Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out something that completely changed my budget:

Nationals [...] are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding thirty (30) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination
So in order to enter the Philippines I need a pre-booked flight ticket elsewhere in the world within 30 days?

What if I want to stay for 12 months (2 x 6 months) utilising the visa extension scheme? Do I need to buy a new ticket every time I want to extend my stay?

Is it possible to buy a ticket which is flexible and "postpone" the flight couple of times in order to stay for 12 months?

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are entering the Philippines on a tourist visa, yes, Immigration at the airport will want to see an onward ticket.
Depending on where you're coming from, the airline may not let you board the flight to the Philippines if you can't show them an onward ticket.

The good news is you can "rent" a dirt cheap onward ticket. Just do a Google search for something like "cheap onward ticket" and you can find multiple websites offering that service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are entering the Philippines on a tourist visa, yes, Immigration at the airport will want to see an onward ticket.
Depending on where you're coming from, the airline may not let you board the flight to the Philippines if you can't show them an onward ticket.

The good news is you can "rent" a dirt cheap onward ticket. Just do a Google search for something like "cheap onward ticket" and you can find multiple websites offering that service.
You are my life saver 😊

·
Registered
348 Posts
when i came there before the pandemic I purchased a one way ticket to Manila since I was staying for a few months and also bought another ticket leaving the country for $92. It is cheap to get a forwarding ticket. that way you by pass the traveling laws.

art

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just found out something that completely changed my budget:

So in order to enter the Philippines I need a pre-booked flight ticket elsewhere in the world within 30 days?

What if I want to stay for 12 months (2 x 6 months) utilising the visa extension scheme? Do I need to buy a new ticket every time I want to extend my stay?

Is it possible to buy a ticket which is flexible and "postpone" the flight couple of times in order to stay for 12 months?
Go here https://aironwardticket.com

Fred

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I like many are back and forward to PH. (until C-19) and yes always a return ticket or onward flight out of the country or you won't be allowed to board the initial flight at check in, they know and if a different company is involved you will be asked for your exit flight details as a visitor. The airline you booked with is responsible for this, not immigration in PH. and also has to bear the cost of the flight if you are refused entry for not complying with a return/onward ticket. They know the rules.

The 30 day visa is great if its a holiday and many times I/we secure with return ticket/s as it's only a family catch up, Christmas, Holy Week etc. Many times,,,,,, 4/5 times from memory over the last 10 years working here twice, my employer accomplished all the paperwork but other times when not sure of our stay duration would book a flexible return ticket 3 to 6 months out. It didn't matter to immi here in PH. that the return ticket was 30 days or longer.
My last return ticket was cancelled by the booking agent because of C-19, a few months later my money was refunded and I live here now without an onward ticket for the last 18 months on a visitor visor, when we lived in Manila 8 or 9 years ago I was never asked for my onward flight by immi.

Point is Firstly if you can jump through the hoops to actually land here, quarantine etc as a tourist/visitor (good luck at the moment) the duration or exit country matters little as long as you initially hold a return or throw away flight. Once in country from my experience no one is going to look at you providing you keep paying your visa extensions.

Sorry for yet another waffle on and as always OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The ruled say return journey or onward to next destination, so the cheapest onward ticket will do. Often referred to as a throw away ticket. Assuming your not travelling until the Philippines opens up to tourists any where local to the Philippines will do. Currently you may struggle with the limited flight availability.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't think I would trust the onward ticket website. If you can't afford to buy just a $100 ticket to throw away,I don't think you should be going to the Philippines. I never used my forwarding ticket to Singapore, I just threw it away. I showed it to the check in at the port of entry and I was cleared to travel.

art

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
When I was coming back on a tourist visa, I just booked a flight on a travel site that was 100% refundable. I booked it just before check in at the departure airport and canceled it as soon as I cleared customs while waiting for my baggage.

Still booked the cherapest ticket I could find just in case there was a problem with canceling or the card was charged and I had to wait to get the refund.

Only ever checked by the airlines and not by Immigration.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When I was coming back on a tourist visa, I just booked a flight on a travel site that was 100% refundable. I booked it just before check in at the departure airport and canceled it as soon as I cleared customs while waiting for my baggage.

Still booked the cherapest ticket I could find just in case there was a problem with canceling or the card was charged and I had to wait to get the refund.

Only ever checked by the airlines and not by Immigration.
They are the sticklers for ensuring you have the ticket! They pay the fine if you don't have one. Immigration only seems to spot check and they probably know the airlines that are lax at checking for onward tickets.

Chuck

·
Registered
29 Posts
I came in October and I worried about the exit ticket. I bought a refundable ticket to Guam, a place a US citizen can go without hassle, on the way to airport.
At airport I was traveling with wife and airline only asked to see marriage certificate, no other things and no exit ticket. I am thinking since balikbyan visa is only one that was allowing spouses in that they didn't need to check.
In Philippines no one asked about anything and just gave me balikbyan visa, so I am good for a year. I refunded the ticket within 24 hours and was free and clear.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I came in October and I worried about the exit ticket. I bought a refundable ticket to Guam, a place a US citizen can go without hassle, on the way to airport.
At airport I was traveling with wife and airline only asked to see marriage certificate, no other things and no exit ticket. I am thinking since balikbyan visa is only one that was allowing spouses in that they didn't need to check.
In Philippines no one asked about anything and just gave me balikbyan visa, so I am good for a year. I refunded the ticket within 24 hours and was free and clear.
Balikbayan doesn't need and onward ticket. I recently had no problem with Emirates, just had to show our marriage certificate. The problem arises when the airline is not familiar with the rules.
Think about it, the the balikbayan privilege gives 1 year entry and you can only buy a ticket 10-11 months ahead.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Depending on the airline supervisor you can get forced to get ticket. they should know the rules but they can stop you from flying.
That is what happened to me in Singapore. I had to buy a $70 dollar (non-refundable) ticket just to be able to get on board. So it cost me $70 for the ignorance of someone else, and prompted me to get 13A status some 5 years ago.

Fred

·
Registered
348 Posts
when I came there to live I purchased a ticket to Singapore also. It was the cheapest to get. I never used it but I needed a forwarding ticket from the Philippines. I just threw it away. at the time it was $65 from Davao city.

art

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
when I came there to live I purchased a ticket to Singapore also. It was the cheapest to get. I never used it but I needed a forwarding ticket from the Philippines. I just threw it away. at the time it was $65 from Davao city.

art

I was already on Balickbayan status and was only in Singapore for a holiday but she would not let me board without a ticket out of Manilla. So frustrating and nearly missed my flight home.

Fred

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it safe to use these onward ticket-renting sites? I had a look and they do say it generates a PNR code like a regular ticket but still...it will feel tense at the check in counter as they punch in the ticket# to cross check.

I've always flown in with a CebuPac return ticket (usually to Singapore). Whilst I stay with the gf I extend my visa. I then use the CebuPac app tp cancel my flight, the money goes into their CebPac Travel Fund. When the time comes and I wanna fly out I just find a flight, pay for it using the fund and thats it.

Would be interested to hear from anyone whose used those onward ticket renting sites regularly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
hey katana

I am not sure if it is safe using these other sites. I used one for my forwarding ticket to Singapore. I had no problem but of course I threw it away. I only got it so I could be in the Philippines.

art

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey katana

I am not sure if it is safe using these other sites. I used one for my forwarding ticket to Singapore. I had no problem but of course I threw it away. I only got it so I could be in the Philippines.

art
So all it does is register on the system into thinking its a valid return ticket, kinda neat. Wonder how they pull it off. So it tells you which airline the seat is on as well? You can go to the airline website, type in the throwaway ticket PNR and it shows up?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Katana,

no to enter the philippines as a tourist you have to have a forwarding ticket within the 90 day period. they stamp the passport for 90 days. but you never need to use the forwarding ticket. I extended my stay after 90 days.

art

1 - 20 of 29 Posts