Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts,

I have been in the Kiwi land for 3 weeks on a work to resident visa, and the place and people are so welcoming and nice.

Now that i have set foot in NZ, would be wanting to get a Resident Visa and weighing my options below,

Skilled Migrant Visa

1. NZQA - 750$
2. English - 400$
3. Visa application - 2400$

Work to Resident Visa
1. Wait for 2 years to be completed with the same employer and then apply for conversion.

My doubts here are,

1. Seeing from above Skilled Migrant Visa sure seems to be tad expensive than the other option but i will be guaranteed for sure that am going to be a resident at the end of 6 month or 9 month process.

2. Considering i go by waiting for 2 years, till 2019, what if the rules change and make me not eligible for the visa. ( Just a doubt or does this look like a risk).

I would also like to know here how successful people were in converting their Work to Resident to a resident Visa.

Looking forward for suggestions and more interaction from the experts.

Cheers,
DON

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
1. You really think the fees for Resident Visa are expensive ? It would allow you (and any partner plus dependents) to live work study in NZ permanently and basically get all the benefits just as if you were a born Kiwi.......can you place a fee on that ?

2. Its a possible risk.

Don't have any experience in converting a WTR visa as I came in on Residency. You don't have to wait the 2 years and can apply for RV immediately assuming you have sufficient points. If it was me I'd apply now before the rules changed or the fees increased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Escapedtonz,

Many thanks again. The cost calculation was a tad bit different assuming you had to convert from Pounds to NZD and me from INR to NZD.

Anyways once the step is taken there is no looking back at the cost. How big is the risk of waiting for two years for WTR to be a resident is what am wondering. Given the current political situation am wondering if that will make any change after the Sept 23rd.

Will keep posted on the updates, but still on the lookout for anyone who has waited for their WTR to be converted to RV.

One thing i missed to ask in the previous post is the option to bring my aged father (70 yrs) who is dependent on only me and a widower, i see that Parent Resident Visa option is temporarily closed, what would be the other chances of getting him to stay on a long term with me?.

Are there any migrant lawyers who write up this case to ministry and things like that?? (Just thinking out loud)

Cheers,
Don

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz,

Many thanks again. The cost calculation was a tad bit different assuming you had to convert from Pounds to NZD and me from INR to NZD.

Anyways once the step is taken there is no looking back at the cost. How big is the risk of waiting for two years for WTR to be a resident is what am wondering. Given the current political situation am wondering if that will make any change after the Sept 23rd.

Will keep posted on the updates, but still on the lookout for anyone who has waited for their WTR to be converted to RV.

One thing i missed to ask in the previous post is the option to bring my aged father (70 yrs) who is dependent on only me and a widower, i see that Parent Resident Visa option is temporarily closed, what would be the other chances of getting him to stay on a long term with me?.

Are there any migrant lawyers who write up this case to ministry and things like that?? (Just thinking out loud)

Cheers,
Don
The risk is unknown as nobody other than government knows what they intend to do with Immigration rules. We, the public only ever find out at the last minute just before the change.

You have no options on a temporary visa for your father. You must be at least of Resident status.
If you do become a Resident then there is the Parent Resident Visa but as you know this is temporarily closed. When and if this will ever open again is unknown and even if it did I guess there's a lot of EOI's already in the pool, so there may be a long wait time.
Other than this there are no other options that I can see. Only dependent children are considered here not dependent parents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Escapedtonz. that really helps. Getting on with the process of RV in a while.

Cheers,
Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
My SMC interview has been done and currently waiting for the visa.

EOI Submitted April,2017
My ITA received in May, 2017
My Resident Application Submitted in June, 2017.
Interview Call December, 2017

1-I have claimed my IQA with Level 9 (Having bachelors and masters in Computer Engineering)
2-I have also claimed my wife IQA points Level 7 (Having bachelors degree in Nursing)
3-I have did my IPENZ assessment successfully and submitted IPENZ letter with my Resident Application.
4-I have applied with SMC Occupation as ICT Software Quality Assurance.
4-Over all my family points are 160.

My interview was done well and it was about 45 minutes, the CO has asked questions to my wife as well, we have demonstrated that we will able to get the Job in 1-2 months as we have good friends support in NZ and good job prospect.

But I am not sure what visa I will get either Resident or WTR. Please advise what visa we can get, Since our case is submitted before the policy changed, also we have good educational and work experience.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
My SMC interview has been done and currently waiting for the visa.

EOI Submitted April,2017
My ITA received in May, 2017
My Resident Application Submitted in June, 2017.
Interview Call December, 2017

1-I have claimed my IQA with Level 9 (Having bachelors and masters in Computer Engineering)
2-I have also claimed my wife IQA points Level 7 (Having bachelors degree in Nursing)
3-I have did my IPENZ assessment successfully and submitted IPENZ letter with my Resident Application.
4-I have applied with SMC Occupation as ICT Software Quality Assurance.
4-Over all my family points are 160.

My interview was done well and it was about 45 minutes, the CO has asked questions to my wife as well, we have demonstrated that we will able to get the Job in 1-2 months as we have good friends support in NZ and good job prospect.

But I am not sure what visa I will get either Resident or WTR. Please advise what visa we can get, Since our case is submitted before the policy changed, also we have good educational and work experience.

Thanks
Since you submitted before the most recent visa changes without a job offer the outcomes open to you will be Resident Visa approval, Job Search Visa for principal applicant only or decline of the application.
WTR is not an option. You must have a job offer from an accredited employer for WTR.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you provide information regarding the Job Search Visa, for example

1) how much it normally take to find the job in NZ in the field of IT with Job Search visa?
2) What are the benefits one can avail from government like insurance, medical etc. with Job search visa?
3) If Job is found, then when should apply for resident visa?
4) What is the time period of Job Search Visa?
5) How much money a person should bring to live in NZ with Job Search Visa?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Skilled Migrant Category Job Search visa is approved and I am going to apply for the visa in next few days.

it will allow me to work in any job, for any employer in New Zealand.

I have been informed that When Once I obtain an offer of ongoing skilled employment (as per immigration instructions), I must let Immigration New Zealand (INZ) know. If my employment meets the criteria for skilled employment, they will assess me as having demonstrated an ability to settle in and contribute to New Zealand and they will approve my application for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category. They have mentioned that I do not need to wait for the end of my deferral period before having my residence application further assessed. As soon as I obtained an offer of ongoing employment, I should provide the details of the employment to my nearest INZ office, where it will be assessed.

Here, I need following information regarding such Job Search Visa

1) What should be the Pay Scale of Job that I must obtained to meet the criteria?
2) Should I get the contract Job or Permanent Job?
3) what are the other assessment criteria that I must meet?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Can you provide information regarding the Job Search Visa, for example

1) how much it normally take to find the job in NZ in the field of IT with Job Search visa?
2) What are the benefits one can avail from government like insurance, medical etc. with Job search visa?
3) If Job is found, then when should apply for resident visa?
4) What is the time period of Job Search Visa?
5) How much money a person should bring to live in NZ with Job Search Visa?

Thanks
1) How long is a piece of string ? Nobody can estimate how long it will take a person to find a job in NZ.
2) None. You aren't eligible for any assistance due to your visa status.
3) As soon as you have a skilled permanent job offer in writing.
4) I think the JSV that is offered in lieu of a Resident Visa via SMC is 12 months.
5) You will need to prove you have sufficient funds to live in NZ for the period of the visa. Minimum is NZ $4200 for 12 months. This can be reduced if you can provide evidence that you have already paid for accommodation.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
My Skilled Migrant Category Job Search visa is approved and I am going to apply for the visa in next few days.

it will allow me to work in any job, for any employer in New Zealand.

I have been informed that When Once I obtain an offer of ongoing skilled employment (as per immigration instructions), I must let Immigration New Zealand (INZ) know. If my employment meets the criteria for skilled employment, they will assess me as having demonstrated an ability to settle in and contribute to New Zealand and they will approve my application for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category. They have mentioned that I do not need to wait for the end of my deferral period before having my residence application further assessed. As soon as I obtained an offer of ongoing employment, I should provide the details of the employment to my nearest INZ office, where it will be assessed.

Here, I need following information regarding such Job Search Visa

1) What should be the Pay Scale of Job that I must obtained to meet the criteria?
2) Should I get the contract Job or Permanent Job?
3) what are the other assessment criteria that I must meet?

Thanks
1) Read SM6.10 Skilled Employment of https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/
2) Permanent.
3) Read the other parts of the Ops Manual pertaining to Skilled Migrant Category.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am on Skilled Category Job Search Visa and have 1 year fix term contract, I have following questions

1) What documents I would required to submit initially to immigration office to assign Case officer?
2) How much immigration take time to approve the resident visa?
3) What documents are required to submit to stamp resident visa on passport?
4) How much they take time to process the resident visa on passports?

I have listen that following documents are required initially to assign Case officer

1) Contract Document
2) Job Description
3) IRD Number
4) Pay Slip

Following documents are required to stamp visa on passport

1) Passports
2) Pay slips of three months

Please provide accurate information about the above documents, or any other document required on each step that would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
I am on Skilled Category Job Search Visa and have 1 year fix term contract, I have following questions

1) What documents I would required to submit initially to immigration office to assign Case officer?
2) How much immigration take time to approve the resident visa?
3) What documents are required to submit to stamp resident visa on passport?
4) How much they take time to process the resident visa on passports?

I have listen that following documents are required initially to assign Case officer

1) Contract Document
2) Job Description
3) IRD Number
4) Pay Slip

Following documents are required to stamp visa on passport

1) Passports
2) Pay slips of three months

Please provide accurate information about the above documents, or any other document required on each step that would be very helpful. Thanks
You should already have a case officer who has initially approved you for the Job Search Visa. All you should need to do now is provide that Case Officer with the written job offer from your company which is the evidence required to show you have a skilled job offer. Assuming what you provide is sufficient then the case officer should approve Resident Visa for you and anyone else on your original application. Should only take a matter of days.
You will need to provide final fees and all passports so the visas can be applied.
If you have to send everything by courier and then wait for passports to be couriered back it could take a few weeks for you to have the passports in hand with visas entered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my one year contract there may be few months in which I will have to work for 20 Hrs per week. I need to know if my contract must be full time (40hr per week) or it can be flexible i.e. 20hr per week.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
In my one year contract there may be few months in which I will have to work for 20 Hrs per week. I need to know if my contract must be full time (40hr per week) or it can be flexible i.e. 20hr per week.
Nope. Has to be what is classed as a permanent role which is minimum 12 months and full time hours, whatever they may be but I'd guess at least 37hrs per week although 40hrs per week is the standard for NZ.
You can try but unlikely Immigration will consider your job offer meets the criteria.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am in process of getting a job offer in NZ. This job will be on a Work to residence visa (Accredited Employer). I understand that with this visa, I will be able to obtain an NZ PR after 2 years if I remain employed with same employer.

My questions are:

1. Holding this work to residence visa - Can I apply for my PR independently, using point system? as I don't want to wait for 2 years for PR mainly due to uncertainty which future brings.
2. Having work to residence visa should add 50 points to my independent PR application, and I have better chance for getting a PR. Is this correct?
3. How long does it take to get independent PR approved?

I am very new to the NZ immigration system. Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am in process of getting a job offer in NZ. This job will be on a Work to residence visa (Accredited Employer). I understand that with this visa, I will be able to obtain an NZ PR after 2 years if I remain employed with same employer.

My questions are:

1. Holding this work to residence visa - Can I apply for my PR independently, using point system? as I don't want to wait for 2 years for PR mainly due to uncertainty which future brings.
2. Having work to residence visa should add 50 points to my independent PR application, and I have better chance for getting a PR. Is this correct?
3. How long does it take to get independent PR approved?

I am very new to the NZ immigration system. Would really appreciate any help. Thanks
1. The intention of this visa is to allow you 2 years to sample living and working in NZ and then if you like NZ it offers you a pathway to Residency (NOT PR - you can only get PR after holding a permanent class visa for min 2 years).
Yes you can apply for SMRV as soon as you are in NZ. You can use the job offer points towards the application.

2. Yes.

3. Several moths to a year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. The intention of this visa is to allow you 2 years to sample living and working in NZ and then if you like NZ it offers you a pathway to Residency (NOT PR - you can only get PR after holding a permanent class visa for min 2 years).

Yes you can apply for SMRV as soon as you are in NZ. You can use the job offer points towards the application.

2. Yes.

3. Several moths to a year.
Thanks for the response.

Let's say, I apply SMRV as soon as I am in NZ and this gets approved in 1 year. So this SMRV visa will not be a PR?

Is there any way to obtain PR before 2 years given I have a job in NZ and living in NZ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Let's say, I apply SMRV as soon as I am in NZ and this gets approved in 1 year. So this SMRV visa will not be a PR?

Is there any way to obtain PR before 2 years given I have a job in NZ and living in NZ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
No.
SMRV is Skilled Migrant Resident Visa and you would apply just like anybody else would, however you would be applying from within NZ and you'd already be working here in a skilled job so you would obviously gain the points for that on the EOI.
Once SMRV is approved this makes the WTR Visa null and void and the clock starts ticking from the date the SMRV is activated for a period of 2 years until you can apply for PR. During this time the SMRV will have a travel condition meaning you can come and go as you pleased for a period of 2 years only (however if you do leave it affects your eligibility for PR. Once you have satisfied the minimum period on a permanent class visa (SMRV) and you also meet one of five other criteria relating to your commitment to stay and pay a small processing fee you may get PR.

No there is no other way. It could be possible that you can gain PR after holding WTR visa for at least 2 years - assuming you just went along with that intended route but I'm not absolutely sure. I know you can apply for Residency whilst here on WTR but that is via the SMRV route which could take you out of the intended WTR process.

Reactions: MN8
1 - 20 of 21 Posts