Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am just at the beginning of thinking about moving, so please bear with me. I currently live in Italy (as an Expat) but for a number of reasons, I am considering moving myself and my son to Australia. Most of my reasons are based on my sense that Italy (at this point) has little to offer in terms of future possibilities for my son, but also for myself. As a 43 year old, self employed single mom, my thoughts keep turning back to the option of training as a nurse, or some kind of medical aid. This is close to impossible, and useless, in Italy, but if I were to move to Australia, it would be with this project in mind.

My question is : has any one migrated to Australia to start "from scratch"? I have done the "new life / new friends" part many times, but reinventing a whole new carrier? Would I need to get the training BEFORE or can I come as a student (with my son in tow) to train there then apply for a permanent work visa?

As I said, I'm just at the starting block and the move, if any, will be in at least 18months but I want to think about this carefully, and look at all the angles, slowly but surely.

Your experience and insight would be truly appreciated.

Thank you

G

·
Do you already work and have a skilled occupation? You will need this to migrate unless you were thinking of a student visa?

However you should know foreign students pay international fees which are very costly and get no state help in the form of loans or grants and can only work 20hrs a week. In some areas you will also pay a few thousand dollars per year to send your child to school. You will also get no help in the form of welfare family benefits and child care from the state.
If you have quite a bit saved up this might not be an issue for you.

Also how old is your son and would you be able to get signed permission from his father to remove him from the country to Australia? You will need this to get any visa.

Europe is pretty rough right now, I know I'm in the UK and still unemployed after redundancy in 2010. But it would still be best to study here for me as I can get state support. As much as they are trying to reduce it, it is still there available to me unlike Australia.

That is unless you already qualify for a skilled migration visa based on what you do not? Then you could use that to move and work or study. Still costly with little state help but you would get some and no 20hr restriction on working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. I realize that it would be quite an investment since I don't think I qualify for the skilled worker visa (would need to check though). I have worked in hospitality/tourism for many years, mostly self-employed, and speak several languages so could still work in that field but I am not sure it would be considered "skilled working". Nursing, on the other hand, seems to be in Demand and something I have been considering for some time, even independently of Australia. I realize I would need to invest a bunch of savings for the first year or two, but the turn around, in the long run (ie working once I have my degree) may be worth considering. Here in Italy I don't see ANY option, nor much of a possibility for my son. Also, as a single mom, life in Australia might be more pleasant for me (and my son) since we have been here 1 year, and despite speaking the language fluently etc we have had a very hard time creating a nucleus of friends. Everything here is very "family" oriented : moms and dads and aunts and uncles and grandparents.... none of which apply to us.

My son is 5, but he doesn't have a father (literally) so permission is not an issue.

I will keep your suggestions in mind as I explore further. Thank you again

G

·
Have a look on the sol and see if anything fits. Self employed people can get in because its the tasks you do day to day that matter along with your qualifications.
But there are also business visas if you have a viable business you could transfer to australia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a look on the sol and see if anything fits. Self employed people can get in because its the tasks you do day to day that matter along with your qualifications.
But there are also business visas if you have a viable business you could transfer to australia.
Thank you. I'm sorry, what is the SOL?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.