Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is a UK/American citizen. His parents were both UK citizens. He was born in the US, returned to the UK as a child where he stayed a few years and then back to the US, where he has lived ever since. I am a US citizen (with very strong British roots.)
We would like to retire back to England.
This is still a few years off for us, but the rules seem to be ever changing. Last I checked I would need a UK spouse visa and could eventually apply for citizenship.
Do we need to prove financial viability?
I assume that there will be no problem in purchasing property, but will it have to be just in my husband's name?
I have a lot of questions, but I will start here.
Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
There are no retirement visas so you will have to meet the same requirements as any spouse. You will need a spouse visa and there is a financial requirement. If your husband does not intend on working then between the 2 of you, you'll need savings of £62,500 which has been sitting in a readily accessible account untouched for at least 6 months. There are other options for meeting the financial requirement which you can read about here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

He'll also have to have accommodation arranged and you'll have to prove that you have a genuine relationship which shouldn't be an issue if you are married and have been living together for some time.

Under the current rules you would apply for a spouse visa which is good for 2.5 years after which you basically renew it for another 2.5 years but you will have to meet the same financial and other requirements as you did for the 1st visa. You are eligible for indefinite leave to remain after residing in the UK for 5 years on spouse visas and taking and passing the Life in the UK test. I believe if you are over 65 at the time you are exempt from taking the Life in the UK test. After you have ILR you can apply for citizenship.

You can buy property however you may have difficulty getting a mortgage until you attain ILR.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info.
Would my husband be eligible for a mortgage on his own since he is the one with citizenship?
We would also be moving with two dogs and a macaw. Any sticking points there?

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Yes, he could apply for a mortgage on his own, but do keep in mind the older you get the shorter the mortgage term banks will be willing to give you.

Dogs shouldn't be an issue although there are a couple of breeds that are banned but I don't know about the bird.

More info on bringing animals into the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So far so good.
The only thing we have that indicates my husband is a UK citizen is his British passport. Do we need anything else?
We are thinking of making the final departure by ship as we do not like to fly dogs. Any heads up with customs at arrival that we should know about?
Thanks again. You have been a big help.

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
You mean returning to UK on his own? Nothing, as he has the right of abode, i.e. the absolute right to live, work and retire in UK. Of course common sense suggests he should have some funds at his disposal, but nobody will check up on it.

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
So the 62,500 pounds referred to in the previous response really has nothing to do with my husband, but is a requirement for me as a non citizen?
No. It's your husband's responsibility to meet the financial requirement. However, if you are going the cash savings route, the savings of both spouses can be taken onto account.

You really should take the time to read through the link I provided above so you fully understand what options are available to you for meeting the financial requirement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.