Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just finishing two years in France on expat assignment with my company. I am still employed with the company in the UK and am still on UK T&C's. Question is, the job that they have offered me back in the UK is below my level and is not what I expected - what are my rights if I refuse this job? If they can't find me anything else, can I be made redundant?

I know i should really speak to an employment lawyer but this costs toooooo much!!

Thanks for any help you can give

Jamie

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
IMNAL, but I think legality depends on your employment contract. If you are made redundant, you have statutory rights to notice, payment etc. If you are offered a position below what you are qualified for, I suppose you can make a representation, with your union backing if you belong to one. But normally a company can offer any position they like, unless it breaks your condition of service. In some professions like teaching or nursing, once you reach a certain grade or pay point, you have statutory right to be paid on that point, and no one can offer you less. But I don't know if similar rule exists in the private sector, and if it's common to have such clauses in employment contract.
Has this happened to anyone else in your firm, and what was the outcome?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.