Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Expats!

I currently hold an Australian Permanent Resident Visa (189). In order to be eligible for applying for Australian citizenship one must stay within the country for 4 X 365 days out of the 5 years visa tenure. If in some case the I am not able to stay for the aforementioned period of 4 X 365 days within the country and get a Resident Return Visa done, then do I again need to freshly stay for 4 X 365 days in the country or the previous days spent during the (former) PR visa will also be counted?

Thanks and regards!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently got 189 too and My consultant told me I need to stay 2 years out of 5 to apply for Citizenship. Is the rule changed recently ? Or the consultant is not updated ? I got grand in May,2015

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I recently got 189 too and My consultant told me I need to stay 2 years out of 5 to apply for Citizenship. Is the rule changed recently ? Or the consultant is not updated ? I got grand in May,2015
The 2 years out of 5 is the requirement for a Resident Return Visa. Not citizenship.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Hello Fellow Expats!

I currently hold an Australian Permanent Resident Visa (189). In order to be eligible for applying for Australian citizenship one must stay within the country for 4 X 365 days out of the 5 years visa tenure. If in some case the I am not able to stay for the aforementioned period of 4 X 365 days within the country and get a Resident Return Visa done, then do I again need to freshly stay for 4 X 365 days in the country or the previous days spent during the (former) PR visa will also be counted?

Thanks and regards!
1- PR does not expire after five years, only entry right expires, so if you're living in Australia past the five years, you're still a PR even if you do not hold an RRV. an RRV is only to be able to exit and return

2- Timer resets only if you lose residency status between two visas

3- requirement is not 4 years within the 5 years entry right validity, it's four years residence with one year total absence and 90 days max absence in fourth year. 90 days are out of the one year total not additional

No ... not right. Let me give you an extreme example. Let's say you perform first entry now, then return home, then move to Australia one day before the 5 year end, then stay 3 years straight, you can apply for citizenship in that case

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Just to make it simple

To be eligible for citizenship you need
1- Live three years on any visa
2- Live at least the fourth year on a PR
3- No gaps of residence or being unlawful or without visa in between
4- Staying in Australia after PR entry right expires is NOT a gap
5- Max absence in the four years is one year
6- Max absence in 4th year is 90 days (out of the one year, not additional)
7- Four years before applying, you must've had a visa and did entry on or before that date.

Example 1: If you move to Australia immediately after securing the PR, you can't apply before 4 years, subject to the rest of conditions

Example 2: if you perform first entry, then return, then move after - say - two years, then you can apply three years after that (if you don't leave during these years), since the year before those three years, although you were outside Australia, you were still an offshore resident who had performed first entry before that date

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Your consultant is several years out of date with his information. Perhaps send him this link:
Application Process For Australian Citizenship (Step 2 explains the residence requirement)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts