Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could anyone here recommend someone in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria to manage filing my residence paperwork and also my personal income tax. I work overseas and am living on the islands... I already have my NIE but now need to become official resident due to tax reasons.
I would appreciate any information concerning the right people/ organisation to look for, or any contact details. Many thanks

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If you are UK national but dont have residency you can not live for more than 90 days without a visa. An NIE is just a number it confers no rights. You perhaps need to give more information about your nationality, where you are officially resident and where your place of work is- then it is easier for folk to give some advice because when you say that you need to become officially resident for tax reasons alarm bells start ringing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are UK national but dont have residency you can not live for more than 90 days without a visa. An NIE is just a number it confers no rights. You perhaps need to give more information about your nationality, where you are officially resident and where your place of work is- then it is easier for folk to give some advice because when you say that you need to become officially resident for tax reasons alarm bells start ringing!
LoL:). interesting reply, thanks. I am officially resident in UK, although I haven't been there in a couple years now as I spend all my free time on the islands. I work offshore in the energy sector for 2-3 months trips away at work. I am living in gran canaria but I usually spend less than 90 days home at any given time. I currently file my taxes in the UK yearly, and have been lucky enough to be able to file with non-resident status due to not being in country for any substantial period of time. But now my tax advisor has said that I must officially file for residence in the islands if I am planning to continue living all of my free time there..

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
So you are not a spanish resident but British. To be a Spanish resident now you will need a visa and one that allows you to work. This you can not obtain in Spain but in a UK embassy. I'm not sure how it works but you might have to declare as self employed as an employee of a uk company has to okay that with company so they arrange your SS payments. You probably need to get more legal advice about this as you seem to suggest that you think that your NIE means that you just get residency and then pay tax which unfortunately since brexit is not the case. Obviously I am assuming in all this you arent a EU national.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I think we need to distinguish better between tax resident, something which you don't choose freely as it is inferred by application of preestablished rules, and legal residency, i.e. immigration status which of course must be adhered to to avoid being an illegal resident.

If the OP's accountant is saying they need to become an "official resident" for tax reasons, to me this implies that they have become a tax resident and therefore have to file a return in order to comply with the Spanish tax rules.

As far as I am aware you can, quite legally, be a tax resident and need to file a declaración de la renta, for example because Spain is your center of economic activity, but not need any visa or resident's permit, e.g. if you don't work in Spain nor overstay. The OP already has his tax ID number (NIE).

OP, sorry that I can't recommend a gestor to sort out the situation, but I would be very hesitant about trying to get a resident's permit (assuming that this is what the accountant is recommending, its not entirely clear forom your posts) if you don't actually need one.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
But if the OP is absent for 2 -3 months a year and spends rest of time in Spain and not in uk doesnt that mean that he needs to be a Spanish resident? Hence the reason his centre of financial interest is Spain and therefore he cant claim to be a non- resident?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The OP says trips of 2-3 months off-shore. That could well be 3 times a year, meaning only 3 cumulative months on shore.
Typically off-shore energy workers don't spend more than 90 days in any one country between work placements, and can therefore "live" wherever they want as long as they comply with the entry / exit requirements (i.e. don't overstay).

Let's wait and see if the OP wants to even give more details, we are not the "experts" he is looking for!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts