Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Mother is looking to retire or maybe work part-time in Valencia in the next 6 months.

I know that the property prices, in general, are down in Spain but not in the City center of Valencia. I think that she would be looking to live near the beach or in the center if possible.

I would like help on the following things:

• Property prices
  • is Rusafa a good place for someone to retire
  • any tips on a good real estate agent (my Mother speaks fluent spanish so they don't need to speak English)
  • property tax
  • coucil tax (if it exists and how much it is)
  • general cost of living information, compared to London
  • tips on things to avoid and things to look into as well.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Hi,
Can't give you much information except that there is property tax called IBI (impuesto sobre bienes inmuebles) but the cost depends on where you live etc.
As for things to look out for, the same things as when you make a move anywhere. People have warned several times against using British workmen to do alterations, installing tv arials etc. You might want to look at threads about that...
Good luck.
I'm sure others will have more useful nuggets of wisdom to pass on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those bits of info. I have lived in Valencia in the winter and understand that it does get a little colder than people think.

What about property prices in Valencia, have they gone down at all?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Property Prices - Valencia

Thanks for those bits of info. I have lived in Valencia in the winter and understand that it does get a little colder than people think.

What about property prices in Valencia, have they gone down at all?
A certain property expert on Valencia, whose name I will not mention for fear of being ticked off/accused of payola again, has just "called the bottom of the market" for Madrid & Barcelona, as well as Vlc.

Anybody agree with this?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
If you're buying with sterling, I think the pound/Euro thing needs to be watched as well as the asking prices of properties

Jo xxx

·
Registered
681 Posts
City centre and beachside,mucho dinero just for a basic flat.
Detached weekend homes about 20km plus inland, with more than adequate shops and services close by are much better value in IMHO.

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Graham Hunt who comes on here regularly is your man. I was in Montserrat this week and was impressed with that town. I had not been there for 18/20 years and it had definitely *moved on*

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Graham Hunt who comes on here regularly is your man. I was in Montserrat this week and was impressed with that town. I had not been there for 18/20 years and it had definitely *moved on*

Alot of estate agents tend to be saying that the market has bottomed out

Jo xxxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
The agents can say what they like. It's the people who are selling (or not!) whose opinions I usually value. I can't say there are more than a dozen or so agents in the whole of expatshire who I would trust. As far as the Costa Blanca is concerned the prices are still dropping. All very worrying.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The agents can say what they like. It's the people who are selling (or not!) whose opinions I usually value. I can't say there are more than a dozen or so agents in the whole of expatshire who I would trust. As far as the Costa Blanca is concerned the prices are still dropping. All very worrying.
Read post 5 on here LOL!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
427 Posts
Spill de beanz

Steve, I'm only going to get one shot at buying a place in Vlc city. If it goes right, I can hack the rest - broadly covered by making a living and settling in. But if it goes wrong, that's me done for.

So are you in a position/willing to say who these trustworthy operators are? Three or four would be a fair spread, to avoid accusations of payola and give them all a fighting chance.

I was ticked of by a mod for mentioning GH repeatedly and told that he was not the only fish in this particular sea. I was even told of the brother of a best friend's husband - or somesuch - who had been an agent of repute and probity for Vlc for 20 years now. My query for details has dribbled into the sand, it seems.

Word from our man is that, although he has called the bottom of the market, there will be little by way of price increases for city properties for a year or so.

If my experience in London is a sound model, this should be correct. The dynamics are the same. Flats in the blocks where I'd sold one could be had for about what I sold for, for about 2 1/2 - 3 years [recession of 89-93]. Once the market actually turned upward, the prices rocketed insanely.

My plan is to sell my UK house in the spring. I'd like to get sorted by around this time next year.

So, who's who?
So how about it?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Steve, I'm only going to get one shot at buying a place in Vlc city. If it goes right, I can hack the rest - broadly covered by making a living and settling in. But if it goes wrong, that's me done for.

So are you in a position/willing to say who these trustworthy operators are? Three or four would be a fair spread, to avoid accusations of payola and give them all a fighting chance.

I was ticked of by a mod for mentioning GH repeatedly and told that he was not the only fish in this particular sea. I was even told of the brother of a best friend's husband - or somesuch - who had been an agent of repute and probity for Vlc for 20 years now. My query for details has dribbled into the sand, it seems.

Word from our man is that, although he has called the bottom of the market, there will be little by way of price increases for city properties for a year or so.

If my experience in London is a sound model, this should be correct. The dynamics are the same. Flats in the blocks where I'd sold one could be had for about what I sold for, for about 2 1/2 - 3 years [recession of 89-93]. Once the market actually turned upward, the prices rocketed insanely.

My plan is to sell my UK house in the spring. I'd like to get sorted by around this time next year.

So, who's who?
So how about it?
Sorry I havent got back to you about my friends sister, TBH, I think we discussed it at the time when we were having domestic issues and I think the last thing we wanted to talk about was people buying property in Spain. However, Steve is a friend of Graham Hunts, and eventho Steve reckons that property is still falling in Spain (and I tend to agree with him ), the agents think its bottomed out and that now is the time to buy!! (vested interest or fact????)? Who knows who's right - Steve or the estate agents?????? . However, more importantly, if the pound picks up early next year, that will effect dramatically what you will pay, whether they drop in spain or not!!!

But you need to get in touch with all the agents in the area, if only cos you'll find that unlike the UK, agents in Spain have different comission levels and different ways of funding that - some agents load their comission on to the asking price, some do 50/50 and some simply deduct it from a lower asking price and of course, each one may charge a different ammount. So you very often will see the same property on with several different agents and several different prices!!! Hense, I wouldnt begin to liken house buying/selling to anything seen in the UK or London - both systems are poles apart

My point is that its always worth looking round and taking nothing at face value!!

As for poor old Graham hunt, well I dunno where he stands on any of this, he's an agent, I'm sure he's a nice chap and if you like him and trust him, then thats half the battle isnt it!!!! Just look around

Jo

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ah! JoJo! 'Twas you, was it? Hope the domestics are back in the sunlit uplands of married life/plumbing/teenage angst/w.h.y.

Although the processes may be poles apart in the buying and selling, the basic dynamics of any city's property market will be the same. And the reason why inner city prices do move in such similar ways is simply that supply is infinitely more restricted in an inner city. The existing stock is pretty much all there is to play with, excluding pulling something down and sticking up something new, as they are about to do with La Mestalla.

You can't just free up another few orange groves [Valencia] or brown-field sites [London/Leeds/Bristol etc] and bung up another 200 houses here and another urbanizasion there.

So I'm very much aware that as soon as the graph turns upward, it will be very steep and go like smoke, in Valencia as anywhere.

No need for sympathy for 'poor old GH'. He's just had a manic 3 weeks with punters from Spain, UK and even eastern Europe - and closed deals. This is either dead-cat bounce or the beginning of the end of the end. I've got my beady minces swinging in all directions.

And look forward to anybody's suggestions for contacts they would trust with their last-chance-saloon capital.

Bring 'em on

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
You also need to remember that the prices in Spain shot up artificially a few years ago because estate agents were charging up to 25% comission on properties and were laughing all the way to the bank - even now some are still trying to charge 5 - 10%, then you have to add another 10% on for the lawyers etc. Cos again unlike the UK, they dont charge a flat rate for cvonveyancing, they take a percentage - So no way can I see any resemblance to prices in UK. If they're rising there it could be due to the poor pound, the ensuing inflation, very limited supply - but at least there, house buying/selling is regulated!

The only slight similarity is that when property prices rise in the UK, it tends to encourage folk to look to buying abroad - in Spain!?? Yes, there are alot of other foriegn buyers over here, but they're not dealing in pounds and I dont believe they're contributing to any kind of rise in spain, afterall most of them are looking for villas and investments. And mortgages are extreemly difficult to obtain in spain, almost impossible if you're a foriegner and that affects everything

I see the market in spain falling more yet, if only cos the Spanish actually want it to be lower so that their kids can afford to buy, some even blame the Brits for artificially raising it in the past!!??

All that said, I'm a firm believer in if you want something, can afford it, then why wait - go for it!! Property should be seen as a home, not an investment!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
427 Posts
"All that said, I'm a firm believer in if you want something, can afford it, then why wait - go for it!!"

Exactly! I agree entirely! And I intend to.

But, in another thread, when I quoted GH saying precisely that, I got "but he's an agent - he would say that!" shot back at me!

Maybe it was "stick it to GH" week.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
"All that said, I'm a firm believer in if you want something, can afford it, then why wait - go for it!!"

Exactly! I agree entirely! And I intend to.

But, in another thread, when I quoted GH saying precisely that, I got "but he's an agent - he would say that!" shot back at me!

Maybe it was "stick it to GH" week.
No, it was "he is not the only estate agent in Valencia" week!!!!, See what the others have to offer and stop advertising him LOL!! Home or investment, its always worth looking around to make sure you have the best deal!! Heck, thats all I'm trying to say LOL!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, it was "he is not the only estate agent in Valencia" week!!!!, See what the others have to offer and stop advertising him LOL!! Home or investment, its always worth looking around to make sure you have the best deal!! Heck, thats all I'm trying to say LOL!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Jo xxx
But JoJo, not for want of asking, but not single suggestion has come down pointing me towards any other agents!

Not from you, not Steve Hall [though I only asked him this afternoon]. Nobody. Nothing. They are out there. You even know one personally. Others must. Every owner bought from somebody, no?

And the point was that it was not "the only agent ...." thing but that he had said, as you just did, "I'm a firm believer in if you want something, can afford it, then why wait - go for it!!" and got the Mandy Rice-Davis retort! So that's you me 'n him - all agreeing!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - bring 'em on. The more the merrier.

Your time starts ..................... now!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
google "estate agents in Valencia" there are loads! I promise I'll try and get my friends website for you and post it on here, but again, she's simply one of loads. In the meantime have a good look at what they have to offer. I dont think we have any people on the forum who live in Valencia who can recommend. Steve Hall, I believe only knows these people socially or as advertisers??????

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.