Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My husband and I are planning to re-locate to Abruzzo next year, hopefully towards the end of April.
We bought our house, as a renovation project, in Ofena in 2007 and had originally planned to move this year. However, our house was damaged in the earthquake and we are still waiting to receive authorisation from the authorities to start the repairs.
Regardless of whether the work has started by April next year we still plan to make the move then even if it means taking a caravan across with us to sleep in.
We have a garden of over 600sq.m which is full of olive trees, vines and fig trees to we will have plenty of work to keep us occupied until we can start on the house again.
If anyone has any constructive advice to offer it would be gratefully welcomed.
Judy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi
My husband and I are planning to re-locate to Abruzzo next year, hopefully towards the end of April.
We bought our house, as a renovation project, in Ofena in 2007 and had originally planned to move this year. However, our house was damaged in the earthquake and we are still waiting to receive authorisation from the authorities to start the repairs.
Regardless of whether the work has started by April next year we still plan to make the move then even if it means taking a caravan across with us to sleep in.
We have a garden of over 600sq.m which is full of olive trees, vines and fig trees to we will have plenty of work to keep us occupied until we can start on the house again.
Judy
go for it you only live once we did and we have not looked back we have had bad times and good times but dont regret any thing . Perhaps by moving over it might just move things on .I am helping an english man renovate his house in Capistrano perhaps we whill meet some time good luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go for it you only live once we did and we have not looked back we have had bad times and good times but dont regret any thing . Perhaps by moving over it might just move things on .I am helping an english man renovate his house in Capistrano perhaps we whill meet some time good luck
Hi Pleased to hear that you have no regrets.
We have heard from one of our Architects and she is hoping to have some more information for us this week.
It would be great if we could meet up some time,where do you live?
Judy

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi
Judy
Judy, you are back !!!! good work. I missed the thread. I see Barry has done something too. Something about an Ofena group??? all sounds good.

Still planning to be in Ofena end Oct ?Nov looking forward to it.
Are you there soon too?

Haven't heard from Gianni in a while. Hope he got his project started. My eldest daughter plans to marry here in Aus at home in the garden, I've been gardening madly. She is having a sunflower theme. Hope everyone finds your new thread,
I miss the news and info.

I am trying to get some stairs built to my garden soon, but the metal man wanted to build something sensible but soulless. I need to find a nice metal plate, galvanized maybe, that doesn't look too industrial, that will cope with the weather snow etc, not rust. Otherwise I might give up and price wood.

Any ideas for something suitable for a metre wide balcony, with stairs a small landing and another three steps. Not a yucky boxy grill. Flat plate with holes maybe ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
navelli

Judy, you are back !!!! good work. I missed the thread. I see Barry has done something too. Something about an Ofena group??? all sounds good.

Are you there soon too?

Haven't heard from Gianni in a while. Hope he got his project started. My eldest daughter plans to marry here in Aus at home in the garden, I've been gardening madly. She is having a sunflower theme. Hope everyone finds your new thread,

I am trying to get some stairs built to my garden soon, but the metal man wanted to build something sensible but soulless. I need to find a nice metal plate, galvanized maybe, that doesn't look too industrial, that will cope with the weather snow etc, not rust. Otherwise I might give up and price wood.

Any ideas for something suitable for a metre wide balcony, with stairs a small landing and another three steps. Not a yucky boxy grill. Flat plate with holes maybe ?
read in the paper the other day that several families that returned to property that had been declared uninhabitable were evicted the other day.. by the carbineri... so be careful about staying in a place if its been declared structurally unsound after the quake... i believe these people have also been fined as well..

seismic activity in the province of L'Aquila is still common, the area around rieti has seen panic evacuations once more as their strength grows and people are understandably nervous that lived through the last one... centre of L'Aquila has once more been closed to the public

·
Registered
3 Posts
going to Alghero in Sardinia

I agree with PUD2, you only live once. My husband and I are planning to visit Alghero in Sardinia this Christmas. We are planning to rent a furnished place for a week or so. Does anyone have any advice on markets being open during the holiday, and anything else we need to prepare for? We are flying in from the US.
Our first visit to Italy together. I know a few words only.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are near retirement age in great health.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Judy
I haven't been on the site for ages but it was good to see your name amongst the posts. Sorry to hear you still haven't been able to do anything to your house but it sounds as though you are still determined to make the move when you retire. Good luck with everything.
We have since bought a little place high in the mountains north of Lucca in the Garfagnana area, due to sign the final bits and bobs in November - all very exciting. We would still love to make a visit to Abruzzo so maybe one day will manage to see Ofena and the surrounding area.
All the best
Jan

·
Registered
398 Posts

Are you there soon too?

Ron Celli from Florida is planning on being in Carrufo for november to make sure his father's house is repaired correctly if you need someone new to talk to.
Gianni's project was approved but haven't heard if they released any money yet.
There are some tentative plans for a bunch of Ofenese, Carrufese and Villa's from Canada and the US to have a picnic in the villages in 2011 instead of in Vancouver.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ron Celli from Florida is planning on being in Carrufo for november to make sure his father's house is repaired correctly if you need someone new to talk to.
Gianni's project was approved but haven't heard if they released any money yet.
There are some tentative plans for a bunch of Ofenese, Carrufese and Villa's from Canada and the US to have a picnic in the villages in 2011 instead of in Vancouver.
Hi Barry, I finally booked our tickets. we will be in Ofena 24th Oct to 3rd Nov
Happy to meet new people. Rod's sister and her husband are coming to stay with us should be fun.

Rod can't wait to get back to Ofena.... He is trying to get a job back in Dubai... that much closer ! I won't be back until it warms up . Trying to get to the Chelsea flower show 2011. So May/June

·
Registered
398 Posts
I thought you didn't have heat in the house? Will be a bit on the cool side by the end of October.
I can't get away from work this fall so it dosen't look like we can come this year. If things change I will try and fly out for a week or 2 on my own.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought you didn't have heat in the house? Will be a bit on the cool side by the end of October.
I can't get away from work this fall so it dosen't look like we can come this year. If things change I will try and fly out for a week or 2 on my own.

hmmm not my call on the timing. i would have made it beginning sept. donna and steve have booked a 6 week european junket doing visit with us last unfortunately. last year we had three awesome weeks so fingers crossed. we have two gas and one kero heater, lots of doonas . hope the rain keeps away. if it's two depressing we will go somewhere for a while. olive picking time isn't it?

hope you get a chance to come out. tried to talk Pam into coming while we are there. will be doing plenty of eating and drinking..We downed a few Gianni 2009's when we there last . looking forward to Gianni 2010.

we are hoping Rod gets the job in dubai.... roll on renovtions yeah....

italy calling you.......come visit !

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi
Judy
Hope all goes well with you, just check with local commune or civil defense if parking near to your damaged house, however, worth a risk as you can drive back to uk, but I am sure if you are told to leave a neighbour may let you park on their land, I say this as someone could take it into their head to be spiteful, so make friends with the locals.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hope all goes well with you, just check with local commune or civil defense if parking near to your damaged house, however, worth a risk as you can drive back to uk, but I am sure if you are told to leave a neighbour may let you park on their land, I say this as someone could take it into their head to be spiteful, so make friends with the locals.
good advice.. very often people are unaware of rules here and do things not thinking that they might be either breaking rules or upsetting someone....
often you will find neighbors that get you into trouble because they cannot communicate to you that you are doing something wrong in their opinion so they report you

the comune should always be your first port of call if not sure and it really is worth while understanding the system here in that sense, there is an almost limitless amount of rules regarding everything that you do here but if cleared by the comune then they are the powers that protect you from over concerned neighbors

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Are you there soon too?

Hi Lynda
Good to hear from you again.
We are not going out to Ofena until March next year, we are not allowed to stay at the house and although there is plenty of work to do in the garden as soon as we leave it just returns to its Jungle state again.
We have had some good news today from our Architect. The Comune have now agreed to let us go ahead, independantly of our neighbours ,with the repairs to the property. The architect has up until December 31st to re submit the new plans and then we have to wait for the Comune to give us permission to start the work.
We will now be moving in October next year, rather than April, although we are still prepared to take a caravan across if we have to. We are also now considering taking my car across because we will not be allowed to buy a car in Italy until we have been granted residency, so it would prove very expensive if we had to rent a car for several months.
Hope tha wedding went well and that you have a good time in Italy.
Judy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
read in the paper the other day that several families that returned to property that had been declared uninhabitable were evicted the other day.. by the carbineri... so be careful about staying in a place if its been declared structurally unsound after the quake... i believe these people have also been fined as well..

seismic activity in the province of L'Aquila is still common, the area around rieti has seen panic evacuations once more as their strength grows and people are understandably nervous that lived through the last one... centre of L'Aquila has once more been closed to the public
Hi
We are not going to try and stay in the house, we will probably stay in a B&B the next time that we visit.
I don't fancy having to deal with the authorities, especially as my knowledge of the Italian language would not cope with it.
Judy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Judy
I haven't been on the site for ages but it was good to see your name amongst the posts. Sorry to hear you still haven't been able to do anything to your house but it sounds as though you are still determined to make the move when you retire. Good luck with everything.
We have since bought a little place high in the mountains north of Lucca in the Garfagnana area, due to sign the final bits and bobs in November - all very exciting. We would still love to make a visit to Abruzzo so maybe one day will manage to see Ofena and the surrounding area.
All the best
Jan
Hi Jan
Congratulations on thepurchase of your new house.
Are you planning to live there permanently?
We have had some good news about our house, although it is still slow going, we are trying to be patient.
We have now delayed our move from April to October and will definitely go then regardless of the state of the house.
It will certainly be a challenge.
Good luck in November.
Judy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi
We have already had permission to park a caravan, if we need to, from the Comune. As for the neighbours we have already made friend with the ones that live by our house and had coffee with them. Everytime that we visit they ask us when we are going there for good. They are lovely people always try to help us if we need it.
Judy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
re residency... you do not actually have to be living in your house to do the residency, just the comune.. if you do have permission for a caravan you can be resident at the address of the caravan.. if not you can stay at any other address in the comune and claim residency on that.. make sure its in the comune your house is in as it simplifies matters.. that way you will be at least able to buy a car...

new legislation re keeping non italian registered vehicles here, not changing driving licences in the sense that its a recognition of your licence in italy which then means you have to follow the national rules re renewals etc... have all been tightened up and you see police and carbineri stopping vehicles much more often these days after the new road traffic laws.. which also include more severe drink driving penalties and restrictions on young people driving..

the vehicle laws regarding non italian vehicles are aimed mainly at people from eastern europe driving vehicles here ... but any foreign plated car is at risk.. and if you are staying here for any long period its still the case that you have to register your presence in the comune.. with the police...

its a sort of funny rule that most people seem to ignore.. but many of you will have noticed that if you stay at an Italian owned accommodation facility they take your passport.. this is then registered with the local carbineri so that records of all movements within Italy are maintained... its from the era of the internal terrorist problems of the past and maintained still... and applies to everyone that visits or stays in Italy

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re residency... you do not actually have to be living in your house to do the residency, just the comune.. if you do have permission for a caravan you can be resident at the address of the caravan.. if not you can stay at any other address in the comune and claim residency on that.. make sure its in the comune your house is in as it simplifies matters.. that way you will be at least able to buy a car...

new legislation re keeping non italian registered vehicles here, not changing driving licences in the sense that its a recognition of your licence in italy which then means you have to follow the national rules re renewals etc... have all been tightened up and you see police and carbineri stopping vehicles much more often these days after the new road traffic laws.. which also include more severe drink driving penalties and restrictions on young people driving..

the vehicle laws regarding non italian vehicles are aimed mainly at people from eastern europe driving vehicles here ... but any foreign plated car is at risk.. and if you are staying here for any long period its still the case that you have to register your presence in the comune.. with the police...

its a sort of funny rule that most people seem to ignore.. but many of you will have noticed that if you stay at an Italian owned accommodation facility they take your passport.. this is then registered with the local carbineri so that records of all movements within Italy are maintained... its from the era of the internal terrorist problems of the past and maintained still... and applies to everyone that visits or stays in Italy
Hi
We have witnessed motorists being stopped numerous times when we have been over in Italy which is why I always keep the necessary documents with me at all times. As I don't drink alcohol, that is not an issue for me which means that my husband always has his taxi home.
I can understand why they take all of these precautions and it is something that I readily support.
Judy.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts