Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Me, my wife and son had got Aus PR about four and a half years back. We came here to Australia and later we went back to Pak for the birth of my daughter. After my daughter was born we applied a child visa for her and then came back when she got the child visa 101.

The residency requirement of four years was will shortly be completing for myself, wife and son. However, since my daughter was born afterwards she would not have lived in Aus for four years by then like the rest of the family.

My question is that is there anyway we she can get citizenship with the rest of the family? or will we have to wait for such time when she completes her four years residency? she is only 3 years old.

I cant find any clear information on the DIBP website on this issue.

Will really appreciate help.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I reckon residency requirement has to be met by all applicants including minor, unless there is some serious hardship only then under Minister Discretion citizenship can be applied without meeting the residency criteria.

Girl Aussie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

Me, my wife and son had got Aus PR about four and a half years back. We came here to Australia and later we went back to Pak for the birth of my daughter. After my daughter was born we applied a child visa for her and then came back when she got the child visa 101.

The residency requirement of four years was will shortly be completing for myself, wife and son. However, since my daughter was born afterwards she would not have lived in Aus for four years by then like the rest of the family.

My question is that is there anyway we she can get citizenship with the rest of the family? or will we have to wait for such time when she completes her four years residency? she is only 3 years old.

I cant find any clear information on the DIBP website on this issue.

Will really appreciate help.
Hey mate, would you be able to provide an update to this? Did you have to wait the full 4 years for your daughter, or were you able to get it beforehand.

If anyone else chime in to share their experience, it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey mate, would you be able to provide an update to this? Did you have to wait the full 4 years for your daughter, or were you able to get it beforehand.

If anyone else chime in to share their experience, it will be much appreciated.
UPDATE:

Found my answer over here
Migrant with permanent residence - eligibility

QUOTE:
"You can include children under 16 years of age in your citizenship application if they are permanent residents.
Children under 16 years of age do not need to meet the residence requirements."
- Going by the above quote, I would presume you did not have to wait for your Daughter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reactions: azerty
1 - 6 of 6 Posts