US Citizen with a degree and we both have been working and living in the USA.

From my research it seems like going the route of EEA Extended Family Permit for unmarried partnership is our best option for her immigration.

I am curious if this would be allowable since I do not currently reside in the UK. (but I am a national)
I can show documentation of my income in the USA and I am currently applying for jobs before moving.

Does anyone have any advice or insight? I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Zeph

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If you're British then EEA permits do not apply to you, and you'll have to meet the requirements for an unmarried partner visa (join family living in the uk)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're British then EEA permits do not apply to you, and you'll have to meet the requirements for an unmarried partner visa (join family living in the uk)

Thank you clever-octopus; this is the reason I am reaching out for help!

Would I be able to use my US income to sponsor?
Will my current (and past) residency outside the UK hinder my application?

Thank you for the support.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Thank you clever-octopus; this is the reason I am reaching out for help!

Would I be able to use my US income to sponsor?
Will my current (and past) residency outside the UK hinder my application?

Thank you for the support.
Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify for the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Usually your US income will only count if you have been in it for over 6 months, earn the equivalent of 18,600 GBP per annum AND have a job offer in the UK starting within 3 months of return. Usually the foreign income will cease upon return to the UK hence the need to have another job waiting to qualify.

Your current and past residency outside the UK is irrelevant as long as you are a British citizen.

Here is the site for applying for settlement visa for your partner:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Reactions: Zeph

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Read through FM 1.7 to understand the options for meeting the financial requirement. When returning to the UK from abroad and relying on income there are 2 parts. You must be earning the requirement or more in your current job in the U.S. AND you must have a job lined up in the UK earning the requirement or more which starts within 3 months of your return.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the valuable information.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to continue working remotely for my current employer to satisfy this requirement.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, but it has to be a UK job, being paid in UK in sterling etc. It will be difficult if your employer doesn't have a branch or subsidiary in UK, through which you can continue working for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking at a few web development positions in my family's city. Would a job offer suffice for proof of income?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For cohabitation documentation I have the lease, drivers license issued 2 years ago, pay slips ever month for both parties, various doctor bills, taxes. Would a notarized letter from our landlord stating the time we resided in our home assist? Thank you for the advice. I'm looking forward to being back with my family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.