Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Xabiachica asked me to update our retirement visa process...We Got It!!

We thought we'd be ready to turn in our paperwork in December...we finally turned it all in the last of February.

I'm happy to report it only took 2 months for the approval. Even the consulate staff said it'd be 3-5 months. (I think Spain needs our Very Small income.)

Here's what happened...

The consulate notified us by email that visas are approved.

We went back to the consulate and dropped off
1) our passports
2) our date of travel so they could date the visa (copy of a air reservation?)

They emailed us again when when passports were ready to pick up. They'll gave us an official letter in Spanish along with it. We were Really Happy to discover when we got home that part of all the tons of paperwork we did for the consulate was actually for our NIE (non-EU national identity number) which is what the letter contained.

Another major hurdle passed.

The visa is dated. We have 30 days to pass through Spanish customs/immigration and have our passports stamped. Then, get a physical address (a signed lease) and register at the city hall.

Another registration is the empadronamiento. Since I'm not real clear on that yet, it'll have to wait for the next update. A bank account is needed too.

So we're off on a 3 wk trip beginning 5/28.

The big adventure heats up again...

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
Hi everyone.

Xabiachica asked me to update our retirement visa process...We Got It!!

We thought we'd be ready to turn in our paperwork in December...we finally turned it all in the last of February.

I'm happy to report it only took 2 months for the approval. Even the consulate staff said it'd be 3-5 months. (I think Spain needs our Very Small income.)

Here's what happened...

The consulate notified us by email that visas are approved.

We went back to the consulate and dropped off
1) our passports
2) our date of travel so they could date the visa (copy of a air reservation?)

They emailed us again when when passports were ready to pick up. They'll gave us an official letter in Spanish along with it. We were Really Happy to discover when we got home that part of all the tons of paperwork we did for the consulate was actually for our NIE (non-EU national identity number) which is what the letter contained.

Another major hurdle passed.

The visa is dated. We have 30 days to pass through Spanish customs/immigration and have our passports stamped. Then, get a physical address (a signed lease) and register at the city hall.

Another registration is the empadronamiento. Since I'm not real clear on that yet, it'll have to wait for the next update. A bank account is needed too.

So we're off on a 3 wk trip beginning 5/28.

The big adventure heats up again...
thanks so much for the update

I think the BIG QUESTION is just how 'small' is the income they required, if you don't mind telling us?

Spain is now saying that even EU citizens have to prove income to be resident here, but they haven't yet specified exactly how much :confused2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much for the update

I think the BIG QUESTION is just how 'small' is the income they required, if you don't mind telling us?

Spain is now saying that even EU citizens have to prove income to be resident here, but they haven't yet specified exactly how much :confused2:
I believe it was $1,700US p/mo minimum for 2 people. But anyone needs to research that to be sure. I'm sure it can/does/is changing nowadays.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
I believe it was $1,700US p/mo minimum for 2 people. But anyone needs to research that to be sure. I'm sure it can/does/is changing nowadays.
thanks so much :)

so at today's rate that's about 1,335€ per month for a couple

& yes, it's probably changing daily - & different Spanish consulates are giving different information :(

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
thanks so much :)

so at today's rate that's about 1,335€ per month for a couple

& yes, it's probably changing daily - & different Spanish consulates are giving different information :(
Which is a reasonable amount, don't you think?

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
Which is a reasonable amount, don't you think?
yes I do - not enough for the high life - but reasonable - & presumably private healthcare has to be paid out of that??? or maybe that's after healthcare ??

& actually more than we are led to believe 'they' are asking for EU citizens now - 430something € a month per person?

though that hasn't been confirmed

·
Registered
320 Posts
thiswildride, how did you handle the proof of lease issue? It seems totally bizarre to have to prove that you have a place to live BEFORE you find out the date you will be able to move there and if you will even be able to live there at all.

Also, I have heard that after you are approved, you need to arrive in Spain within 90 days. Do you know if that is 90 days after you have found out you have been approved, or 90 days after you pick up the visa?

Congratulations!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thiswildride, how did you handle the proof of lease issue? It seems totally bizarre to have to prove that you have a place to live BEFORE you find out the date you will be able to move there and if you will even be able to live there at all.

Also, I have heard that after you are approved, you need to arrive in Spain within 90 days. Do you know if that is 90 days after you have found out you have been approved, or 90 days after you pick up the visa?

Congratulations!
Thank you. :D

We were lucky. We know a Spaniard here in LA who's brother is still in Spain. He agreed to sign a lease doc saying we were renting from him. As part of the visa approval they send your 'address' and FBI report to the local PD who also must approve. Once that's done you can end up anywhere as long as you register with the new city hall. Once you've physically registered, they may (not sure yet) do an actual home check.

The consulate asked for our travel date (at least LA's did) and dated our visa from that date. We have *30 days* to get our visa stamped and register with our new town. So that's 30 days from the date you tell them you're moving.

We have reservations for 5/28 so the clock starts ticking then.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
320 Posts
"The consulate asked for our travel date"

Did you give them your travel date when you submitted all the paper work a few months ago? Or more recently?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"The consulate asked for our travel date"

Did you give them your travel date when you submitted all the paper work a few months ago? Or more recently?

Sorry for all the questions!
More recently. It was after we knew we'd been approved and when we took our original passports in and left them so they could 'implant' the visa in our passports.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Just over a grand a month English, not bad at all. You won't go out fine dining every night on that but you should be OK.

Enjoy yourself :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
We average 4,591.52 EUR per month income. Will we be able to afford a decent lifestyle in the area around Cádiz, Spain?
Do not know about Cadiz, here in the Canaries, 2 of us, running two properties 800 to 1000 is plenty. Having said that we do not have heating bills mortgage or rentals and fuel for the car, booze and eating out, is not included.

·
Registered
331 Posts
wow, this is encouraging! congrats on getting a retirement Visa, you give me hope. and yes, I have heard/read different things on the amount of income needed. I believe my posts from last year(?) are (or were...haven't looked recently) in a sticky in this forum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We average 4,591.52 EUR per month income. Will we be able to afford a decent lifestyle in the area around Cádiz, Spain?
I have looked at places to rent in Malaga and found many nice-looking places (from the internet photos and amenities listed) for 1,000 euros/month. so, I would think for the figure you list, you could live quite comfortably.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OH THIS IS ENCOURAGING!!! I know this post was a few months ago, but why the Cadiz area, that is the same area my husband and I are looking at? Congratulations, I guess by now you are there. Do you have any updates on what has happened since your arrival?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully you are enjoying your time in beautiful spain I know its been a long time but we are also living in Los angeles and don't know how to apply for police record check I'd really appreciate if you could tell us any website on how to apply for police record and how long does it take to get the police criminal record clearence?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is from the Spanish Consulate website.

7. Certification of “absence of police records”, for 18 year-old applicants and older. Original translated into Spanish and one copy will be needed. This certificate can not be older than three months from the issue date.

The certification of "absence of police records" should be certified by the police authorities of all places where the applicant has resided during the past five years.

- In the U.S.,this certificate must be issued by the FBI – Criminal Record History or FBI Identification Report -, It should be verified with a fingerprint card. Process to follow:
Contact the FBI: (304) 625 3878 o by mail to: Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Correspondence unit. 1000 Custer Hollow Road. Clarksburg, WV 26306. FBI — Criminal Background Check

This certificate must be stamped with the "Apostille of The Hague" . Contact the Secretary of State in the State the document has been issued. Authentications (Apostille or Certification) - Notary Public - California Secretary of State

Consulate website: Consulado de España en Los Angeles

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Holy crow. Considering the vast majority of Spaniards earn 1/4 of that a month if they're working, you're golden.

We earn much less but live quite comfortably up north where things tend to be a bit more expensive.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts