Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi advice please ,just been all the way to palma on the bus from East side mallorca,to apply for residency ,took all what our administrator advised but refused,they have asked for due to the fact we early retired 50,proof of private medical in spanish,bank statements to prove we can support ourselves,marriage certificate blah blah blah,has anyone else met this ridiculous farce,also do you have to become resident, we are living full time have NIE number,don't think I can face being refused again cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On what grounds did they actually refuse you ??

Jo xx
Told to come back with health insurance in spanish and stamped!?,need proof of bank account contents and proof we are self supporting,took us two bloody hours to get there and two back as not bought car yet,Cigna are sending documents in spanish and we got bank statements,if I get told no again were not bothering .people need to know that they need these thinks done our administrator just told us to take filled in app forms and passport ,fuming !

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Told to come back with health insurance in spanish and stamped!?,need proof of bank account contents and proof we are self supporting,took us two bloody hours to get there and two back as not bought car yet,Cigna are sending documents in spanish and we got bank statements,if I get told no again were not bothering .people need to know that they need these thinks done our administrator just told us to take filled in app forms and passport ,fuming !
I'm not sure what an administrator is, but to apply for residencia, as far as I know and have seen, you need to prove you have comprehensive healthcare cover (maybe it needs to be translated into Spanish??) and that you have a regular income of more than 600€ per month per person available to you in a bank account, so that should be shown to them on your bank statements?? Cant you take this administrator person with you??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Easy to see why many don't bother

Also noticed this comment on another thread ( someone was asking about going to work as a plumber in Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldilocks
He would still have to qualify as a resident (650€ + healthcare) even if not working in Spain.

No he doesn't actually have to qualify, just apply.
Failing to meet the criteria to register as a resident in no way bars you from living here. It cannot, EU rules specifically state that .

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Don't take the "administrator". He doesn't seem to know what's what.

Gus Lopez also has his own take on what is needed, and no doubt he's right, but most of us normal earthlings need a resident's certificate to go about life.

Spain, along with other countries, has interpreted the European directive in its own way, as it is entitled to.

What you need is detailed in the FAQ's on the Spain page. The people who didn't give you the resident's certificate were right to do so. You didn't have what you needed, and that is detailed in post one in the FAQ's. Look through the thread and you'll find lots of potentially useful info there!

Rabbit Cat - Todos con Lorca? Copy Cat!

·
Banned
97 Posts
been here three years with full documentation,,,, never had to show it once,,,,, only my NIE once to buy a bike,,, if they want to act like idiots then treat them like idiots,,,,, you've tried with them, so sod them,,,,, as anybody actually been asked for their residence card, I know I haven't,,,,i thought the EU allowed freedom to move around the member states without all the hassle that the Spaniards like to cause their guests at every opportunity,,,, maybe Capricorn was in ascension with Libra on the day you applied,,,, its as good a reason as any.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
been here three years with full documentation,,,, never had to show it once,,,,, only my NIE once to buy a bike,,, if they want to act like idiots then treat them like idiots,,,,, you've tried with them, so sod them,,,,, as anybody actually been asked for their residence card, I know I haven't,,,,i thought the EU allowed freedom to move around the member states without all the hassle that the Spaniards like to cause their guests at every opportunity,,,, maybe Capricorn was in ascension with Libra on the day you applied,,,, its as good a reason as any.
Yes, I havebeen asked for it, not many times admittedly, but for important things like tax and bank accounts.
I know it is difficult for some people to do this paperwork, but it is what is needed to reside legally in Spain.

Nobody asked me to come to Spain, nobody invited me. I am not a guest here. Never have been, never will be.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Yes, many times.

If you have children here then it's essential to be registered on the foreigners list.

We've also needed it recently at the hospital.

It makes life so much easier when you follow the rules. You might think they're stupid, but if that's what we have to do for an easy life .....

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had this discussion on another forum. When I said that if you are here longer than 90 days you need to register on the foreigners list most of the people there said they have never done it and it has not caused them any problems.

Assuming the person does not want to work and does not have children can someone please tell me

What the penalty is for not registering?
How are they found out?
What is there that we can do that they cannot?
Can the person be deported? refused future entry into Spain? Fined?

I know we are supposed to register but when I come across so many people here who have not done so I wonder why we all bothered.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
They CAN be fined

However, and I know this is a subject which stirs emotion- it's quite obviously a rule/ law that is not by any means rigorously enforced as it is very rare to hear of anyone having any action taken against them for not registering.

I have searched and asked on many forums as well as directly asking many who have resided for a long period in Spaîn- and have came up with no more than a handful of POSSIBLE cases where people were fined. 100s of thousands do not register

Of course people should fully comply with all rules etc etc

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
They CAN be fined

However, and I know this is a subject which stirs emotion- it's quite obviously a rule/ law that is not by any means rigorously enforced as it is very rare to hear of anyone having any action taken against them for not registering.

I have searched and asked on many forums as well as directly asking many who have resided for a long period in Spaîn- and have came up with no more than a handful of POSSIBLE cases where people were fined. 100s of thousands do not register

Of course people should fully comply with all rules etc etc
I can't speak for anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned it is the underlying reasons WHY some people do not register which I don't like. They are determined that the authorities, whether in their home countries or here, do not know they are resident, most commonly because they want to evade being taxed as a Spanish resident, are claiming benefits which they should not be entitled to as a Spanish resident, or want to retain use of the NHS which as a non-UK resident they do not have entitlement to.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I don't think any decent/ reasonable person could disagree re people paying their way, taxes etc. Its tantamount to theft, sponging off others etc.

I have no sympathy for anyone caught re tax issues.

90 day registration, yes its the rules and yes it should be complied with. Admittedly I do not view it the same way as I do the tax rules. Shoot me now folks

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
This isn't something unique to Spain though, it's the same in many EU countries and the way I see it it is perfectly reasonable. The limitations are fairly generous so shouldn't be a problem.
The info is readily available online, in the FAQs here and elsewhere and are repeatedly mentioned in thread after thread.
I hope you are not paying this administrator.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
If you take the trouble to find out for yourself what documentation is required for registration, the process is simple.
The rules require that you apply for registration and if you decided to live in Spain surely you stick to the rules, unless as someone has said you want to avoid the responsibilities that go with living in another country. If you can't afford to pay your dues here, you shouldn't be here. Simple. People moan all the time about immigrants doing that in the UK.
NIE is required for buying and registering a vehicle, taking out phone and tv contracts, registering for health care , taking out insurances, opening some kinds of bank accounts, filling in tax forms...
It seems many people live here like 'submarines'...paying no taxes of any kind, avoiding such UK tax as possible, living in Spain but keeping an address in the UK, often through friends or relatives so they can make use of the NHS..
I can think of another term applied to aquatic life which could equally be applied to such folk....

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Wrong- for the short period I have highlighted it is nigh on impossible. I do therefore have every sympathy for those who do not register for a 4 month visit

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't do what we did. We went along to Velez Malaga with all the right paperwork. We had bank statements but were told they had to be certified copies ie. an official bank stamp had to be on them !! Just a warning !! Good luck !!

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Related thread including:
What you may or may not be able to do if you don't have a resident's certificate,
Lots of opinions (of course, and this is my own..." In this country everybody - Spanish or otherwise, have to be registered and be issued with some form of ID and I conform with that as a condition to live legally in Spain. It's a small price to pay IMHO. ")
A link to the fine that may, or may not be given for not being registered...

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...you-dont-apply-residencia-after-6-months.html

·
Banned
97 Posts
Don't do what we did. We went along to Velez Malaga with all the right paperwork. We had bank statements but were told they had to be certified copies ie. an official bank stamp had to be on them !! Just a warning !! Good luck !!
sounds like you unfortunately got 'served' by the person (trying not to ident her, oops) that I had to deal with, flatly refused to help me with one short form, and would only talk to me in Spanish even though I subsequently found out through my gestor that she is perfectly fluent in English, yes I know its spain yadda yadda, but if you work in the foreigner dept and can speak the language of the person sat in front of you, then surely professional etiquette should come to the fore. Don't even get me started about what happened when I went over the road to the nearest bank to pay the fee and have my form stamped, lets just say paying/stamping didn't happen, I had only been in spain a week and I was starting to think mmmmmm maybe just maybe all the stereotype comments you hear about dealing with the Spanish might just have more a grain of truth about them. Go on then a shortened version of the bank experience, basically one of the tellers just kept looking at the form and tapping his watch ???, the other teller was sat there quite literally 'doing her nails', the bank was completely empty!!!!. I walked in as a potential customer (no NIE so no bank account in spain), I walked out vowing to never do business with this bank ever, and after three years I still feel the same, they could have 'signed' me up as a new customer if they had shown any interest in being helpful.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.