Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully a simple question (are they ever.....?). My wife and I have been resident in Spain for three years now, having done all the required residency paperwork/requirements on arrival, got our NIEs etc.

We have three kids, all under 18, all of whom have been here in Spain for the full three years, one attending local school, one an international school and one about to enter the local schooling system.

We didn't do any separate applications for the kids residencies when we arrived (as we were told we didn't need to for purposes of local schooling or anything else, which has proved to be accurate), so among other things, they don't have NIEs etc.

Question is whether they are classified as having been resident in Spain for the last three years solely on the basis of being our dependents (and having been here full time during that period), or whether we need to do any specific paperwork for them to be classified as residents.

(kids all have British passports if that makes any difference)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Hopefully a simple question (are they ever.....?). My wife and I have been resident in Spain for three years now, having done all the required residency paperwork/requirements on arrival, got our NIEs etc.

We have three kids, all under 18, all of whom have been here in Spain for the full three years, one attending local school, one an international school and one about to enter the local schooling system.

We didn't do any separate applications for the kids residencies when we arrived (as we were told we didn't need to for purposes of local schooling or anything else, which has proved to be accurate), so among other things, they don't have NIEs etc.

Question is whether they are classified as having been resident in Spain for the last three years solely on the basis of being our dependents (and having been here full time during that period), or whether we need to do any specific paperwork for them to be classified as residents.

(kids all have British passports if that makes any difference)
I would suggest that everyone has:

• NIE
  • Residency certificates/card
  • Padron

There is no down-side to doing this only positives (especially with BREXIT on its way).

Your children will not be classified resident without the (green) residency cards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts