Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Returning to the US

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
Just remember the line "you can't go home again" - after 6 years, the places you used to know have changed. If you look at it as moving on to a new place, there's less chance for disappointment.

I had to move back after only a year in the UK, and even in that short a period of time, I wasn't going back to the same place. You have no credit history, and no insurance history, so it's back to square one on those. Not insurmountable, but folks expecting to be back "home" again often are surprised at their status on arrival. I found myself a job in Europe and headed back on my own. Though I love going back to visit, I know I could never live back there again.

There is also, in your case, the issue of how your long term de facto partner can join you (assuming you talk him or her into it). The US won't recognize a "long term de factor partner" unless you are married in the old fashioned sense. They will recognize a "civil union" partner for the purposes of getting a B2 visa - but that only gives the partner the right to stay with you six months out of the year, and no working privileges.

You may want to make a scouting trip back to the US to research what your options are, job-wise, insurance-wise and living conditions-wise, before you take any decisions. When you're visiting family, you don't have to confront the nitty gritty issues of day to day life in the US.
Cheers,
Bev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.