Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to UAE in Jan via our EU based company.

Visa:
We have a sponsor in UAE and the sponsor has suggested that during the period of company formation etc, my colleague and I (Expats) obtain residency status via the sponsor, until we are properly up and running. Then transfer the res permit to the new entity.

I am concerned about this and would like to ask some opinions. I was thinking to keep things 100% correct, remain on 30 day visa (renewable via exit/re-entry) until the new entity is established and then make the res visa.

Any thoughts would be appreciated !

Banking: I am thinking to keep my EU bank for personal finances - no need for a local bank account. Its fully Maestro compatible. Anything I need to be aware of that I am overlooking ?

Medical: I already have BUPA priv medical for worldwide cover. No plans to change this. I am sure its fully supported in UAE.

Car: My allowance is generous. I was thinking to rent long term rather than purchase on a monthly basis. I did visit a dealership in UAE, but they mentioned something about 24 cheques - cheques dont exist in Europe anymore ! I guess if I did decide to purchase, a wire transfer monthly would suffice from an EU bank ?

Rental: The 1 year in advance is a worry ! never heard of that anywhere before ! What happens if I decide to move out - and more importantly - how would I get my rent back from the owner ? Is the advance rental held in Escrow ?

Thanks in advance for your input and replies !

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I am moving to UAE in Jan via our EU based company.

Visa:
We have a sponsor in UAE and the sponsor has suggested that during the period of company formation etc, my colleague and I (Expats) obtain residency status via the sponsor, until we are properly up and running. Then transfer the res permit to the new entity.

I am concerned about this and would like to ask some opinions. I was thinking to keep things 100% correct, remain on 30 day visa (renewable via exit/re-entry) until the new entity is established and then make the res visa. It is illegal to work on a visit visa, so you should obtain residency immediately
Any thoughts would be appreciated !

Banking: I am thinking to keep my EU bank for personal finances - no need for a local bank account. Its fully Maestro compatible. Anything I need to be aware of that I am overlooking ? Most compnaies will require you to have a local account for salary to be paid into. Using an overseas account will be more expensive as you will have to keep converting currency. I don't understand why you would not want a simple chequing account.

Medical: I already have BUPA priv medical for worldwide cover. No plans to change this. I am sure its fully supported in UAE. Never assume - check it out. You will have a limited list of acceptable hospitals & clinics

Car: My allowance is generous. I was thinking to rent long term rather than purchase on a monthly basis. I did visit a dealership in UAE, but they mentioned something about 24 cheques - cheques dont exist in Europe anymore ! I guess if I did decide to purchase, a wire transfer monthly would suffice from an EU bank ? And unlikely that will accept a payment in Euros. A money transfer would often be acceptable, but from a local account is best.

Rental: The 1 year in advance is a worry ! never heard of that anywhere before ! What happens if I decide to move out - and more importantly - how would I get my rent back from the owner ? Is the advance rental held in Escrow ? Fairly standard here (& in the sticky thread). No escrow. Getting out depends on wording in your rental contract, but don't expect monies back if you break a lease.

Thanks in advance for your input and replies !
Comments in blue above. Remember that the UAE does not operate as European countries do.

-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.