Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Really asking for our neighbours .... we have obtained our residencia and they are in the process but have been told they have to have their birth certificates and their marriage certificates translated into Spanish ... they both hold British passports and were married in Northern Ireland ... never heard of this before - has anyone else please ? :confused:

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
Hi everyone

Really asking for our neighbours .... we have obtained our residencia and they are in the process but have been told they have to have their birth certificates and their marriage certificates translated into Spanish ... they both hold British passports and were married in Northern Ireland ... never heard of this before - has anyone else please ? :confused:
yes this is quite normal / common - though an apostille should be sufficient

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
We didn't have to. We've had nothing translated since arriving here 9 years ago.

I'm not sure that we even had to show those documents (so long ago I can't remember).

Maybe the rules have changed.

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
We didn't have to. We've had nothing translated since arriving here 9 years ago.

I'm not sure that we even had to show those documents (so long ago I can't remember).

Maybe the rules have changed.
neither did we

but from around April 2012 apostilles / translations have been required

as is usual, not all offices at the same tiem, but eventually all of them

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hi everyone

Not for residencia, only when we applied for nationality.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
yes - before 2012 ........
2013 we applied for Nationality, having had residencia since 2001, all documents for the Nationality application had to be translated by an official Spanish translator, all originals submitted with the application, none incidentally have been returned. The application is still being considered.

·
Registered
381 Posts
2013 we applied for Nationality, having had residencia since 2001, all documents for the Nationality application had to be translated by an official Spanish translator, all originals submitted with the application, none incidentally have been returned. The application is still being considered.
Have you chased up your application? Here in Galicia, they tell you it can take between 6 months to a year but in fact mine, and a friend's took less. But more than a year seems excessive to me. Have you had an interview with extranjería? I had to present duplicates of some of my previous documents and a couple of extra things. I had to apply to have my original documents returned but they arrived within a month.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Have you chased up your application? Here in Galicia, they tell you it can take between 6 months to a year but in fact mine, and a friend's took less. But more than a year seems excessive to me. Have you had an interview with extranjería? I had to present duplicates of some of my previous documents and a couple of extra things. I had to apply to have my original documents returned but they arrived within a month.
Yes we were told 8 months, however in practice it takes, 18 months and over, some friends from Argentina have been waiting over 2 years, I would re iterate our application is not for residencia, but for Spanish nationality. We have chased the application and are told that the papers are in Madrid.

Things are somewhat different here, we do not have an extranjeria, neither do we have Policia National. Applications for residencia are dealt with by the office, Delegation, that issues driving licences and passports.

The applications for Nationality were dealt with by the law courts.

Our world appears to be different to other places in Spain, if one didn't see the Spanish flag flying, one would think we are another country, even our clocks are on a different time zone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts