Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Logistics question. When I ship everything to sheffield (spouse visa) what exactly do I include to get my documents back? I assume a self-addressed envelope large enough with paid postage but I'm confused on how exactly to get that. From experience with UPS if a label isn't used in a certain amount of time it's void.

Thanks!!:confused:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Pretty simple, actually

Hey guys!

Logistics question. When I ship everything to sheffield (spouse visa) what exactly do I include to get my documents back? I assume a self-addressed envelope large enough with paid postage but I'm confused on how exactly to get that. From experience with UPS if a label isn't used in a certain amount of time it's void.

Thanks!!:confused:
The fastest method is to open an online account with your choice of company - FedEx, DHL, etc. This allows you to enter a debit or credit card for payment of charges in both directions and gives you an account number to put on the waybill. I used FedEx.

Then you just get the waybills and shipping supplies from a local office (which is where you'll probably drop off the packet when ready). Complete one waybill with you as the shipper and Sheffield as the receiver for sending your packet out. Then complete the second waybill by just reversing the same info, attach it to an empty envelope (pak), fold and include with your packet. On both waybills, just check the box that indicates that the charges are to be paid by your account.

The number on each waybill can then be used to track your package, both to and from Sheffield. This is great because then you know when to be home for your delivery.

Your packet shouldn't weigh more than 5lbs at very most. It will weigh less on the return as UKBA will keep some of your documents.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Water Dragon, on the UKBA site it says:

"The return shipping must be prepaid. We will not ship applications where payment is taken after the application is shipped (for example, where a credit card or account number is provided on the shipping label to be charged later)."

I'm assuming this means you can't merely check the box such that the shipping will be charged to the account number you give FedEx but have to actually pre-pay for the postage. Can you clarify? Many thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Water Dragon, on the UKBA site it says:

"The return shipping must be prepaid. We will not ship applications where payment is taken after the application is shipped (for example, where a credit card or account number is provided on the shipping label to be charged later)."

I'm assuming this means you can't merely check the box such that the shipping will be charged to the account number you give FedEx but have to actually pre-pay for the postage. Can you clarify? Many thanks!
There is a place on the waybill where you put your FedEx account number (NOT a credit card or debit card number) and then there is a box where it asks who is paying for the shipment - sender or receiver. On the waybill going TO Sheffield, you would put your FedEx account number and check "Sender". On the waybill coming back to you FROM Sheffield, you list your FedEx account number and check "Receiver". (I don't have a waybill in front of me, so the terminology might be slightly different, but the meaning is the same.) This has nothing to do with the UKBA as it is a contract you have set up directly with FedEx.

This is how I did it and has also worked for many other people who have applied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks - it does seem like the language from the UKBA website indicates that that is not acceptable, but maybe I am misunderstanding it.

In any case, I included with my application a return envelope with a waybill listing my credit card. I am concerned this will be a problem (although it doesn't seem to be materially different from including a Fedex account number . . . ) I am considering sending another envelope with return shipping as you have described above. What would you advise?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mods or experienced poster input needed please

Thanks - it does seem like the language from the UKBA website indicates that that is not acceptable, but maybe I am misunderstanding it.

In any case, I included with my application a return envelope with a waybill listing my credit card. I am concerned this will be a problem (although it doesn't seem to be materially different from including a Fedex account number . . . ) I am considering sending another envelope with return shipping as you have described above. What would you advise?
I'm not sure what the difference is, except that by applying for and accepting the account with FedEx and giving them access to your financial info, then they are responsible for coming after you for payment, not UKBA. If you just list your credit card on the waybill, anyone who sees the package has access to it (my major concern) and who would do the actual billing - FedEx, UKBA...???

I'm sorry, I don't have enough experience to comment on whether you should re-send anything to UKBA. From what I've read, it is very difficult to communicate with anyone there, and very easy to cause confusion. I'd wait and see what the mod's or more experienced people suggest. There has been a couple of examples of people who forgot to send the return billing material and still got their visa delivered, but that doesn't mean the UKBA will continue to do so.

Could someone with more knowledge comment on this? :confused:

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Not much to add, except to wait for the outcome. If UKBA won't send the package back without the charge being borne by you, they will contact you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - yes I did. I got an email from them asking me to email them with an account number with an international shipping courier (I used Fedex), so hopefully all will be well (at least with the return of my documents). Fingers crossed on the visa!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update for anyone who's interested: after sending my package off to Sheffield with a FedEx waybill with my credit card number on it, I received an email from UKBA requesting that I send them a FedEx account number to which they could charge the return postage. I provided them the number. In my "decision has been made" email they gave me a tracking number for the return package. Oddly, the package did not appear to be charged to the account I gave them. In any case it arrived (with my visa!)

Thanks for your help everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts