Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a Australian PR but didnt travel to Australia for the first 4 years (expect for first entry). I reached Australia recently (month ago) and my visa expires in shortly (say Aug). But I want to travel to India in October. My question is, can I apply for Resident return visa? RR visa has minimum requirement of 2 years stay in Australia which I dont have? But they are also saying substantial ties. Could you guys please advise what this substantial ties mean? What should I provide to prove Substantial ties? Please advise!

Meet our residence or substantial ties requirements
You must:

have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years or
be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Hi All,

I have a Australian PR but didnt travel to Australia for the first 4 years (expect for first entry). I reached Australia recently (month ago) and my visa expires in shortly (say Aug). But I want to travel to India in October. My question is, can I apply for Resident return visa? RR visa has minimum requirement of 2 years stay in Australia which I dont have? But they are also saying substantial ties. Could you guys please advise what this substantial ties mean? What should I provide to prove Substantial ties? Please advise!

You must:

be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia

Thanks in advance!
You can get a 3 month RRV based on your circumstances

Substantial ties would be investment in property, a regular job, your children studying in schools

Cheers

·
Registered
573 Posts
You will not be able to get an RRV unless you are able to explain to the government why you have not fufilled your residency requirements and your intentions of actually living in Australia.

A google will help you but you will need to talk about if you have a business, or a house or an australian partner etc. It's a very open ended question but you will need to prove that you're not just a "visitor" in australia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi All,

You must:

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a job or a business now?? if yes apply for the visa in around may-june and based on the currently timelines you should get one year visa just in time for your travel.

Other personal ties include, parents, spouse or children who are citizens of Australia and lastly if you own a property that could also help your cause :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
NB - quick question please. I've had a PR a long time ago, which i never ended up using, and it lapsed. I've recently lodged my 189 again. Will having a past PR which I never used be detrimental to my current case?

You can get a 3 month RRV based on your circumstances

Substantial ties would be investment in property, a regular job, your children studying in schools

Cheers

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
NB - quick question please. I've had a PR a long time ago, which i never ended up using, and it lapsed. I've recently lodged my 189 again. Will having a past PR which I never used be detrimental to my current case?
Nope

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,
My mother has an Australian PR which is expiring in November. She has stayed in Australia for around a year. Due to personal and family reasons, she didn't stay for long in Australia. Now she has moved to Australia and is living with her son (who's a PR holder himself and would be applying for citizenship this year). She now wants to apply for RR after her PR expires. The issue is when her PR expires, the condition of 2 years stay will not have been fulfilled. What are her options?

Note that she doesnt work in Australia, is 70+ years of age and 2 out of her 3 children have Australian PR. Does the fact that she's financially dependent on her son help her case?

Need advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Hi all,
My mother has an Australian PR which is expiring in November. She has stayed in Australia for around a year. Due to personal and family reasons, she didn't stay for long in Australia. Now she has moved to Australia and is living with her son (who's a PR holder himself and would be applying for citizenship this year). She now wants to apply for RR after her PR expires. The issue is when her PR expires, the condition of 2 years stay will not have been fulfilled. What are her options?

Note that she doesnt work in Australia, is 70+ years of age and 2 out of her 3 children have Australian PR. Does the fact that she's financially dependent on her son help her case?

Need advice and suggestions.
The bigger question is does she really need to travel out of Australia before she completes 2 years of stay ?
If not, then you don’t compulsorily need a RRV to continue to live in Australia
Let her live in Australia and once she completes, 2 years stay out of the last 5, apply for the RRV 155

In the interim if she needs to travel urgently, she can always get a RRV 157 valid for 3 months

cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bigger question is does she really need to travel out of Australia before she completes 2 years of stay ?
Let her live in Australia and once she completes, 2 years stay out of the last 5, apply for the RRV 155

In the interim if she needs to travel urgently, she can always get a RRV 157 valid for 3 months

cheers
Is attending the wedding of one her children a good enough reason to travel outside Australia?

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Is attending the wedding of one her children a good enough reason to travel outside Australia?
I don’t think it should be a problem as long as a 3 month RRV 157 is sufficient to Complete the trip and come back to Australia

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts

cheers
Also, how does the 157 visa work and what exactly will it allow? Like in my mother's case, after her PR expires and she has to travel outside Australia, is it that the 157 will allow her absence from Australia of upto 3 months? And then after that she can stay indefinitely in Australia without having the right to travel outside Australia? I'm a little confused over the 157,,,

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Also, how does the 157 visa work and what exactly will it allow? Like in my mother's case, after her PR expires and she has to travel outside Australia, is it that the 157 will allow her absence from Australia of upto 3 months? And then after that she can stay indefinitely in Australia without having the right to travel outside Australia? I'm a little confused over the 157,,,
155 gives you right to travel and return back to Australia for 5 years
157 gives you the right to travel and return back to Australia within 3 months
There is no difference between the 2 visas except the travel periods

So even if she applies for a RRV 157 and it is granted, then she can stay out of Australia for 3 months and after returning continue to live indefinitely in Australia

She may be eligible to get a 1 year RRV also, if she meets certain criteria

https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/resident-return-visa-rrv-155-157/

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
155 gives you right to travel and return back to Australia for 5 years
157 gives you the right to travel and return back to Australia within 3 months
There is no difference between the 2 visas except the travel periods

So even if she applies for a RRV 157 and it is granted, then she can stay out of Australia for 3 months and after returning continue to live indefinitely in Australia

She may be eligible to get a 1 year RRV also, if she meets certain criteria

https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/resident-return-visa-rrv-155-157/

Cheers
Thanks for your help, really appreciated.
The link you shared says that you can prove personal ties if you have children living in Australia that are citizens or PR holders. So you're right, she might also be eligible for a 1 year RRV.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Thanks for your help, really appreciated.
The link you shared says that you can prove personal ties if you have children living in Australia that are citizens or PR holders. So you're right, she might also be eligible for a 1 year RRV.
Thanks again!
Even if she may be eligible, do you really want to submit a complicated application?

At her age I doubt she would like to travel often on such long flights

Apply for a 3 month 155 for the marriage, and then once she completes 2 years in Australia , apply for the 155, which should see her through till she becomes eligible for citizenship

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Even if she may be eligible, do you really want to submit a complicated application?

At her age I doubt she would like to travel often on such long flights

Apply for a 3 month 155 for the marriage, and then once she completes 2 years in Australia , apply for the 155, which should see her through till she becomes eligible for citizenship

Cheers
Its not about traveling often, its more about being able to travel after the expiry date. If 1 year RRV is applied, and it gets rejected in the worst case, will that have any negative effects later on in her 5 year 155 application?

Also, for the 3 month RRV do we need to have a compelling reason for that? Or can it be granted easily if one wants to travel for some family reunion kinda thing?

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Its not about traveling often, its more about being able to travel after the expiry date. If 1 year RRV is applied, and it gets rejected in the worst case, will that have any negative effects later on in her 5 year 155 application?

Also, for the 3 month RRV do we need to have a compelling reason for that? Or can it be granted easily if one wants to travel for some family reunion kinda thing?
3 month RRV is generally given without much issue

The 1 year will require much more evidence

You can consult a Mara agent for the complete process

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts