Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm struggling a little bit with the wealth of conflicting information online so thought I'd ask here.

My wife is a Canadian Citizen, born and raised in Vancouver, studied up to university graduation in Canada before moving to London and having the fortune (or not) to meet me. (British Citizen)

We met about 3 and a half years ago, dated, lived together then tied the knot in London during the summer. We've both moved out to Dubai since but a mix of personal and professional issues mean we are considering moving on - with Toronto high on my list of cities to live.

What do we need to do to get me the appropriate status to move to Toronto and look for work? I've seen some websites mentioning spousal sponsorship but as the main income has always been me I'm not sure that would hold up? I'm university educated, 8 years experience in finance etc. Should I just do the points test?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your easiest way to get status in Canada is via a Spousal Sponsorship. Your spouse, a Canadian sitizen is entitled to do this. Your education, income status doesn’t really matter that much.
This will help get the process started. Apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or children
Okay thanks and the whole "must be able to financially support them" piece on sponsorship is just a line to say that I can't arrive and start claiming benefits yeah? (Obviously!)

I assume spousal sponsorship gives me a work permit to apply for full time employment once I'm in Toronto?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking into this. One issue may be that my wife (who will be sponsoring me as the Canadian citizen) has a work contract meaning she'll be out of Canada for 3-4 months at some point next year.

Is that okay or does she have to stay in Canada with me during the process?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Still looking into this. One issue may be that my wife (who will be sponsoring me as the Canadian citizen) has a work contract meaning she'll be out of Canada for 3-4 months at some point next year.

Is that okay or does she have to stay in Canada with me during the process?
If all your papers are in order your wife’s location shouldn’t matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.