Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Resignation query

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bilbafta 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have gotten an offer letter from a MNC in UAE which I have accepted. My documents are attested and with them for visa processing.
The HR manager there, wants me to resign as I have a 30 day notice period.
Should I resign before getting visa in hand?
Can anyone share any similar experience ??

#2 · (Edited)
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Yours is a common (and diffilcult) question.
The reasons it is difficult are as follows:-
Many people have received job offers, resigned their current position - then job offer disappears!
If you wait for visa, before you resign (my preferences) - once a visa is issued - you must enter before a certain date - it might even be 30 days from issue (I can't quite remember - maybe another member who has arrived recently will confirm this).
So in your position - if you need to give 30 days notice and you needed to enter on new visa before 30 days - you would be stuck.
If someone confirms the above - then your safest option would be to negotiate a slightly shorter notice period, in order to arrive on the new visa - before it expires.
Cheers
Steve

#4 ·
Hi,
The size of the company has little to do with the potential to mess you about.
Contracts get cancelled and budgets get cut at very short notice in this region.
This means that even large companies adjust their headcount on a regular basis and if you are being hired with a particular project in mind - things can change quickly.
This year seems worse than most - possibly related to the oil price reduction and volatility.
Best of luck
Steve

#7 ·
just to re-confirm: your entry visa will be valid for 60 days from the day it is issued. If the company is big/good etc., it should take about 5 days for them to get this entry visa.
Things get delayed when (a) the "big" company's admin department is taking too many coffee breaks to apply for the visa promptly, (b) they do not have enough wasta or they do not bother enough to ensure your visa application gets priority, (c) your passport and whether the immigration department wants to do some additional checks.

To be 100% certain you should not resign before getting the visa. 30 days here and there will not bring the company down. If they need you so badly, they should get the visa processed quicker.

#8 ·
Thanks a lot guys !!
Have gotten back to them..and they said they'll get the entry permit within 3-4 weeks. Till then, am staying put !
@rsinner, you said it can be gotten in 5 days? ... guess the HR in my potential company wants me to either join late or maybe dubai/sharjah/abu dhabi have different policies ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.