Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

We are moving to France in the next 6 months - builder permitting :)

I am slighly confused by current health care access for retired persons. According to the news you cannot retire to France and automatically gain access to the healthcare system.

My wife is covered as she gets a state pension.

I will be 62 and in receipt of a private pension, living in our own property, intending to register for voting etc. I will have paid into the UK national insurance scheme for 30 years. I will also get a state pension at age 65.

Any ideas on when I could get access to the French Health System?

Any thoughts helpful for budgeting.

Regards

Nick

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Hi gang,

We are moving to France in the next 6 months - builder permitting :)

I am slighly confused by current health care access for retired persons. According to the news you cannot retire to France and automatically gain access to the healthcare system.

My wife is covered as she gets a state pension.

I will be 62 and in receipt of a private pension, living in our own property, intending to register for voting etc. I will have paid into the UK national insurance scheme for 30 years. I will also get a state pension at age 65.

Any ideas on when I could get access to the French Health System?

Any thoughts helpful for budgeting.

Regards

Nick
If your wife is receiving a UK state pension she can apply to Newcastle (DWP) for a form S1. She will need to provide an address in France and the date of moving before the S1 is issued. You can be on the S1 as a dependant - I don't know if there is an age limit on that but DWP are very helpful and will tell you.

Then you submit the S1 to the CPAM in your French town and they will issue you Social Security numbers and Carte Vitale. In addition you should investigate a top up (mutuelle) insurance to cover the (approx) 30% that the French system doesn't reimburse. I can recommend a company in Bordeaux (ARCC) and suggest you talk with Catherine Lewis about this.

The system in France is that you pay for treatment at the point of service and then are reimbursed directly to your bank account by CPAM - they also handle the claims to your mutuelle. I've found that the system works really well and the actual medical care is first class.

Sante

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Retired - Access to healthcare

Thanks David,
Will have a chat to the DWP.

Have had a top up quote and was pleasantly surprised at the price compared to Private Health Care here in the UK.

Regards

Nick

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks David,
Will have a chat to the DWP.

Have had a top up quote and was pleasantly surprised at the price compared to Private Health Care here in the UK.

Regards

Nick
should be at least 70% cheaper as UK health insurance normally covers 100% private , not just 30% !

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
should be at least 70% cheaper as UK health insurance normally covers 100% private , not just 30% !
Not necessarily - the top-up insurance can cover various levels of reimbursement to allow for costs not covered by the secu (for example) or charges levied outside the secu stated tariffs.

Our top-up, for example, covers hospital charges up to 300% of secu tariffs

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.