Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Hey Barry,

over a metre of snow,

I can't imagine what that would be like to live in day to day.

We have been there in December, but it wasn't below zero. Ofena gets snow, but it doesn't stay around like it does in Carrufo, Villa, and above.

We used 40 euro in gas staying warm though in a week !

Those gas heaters on wheels that take a big bottle really pump out the heat, though. We also
have the deodorized kero one with electric ignition in the kitchen though. It is quick and easy. It doesn't heat the two rooms though like the gas ones.

It is certainly an area of contrasts though, always amazed to come in on a warm sunny day and see snow covered peaks all around. May and June are wonderful , but I just couldn't wait to get back over ! Are you heading over any time soon ?
Hi Lynda
Apparently Ofena has also been cut off by the snow this year. The comune has been closed for over a week because nobody can get to it.
This is the first year,since we bought the house in 2007, that we haven't been to Ofena in February, it is a good thing that we decided not to go this year. Previous years, we have worn 't' shirts because it has been warm for us.There has also been over a foot of snow in Pescara, which is unheard of!!!:smow:
Judy

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey Barry,

over a metre of snow,

I can't imagine what that would be like to live in day to day.

We have been there in December, but it wasn't below zero. Ofena gets snow, but it doesn't stay around like it does in Carrufo, Villa, and above.

We used 40 euro in gas staying warm though in a week !

Those gas heaters on wheels that take a big bottle really pump out the heat, though. We also
have the deodorized kero one with electric ignition in the kitchen though. It is quick and easy. It doesn't heat the two rooms though like the gas ones.

It is certainly an area of contrasts though, always amazed to come in on a warm sunny day and see snow covered peaks all around. May and June are wonderful , but I just couldn't wait to get back over ! Are you heading over any time soon ?
We have 3 kerosene heaters plus an electric one and they work down to about 0. Haven't tried them in really cold weather but Gianni gives me a rough time if we keep the temperature in the house more than +15. Anne says she has to wear 3 sweaters even in their house and she is still cold!

·
Registered
227 Posts
We have 3 kerosene heaters plus an electric one and they work down to about 0. Haven't tried them in really cold weather but Gianni gives me a rough time if we keep the temperature in the house more than +15. Anne says she has to wear 3 sweaters even in their house and she is still cold!
Layers eh?

My mum gave me a big coat, I think that might be the go ! I took it over last trip. Funny we have left a few jackets there !

·
Registered
3 Posts
L'Aquila

Hi my name is Ben Barrett I'm 24 and from Leicester, I came across your post about moving to Abruzzo. I live in L'Aquila and I'm looking for work in the region, just wondered if you have any tips or advice about where I could look. I hope everything is ok with your house there must have been lots of problems after the earthquake, Anyway thanks for your time and all the best. Ben. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Hi my name is Ben Barrett I'm 24 and from Leicester, I came across your post about moving to Abruzzo. I live in L'Aquila and I'm looking for work in the region, just wondered if you have any tips or advice about where I could look. I hope everything is ok with your house there must have been lots of problems after the earthquake, Anyway thanks for your time and all the best. Ben. :)
Hi Ben
It is lovely to hear from you.
All I can suggest is that you ask at your lcal Comune or try contacting companies such as Houses arund Italy who have got agents that speak excellent English(if your Italian is not too good) they may know of someone who can offer work but it all depends on what type of work you are after.
We are still waiting to hear news about our house, we have had to delay our move to Italy once again because we are still waiting for the repair project to be passed by the engineer at the Comune.
Good luck with your job search.
Judy.:welcome:

·
Registered
111 Posts
looking for work

there could be some hope on the horizon because basically in Italy its been a closed shop with work if found being underpaid and short term

new laws should be in action before the end of this month .. being set up by the new government.. what it will mean is that some of the sharper practices like insisting you are registered for vat and paying your own expenses whilst in reality being employed are to be stopped .. this is very common practice in places like language schools and estate agencies .. it will all take a while to get sorted but it does seem that Italy at long last will not only be part of the EU in fact but in spirit too... employment might well be easier to find and more open soon.. good luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Ready to move

Hi
Hope that everyone is okay as this forum seems to have been very quiet lately.
Well it looks as if we have found a buyer for our house in the UK so we are heading to Ofena the first week of September with a caravan and we will live in that until the repairs on our house are completed. Unfortunately, they haven't even started yet. Our useless architect hasn't done anything constructive for months so we are going regardless, and if I have to go up to the Comune every day, I will.
Hopefully, we will get to meet some of you when you come over for a visit.
Interesting and exciting times ahead.
Judy.:cheer2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
September

Hi
Hope that everyone is okay as this forum seems to have been very quiet lately.
Well it looks as if we have found a buyer for our house in the UK so we are heading to Ofena the first week of September with a caravan and we will live in that until the repairs on our house are completed. Unfortunately, they haven't even started yet. Our useless architect hasn't done anything constructive for months so we are going regardless, and if I have to go up to the Comune every day, I will.
Hopefully, we will get to meet some of you when you come over for a visit.
Interesting and exciting times ahead.
Judy.:cheer2:
That's great Judy,

Are you going to be there in time for the picnic?
Is your caravan insulated and heated?

Barry

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That's great Judy,

Are you going to be there in time for the picnic?
Is your caravan insulated and heated?

Barry
Hi Barry
What picnic?
Yes, the caravan has got a heater and the windows are double glazed so we should be okay during the winter. If it gets too cold we will have to stay in bed all day:D but we are trying to cover all eventualities. At least this way I can keep going up to the Comune to pester them.:)Judy

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi judy , hi barry,

I booked again about a week ago. We are flying into barcrlona for a few days then heading to ofena around the 11th of oct to the 19th. It is never long enough though. Such a long way fron australia we always lose so many days traveling. We will miss your picnic barry which is a shame. It is a fantastic thing you are planning. I can't believe you have 100 people coming ! I hope you plans are finally falling into place judy and that being their will make things start happening. we finally got an electricity bill from enil and it was huge. Gianni took the readings and came to laquila with us to sort it out. Turns out they had overestimated and it ended up only 345.00 euros. We tried to see someone at the commune about the taxes but he wasnt there. Will try again this visit. Lorenzo made us a new front door i am nervous as im hoping it is balanced and to scale. it has internal shutters so we can light the stairs. I hope i havent made a mistake doing it in timber. maybe i can finally meet you judy this trip :) we havent done much to the place but we hope to do some more clearing in the courtyard. So much rubbish there. When i find the bottom ill be able to think about the stairs !

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Hi judy , hi barry,

I booked again about a week ago. We are flying into barcrlona for a few days then heading to ofena around the 11th of oct to the 19th. It is never long enough though. Such a long way fron australia we always lose so many days traveling. We will miss your picnic barry which is a shame. It is a fantastic thing you are planning. I can't believe you have 100 people coming ! I hope you plans are finally falling into place judy and that being their will make things start happening. we finally got an electricity bill from enil and it was huge. Gianni took the readings and came to laquila with us to sort it out. Turns out they had overestimated and it ended up only 345.00 euros. We tried to see someone at the commune about the taxes but he wasnt there. Will try again this visit. Lorenzo made us a new front door i am nervous as im hoping it is balanced and to scale. it has internal shutters so we can light the stairs. I hope i havent made a mistake doing it in timber. maybe i can finally meet you judy this trip :) we havent done much to the place but we hope to do some more clearing in the courtyard. So much rubbish there. When i find the bottom ill be able to think about the stairs !
Hi Lynda
It will be lovely to meet up with you. We will definitely be there then as we should be arriving about the 7th/8th September.
There is still no good news about the repairs on our house. We are getting really fed up about it.
We are also hoping to have new wood framed doors made for our house as well(once the repairs have been completed) I think they look much nicer and will let the light in.
Have a safe journey and we will see you in October.:clap2:
Judy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
maisie21 said:
Hi Lynda
It will be lovely to meet up with you. We will definitely be there then as we should be arriving about the 7th/8th September.
There is still no good news about the repairs on our house. We are getting really fed up about it.
We are also hoping to have new wood framed doors made for our house as well(once the repairs have been completed) I think they look much nicer and will let the light in.
Have a safe journey and we will see you in October.:clap2:
Judy.
Hi judy not long now. How is the weather there ? Lloks like it is still nice. We arrive late on the 10th. Looking forward to catching up. Lynda

101 - 115 of 115 Posts