Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My mother is looking to retire in France. She has an English passport and speaks French fluently.

I am not 100% sure if she is wanting to fully retire or if she wants to look for some part-time work as well.

The areas she is looking at are Marseille, Toulouse, Toulon and a few other places as well.

She would be buying a property outright and I am just looking for information about the following things:

• Property tax
  • health insurance (European Health Card)
  • likely jobs
  • public transport
  • What types of things are problems when moving
  • what happens with the English state pension if she moves

Thank you for your help.

Nick

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
Property tax -
There are two kinds of "property tax" in France - taxe d'habitation and taxe foncier. One is levied on the owner of the property, the other on the occupant. If you live in a house you own, you pay both. She should ask about the two taxes when she is looking at property to buy, as local rates vary greatly from town to town and the taxes are based on a calculated "rental value" which has more to do with the size of the home than on the market value.

health insurance -
She'll be entitled to the French coverage when she reaches retirement age, assuming she has been covered in recent years in her home country. (You say she has a British passport - but is she resident in the UK?) French health coverage is not 100%, and most people purchase a "top up" coverage called a "mutuelle."

likely jobs -
Jobs are very difficult to find for those over age 50 or so. It will also depend on what sort of training or experience she has. If she does manage to land a job, she'll pay about 20% of her salary in "cotisations" (i.e. social insurances).

public transport -
Depends where she winds up. Check the websites for the towns she is considering. Most town websites include links to the transit authority, if there is one, which will give her an idea what areas are served.

What types of things are problems when moving -
As the old saying goes, "your mileage may vary." It can depend on many, many factors.

what happens with the English state pension if she moves
She still gets her pension, but the tax status of it may depend on what sort of pension it is. If the pension is paid in Sterling, she'll have to consider exchange rate fluctuations when doing her planning.

Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all those tips. As is obvious, there is a lot more that needs to be looked into as the place (and even country) is still up in the air.

You have given me a few more things to research and if anything else comes to mind please let me know.

By the way, she is a UK resident.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.