Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the fact my fiance will have to stay in south korea when we both go there in april to get married from the uk, I have been considering the possibility of living in south korea for a year.
My question is, if i were to do this, how would we both return to the uk? If I didnt have a job would i still have to meet the financial requirements of the spouse visa?

If so would it be better then to wait in uk until we can get the spouse visa?

Thank you for your help

Paul

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Due to the fact my fiance will have to stay in south korea when we both go there in april to get married from the uk, I have been considering the possibility of living in south korea for a year.
That's fine, if you get a relevant visa.

My question is, if i were to do this, how would we both return to the uk? If I didnt have a job would i still have to meet the financial requirements of the spouse visa?
Only your job and income count.

If so would it be better then to wait in uk until we can get the spouse visa?
Trouble with staying on in Korea is when you do decide to come home, you'll have to meet the financial requirement on your own, either working in Korea earning £18,600 and have a job offer in UK starting within 3 months paying the same. Or just return home ahead of her and start working. After 6 months and being paid consistently £1550 a month for 6 months, she can apply.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
But don't underestimate the difficulty of finding a job in another EEA country where you perhaps don't speak the language and never lived before.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
There was a poster not so long ago who stayed in Paris area for months trying to find job for Surinder Singh purpose and just couldn't find anything. It would have been better remaining in UK and earning the required amount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think staying in my current job will be the best idea.
Out of interest, how would that work anyway? Firstly how would she be able to move to another EEA county and then wouldn't we have to still be earning the required amount for 6 months on our return?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Sites like this save relationships and change lives for those without money.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I think staying in my current job will be the best idea.
Out of interest, how would that work anyway? Firstly how would she be able to move to another EEA county and then wouldn't we have to still be earning the required amount for 6 months on our return?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Sites like this save relationships and change lives for those without money.
The way Surinder Singh rule works is you both move to another EEA country and you as EU national work or run a business/engage in self-employment, and then she applies for EEA family permit to enter UK. There is no financial requirement - only that your job is legit, genuine - not casual cash-in-hand or transitory. And you don't have to be working in UK for her to get her residence card valid 5 years. But take note of my caveat.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you have a BA, and you get a CELTA, and learn to teach ESL - English as a Second Language - You may be able to find some work in some EU countries.

Even that is not easy, but I have seen people do it.

I have a friend who just landed a job in Northern Italy. But she had two years experience too.

So, not sure if a new CELTA holder would be hired there...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry but 1 more question if you dont mind. I have managed to borrow some money to put into my account for 6 months to help with the financial requirements. I have borrowed it from my mum (her life savings god bless her!). Do I need to prove where it is from?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Sorry but 1 more question if you dont mind. I have managed to borrow some money to put into my account for 6 months to help with the financial requirements. I have borrowed it from my mum (her life savings god bless her!). Do I need to prove where it is from?
Unless you mean she is going to give you a gift, you might want to reconsider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.