Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a topical issue but I have some specific questions.
1) I have been visiting Spain for a few years and have a NIE from about 5 years ago.
2) I, Today have just gone on to the Padron as becoming resident.
3) I want to import my UK Vehicle but am unsure what defines resident for DGT (Do I have to pay 12.5% import duty) or does Padron date define residency date allowing me 28 days?

Any Ideas?

Thank You

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I know it's a topical issue but I have some specific questions.
1) I have been visiting Spain for a few years and have a NIE from about 5 years ago.
2) I, Today have just gone on to the Padron as becoming resident.
3) I want to import my UK Vehicle but am unsure what defines resident for DGT (Do I have to pay 12.5% import duty) or does Padron date define residency date allowing me 28 days?

Any Ideas?

Thank You
The first thing you need to do (IMHO) is to get your certificate of registration (green sheet) - aka, residencia.

You have a limited time from signing on the padron to when you will be required to pay this 'duty or tax'. I'm not sure what that time scale is any more - it may well be 30 days.

Have you owned the car for more than 6 months prior to being in Spain as a resident?

If you go to a gestor fairly sharpish, then you should be OK. You will, of course, need to change front and rear lights straight away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts