Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Residente Permanente vs. Residente Temporal

If I understand this correct for Residente Permanent you must apply at a Mexican Consulate in your home country but for Temporal you can apply in Mexico but it is only valid for 4 years and then you have to return to your home country and reapply there?

If you want to work in Mexico you must apply at the consulate as well? Does this apply if you want to run your own business or do something on line as well?

What is the process if you start with a Temporal and then want to change to a Permanente, do you need to apply back in your home country? Can you still work in Mexico under a temporal?

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Others here who have relatively recently been through what you're considering/asking about, or have some better depth of knowledge than I, will likely chime-in with their remarks. However, if you haven't seen this summary of information which may fill-in some of the 'blanks' in your investigations ... do check it out:

Rollybrook's Living in Mexico

·
Registered
185 Posts
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Residente Permanente vs. Residente Temporal

If I understand this correct for Residente Permanent you must apply at a Mexican Consulate in your home country but for Temporal you can apply in Mexico but it is only valid for 4 years and then you have to return to your home country and reapply there?

If you want to work in Mexico you must apply at the consulate as well? Does this apply if you want to run your own business or do something on line as well?

What is the process if you start with a Temporal and then want to change to a Permanente, do you need to apply back in your home country? Can you still work in Mexico under a temporal?
Why don't you get in touch these these people ?
Consulado General de México en Vancouver

Then you would be getting current information right from the source.

Google translate does a very good job on this site.

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts

. . .
You must initially apply for both RT and RP in your home country at a Mexican Consulate.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You must initially apply for both RT and RT in your home country at a Mexican Consulate.
Typos can drive a person crazy. Residente Temporal (RT) and Residente Permanente (RP). Both must be initially applied for in your home country at a Mexican Consulate.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
IMO, the greatest advantage of getting the Residente Permanente status is that you don't have to go back every year to renew your temporal and pay the fee, which is not only an annoyance but adds up in expense. And, once you have it in hand, you are no longer subject to the whims of whatever new regulations and requirements the legislature may come up with: for instance the increased income they recently added. Those who have had four years of uninterrupted Temporal status don't need to deal with that issue when they apply for Permanente status.

The only downside is the need to have a Mexican plated vehicle. One advantage of those plates is that the local cops lose a lot of interest in you. (chuckle)

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
Typos can drive a person crazy. Residente Temporal (RT) and Residente Permanente (RP). Both must be initially applied for in your home country at a Mexican Consulate.
Thanks for catching this big blooper, joaquin!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
IMO, the greatest advantage of getting the Residente Permanente status is that you don't have to go back every year to renew your temporal and pay the fee, which is not only an annoyance but adds up in expense. And, once you have it in hand, you are no longer subject to the whims of whatever new regulations and requirements the legislature may come up with: for instance the increased income they recently added. Those who have had four years of uninterrupted Temporal status don't need to deal with that issue when they apply for Permanente status.

The only downside is the need to have a Mexican plated vehicle. One advantage of those plates is that the local cops lose a lot of interest in you. (chuckle)
First timers get a 1 year Residente Temporal visa and 30 days before it expires can apply to renew for 1, 2 or 3 years, not every year if they do not want to and save time and money if they get a 3 year RT visa. A 3 year renewal is $6,678 pesos plus a fee of $1124 pesos, processing fee. 1 year is $3,519 pesos plus the $1124 pesos fee.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently went through the residency process. One must comply with special circumstances to even be able to apply "right out the gate" for RP permanent residency; such as being married to a Mexican national or having very personal connections to the country, etc. Most people in the total ****** category like me wouldn't even be eligible for a three year visa until after their one year RT expires. As might be expected there are different categories of foreigner wishing to reside in Mexico and the applicable requirements will vary.

For citizens of the US as previously mentioned, visa applications for residency are approved at either the Mexican embassy in Washington D.C. or at the various consulates sprinkled around the country. I was fortunate enough to have a consulate a few blocks from my house. Your financial affairs must be very solid and extensive documentation will be required. At the time I applied on line requirements mentioned six months of financial records but I provided one year's worth of banking and savings records which they loved. Mexican Consular officials, unlike their American counterparts, are in some aspects authorized to use their own best judgment in making a determination. You'd be wise to at all times be calm and courteous even if things seem to be going against you at the moment. Arrive rested and in a good mood. It could be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Do you need to have a Mexican plated vehicle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently went through the residency process. One must comply with special circumstances to even be able to apply "right out the gate" for RP permanent residency; such as being married to a Mexican national or having very personal connections to the country, etc. Most people in the total ****** category like me wouldn't even be eligible for a three year visa until after their one year RT expires. As might be expected there are different categories of foreigner wishing to reside in Mexico and the applicable requirements will vary.

For citizens of the US as previously mentioned, visa applications for residency are approved at either the Mexican embassy in Washington D.C. or at the various consulates sprinkled around the country. I was fortunate enough to have a consulate a few blocks from my house. Your financial affairs must be very solid and extensive documentation will be required. At the time I applied on line requirements mentioned six months of financial records but I provided one year's worth of banking and savings records which they loved. Mexican Consular officials, unlike their American counterparts, are in some aspects authorized to use their own best judgment in making a determination. You'd be wise to at all times be calm and courteous even if things seem to be going against you at the moment. Arrive rested and in a good mood. It could be the deciding factor.
Ok so we could not even apply for the RP right away?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do not need to have a Mexican plated vehicle but my situation is quite probably very different than yours. I don't have a car. I chose to live in a small town where a car isn't needed. I walk almost everywhere, and occasionally take a bus for 5 pesos or a taxi for 35 pesos which would be about 2.25 in USD. Others on these boards know the drill on cars very well.

As to whether you'd even be allowed to apply for RT right away my guess is no. I obtained a one year visa prior to entering the country. When that expired I hired a lawyer for one thousand pesos to represent me in obtaining the three year visa. Turns out everybody at the immigration office knew her and the woman behind the counter talked about babies. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The cost of the visa was prominently posted on a big sign and I could see that my lawyer had indeed only charged me a thousand pesos which at the time was about 70 bucks. Totally professional.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are the special circumstances in order to apply straight out of the gate for PR?

I have spoken to a consulate in Canada and was told that if we meet the financial requirements we are able to apply, which is our families intent as to avoid having to renew a TR. I have many friends that have received their PR right off the bat.

You either qualify as a retiree or pensioner by meeting the financial requirements or you can apply under the family unity section, which is where having a Mexican national family member would come in to play.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That would be good news for you. Your friends would be knowledgeable about those special conditions which allowed them to qualify for RT and could throw some light on how they accomplished it.

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
That would be good news for you. Your friends would be knowledgeable about those special conditions which allowed them to qualify for RT and could throw some light on how they accomplished it.
Isn't Belizegirl talking about initially applying for Permanent Residence rather than Temporary Residence?

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
Yes that's my understanding Isla Verde. She has many friends who have done so. I imagine that the circumstances were quite unlike my own experience.
Maybe I'm confused, but in your previous post you wrote this:

"Your friends would be knowledgeable about those special conditions which allowed them to qualify for RT . . ."

RT = Residente Temporal, not Residente Permanente.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.