Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering returning to australia after 12 years living overseas, my health is not good. i am 55. any ideas on the procedure for doing this and eligibility for sickness or welfare payments. thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
i am considering returning to australia after 12 years living overseas, my health is not good. i am 55. any ideas on the procedure for doing this and eligibility for sickness or welfare payments. thank you very much.
Apart from returning as a visitor, I don't see how you could return.

The Australian Migration Program is based on benefit to Australia - it's generally considered that older people won't contribute much to the economy, but will be a substantial cost to it over time.

Age is the first barrier, almost all permanent visas require that you be under 50. Then there is the possible issue of whether you might pass the medical or not.

There are no sickness or welfare payments payable to migrants for the first 2 years.

You can have a look here; https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1 but I suspect the only way you'd get here is on a partner visa, an investor visa if you have at least $1.5 Million to invest, or on a Parent Visa if you had a child here who was a permanent resident.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Are you an Australian citizen? You are generally not eligible for any disability support payments unless you are a resident or citizen of Australia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts