Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

My wife and I are both Canadian citizens, but I also hold a UK/European passport.

We're thinking about taking out residency in Spain and need to know how or if this will affect our Canadian residency.

Any thoughts or information would help tremendously.

Many thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Nothing will happen to your Canadian citizenship.

You will go to Spain on your UK passport and exercise your EU Treaty rights.

Your wife will accompany you as the non-EU spouse of an EU citizen.

If/when you want to go to Canada, you will enter the country on your Canadian passport, as you are Canucks.

I'd recommend that you do a Google search on "EU Treaty Rights" for more information.... for all intents and purposes you are an EU Citizen (by virtue of your UK passport), so you and your wife have free and clear access to the entire EU... your Canadian citizenship doesn't come into play in any of this (and the Government of Canada doesn't care if you're a dual citizen and you live outside of Canada)... the key is that you have a UK passport (or a passport from another country within the EU).

ETA: This will all change for you and your wife if the UK chooses to leave the EU... there's a referendum to be held in the UK sometime before the end of 2017 to dedcide if the UK stays or leaves the EU. The date hasn't been set yet, but the end of 2017 is the latest that UK Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the vote will be held... if the UK leaves, you will have to make alternate arrangements as to where you live.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello there!

My wife and I are both Canadian citizens, but I also hold a UK/European passport.

We're thinking about taking out residency in Spain and need to know how or if this will affect our Canadian residency.

Any thoughts or information would help tremendously.

Many thanks !!
I can think of 2 issues related to residency that you'll want to investigate....

1. Canadian taxes. If you move to Spain and sever all ties to Canada, you will not have to pay Canadian taxes on your non-Canadian (worldwide) income and will be taxed as a non-resident on any Canadian income you have.

However, if you keep ties in Canada (like a house you own, keeping a driver's license, keeping a Canadian bank account), CRA may deem you a "factual resident" even if you actually live in Spain. Then you'll have to keep filing Canadian tax returns.

Check out the CRA pages on residency and what you need to do if you want to escape being deemed a "factual resident." I think there's actually a form you can file on leaving Canada to avoid problems. Determining your residency status

2. Health card. You will lose your provincial coverage if you spend more than about 1/2 the year outside of Canada. Each province sets its own rules and I think some are a little more generous than others about how many nights you have to sleep in the province to be eligible for coverage. Check with your provincial health authority.

Spain, sounds lovely. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can think of 2 issues related to residency that you'll want to investigate....

1. Canadian taxes. If you move to Spain and sever all ties to Canada, you will not have to pay Canadian taxes on your non-Canadian (worldwide) income and will be taxed as a non-resident on any Canadian income you have.

However, if you keep ties in Canada (like a house you own, keeping a driver's license, keeping a Canadian bank account), CRA may deem you a "factual resident" even if you actually live in Spain. Then you'll have to keep filing Canadian tax returns.

Check out the CRA pages on residency and what you need to do if you want to escape being deemed a "factual resident." I think there's actually a form you can file on leaving Canada to avoid problems. Determining your residency status

2. Health card. You will lose your provincial coverage if you spend more than about 1/2 the year outside of Canada. Each province sets its own rules and I think some are a little more generous than others about how many nights you have to sleep in the province to be eligible for coverage. Check with your provincial health authority.

Spain, sounds lovely. Hope it works out for you!
Thanks rose petal,
I think I meant to say that we want to take temporary residency in Spain and wish to keep ties with Canada. We wish to spend more than the usual 3 months there.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.